Great British Locomotives

EddieB

The good news is that the footplate, once you've sliced open some holes, and hacked away some plastic, is a virtually straight fit for the Bachmann boiler and cab assembly.

...Sincliair....

Would that be Isla Sincliair (sic) - where is she now? Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

The good news is that the footplate, once you've sliced open some holes, and hacked away some plastic, is a virtually straight fit for the Bachmann boiler and cab assembly.

Would that be Isla Sincliair (sic) - where is she now?

She married a guy called White.

:-)

In respect of the peaks...what a transformation....for my sins I've given up with the plasticard inserts...it just dosnt replicate the fullness of the bonnet...these on the other hand....excellent. I have completed however conversions to D9 and d10 using grilles supplied by olivios stores...d9 is in rail blue...d10 in economy green...won't post as they are from Bachmann models not the GBL ones...back to wolfs peaks howver ...fantastic

:offtopic:

I really like the squeeks and squawks from a 56K dial up line....it reminds me of cassete tape progarms loading to the early computers...you know, Acorn Electron, BBC Model B, Dragon 32, Commodore Vic 20 (and C64!), Sincliair ZX81 and ZX Spectrum, etc.....

Memories are made of this....silicon Memory modules that is.... ;)

Here you are Sarah just for you

Sorry for going off topic

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

Just a quick question; did any of the N class ever wear the black-with-green-lining livery in Southern days?

Just a quick question; did any of the N class ever wear the black-with-green-lining livery in Southern days?

I've looked in Brian Haresnape's book "Railway Liveries Southern Railway" and the Oakwood Press book "Maunsell Moguls" by Peter Rowledge.  The later states

"Apart from the W class the Southern used the green livery in both Maunsell and the malachite of Bulleid, until wartime conditions  made it necessary to use a plain black livery. A few in the very earliest SR years ran in the LSWR shade of green. The W class was always black but #1911-15 had when new a single green line".

The Brian Haresnape book differentiates between passenger and goods classes. Only some goods locos were black with a dark green lining (later emerald green) until 1935/6 after which all goods locos were painted black after overhaul.

So as the N class was a mixed traffic loco, it wouldn't have been in the purely goods loco category and would have carried the passenger loco livery.

Of course if some of the parts were used for a W class (now there's a thought!).....

I guess the short answer to your question is no.

Hope that helps.

Edited by railroadbill

According to Wikipedia it's 4P5F.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECR_N_class

Confirmed here

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/nclass_01.html

Agree, just a bit more information, the U class (and U1) was classed as 4P/3F from 1954, and N and N1 were indeed 4P/5F, according to Oakwood press book "Maunsell Moguls".  They were all 4MT originally from 1949.

Guest spet0114

I've looked in Brian Haresnape's book "Railway Liveries Southern Railway" and the Oakwood Press book "Maunsell Moguls" by Peter Rowledge.  The later states

"Apart from the W class the Southern used the green livery in both Maunsell and the malachite of Bulleid, until wartime conditions  made it necessary to use a plain black livery. A few in the very earliest SR years ran in the LSWR shade of green. The W class was always black but #1911-15 had when new a single green line".

The Brian Haresnape book differentiates between passenger and goods classes. Only some goods locos were black with a dark green lining (later emerald green) until 1935/6 after which all goods locos were painted black after overhaul.

So as the N class was a mixed traffic loco, it wouldn't have been in the purely goods loco category and would have carried the passenger loco livery.

Of course if some of the parts were used for a W class (now there's a thought!).....

I guess the short answer to your question is no.

Hope that helps.

It does indeed help. Many thanks for taking the time to look into the matter and post what you found.

Cheers

Adrian

It was an innovative loco in it's day, reasonably high boiler pressure, superheated, long travel valves, taper boiler, outside valve gear for easier maintenance, standardisation of parts among a family of locos.  More significant than given credit for, plus the story of many being built at Woolwich Arsenal, so I've always found them interesting. Plus there were a lot around where I went on holiday during my formative spotter years, down in the West Country so a favourite for me.

For a loco first built in 1917, still being built in 1934 and lasting nearly to the end of steam (certainly until steam finished in their area of use), they didn't do too badly.

Edited by railroadbill

In respect of the peaks...what a transformation....for my sins I've given up with the plasticard inserts...it just dosnt replicate the fullness of the bonnet...these on the other hand....excellent. I have completed however conversions to D9 and d10 using grilles supplied by olivios stores...d9 is in rail blue...d10 in economy green...won't post as they are from Bachmann models not the GBL ones...back to wolfs peaks howver ...fantastic

Seconded....wolf27's peak conversion looks excellent.

Out of interest where did you source the cabs for the conversion wolf?

Regards

Tony.

As I remember it dial up was rather expensive and you had to be very careful that you had disconnected at the end of every session.  An exciting technology though when I put a modem card in my Windows 98 desk top.....

I remember the day I finally bought a Diamond 56k modem, and thought I had really gone up in the world....

In fact, I unearthed it the other day....

• Like 4

Would that be Isla Sincliair (sic) - where is she now?

Isla St. Clair is still around - a mate of mine interviewed her a while back.

http://www.xnmedia.co.uk/index.php/news/reading/item/2241-isla-st-clair-to-celebrate-scotland-with-reading-scottish-pipe-band

She's on the cover of the latest issue of Xn magazine but I forgot to pick one up this morning.

One other thing I have spotted regarding the GBL "N" footplate moulding is that the curved "drop" of the footplate end is slightly too deep if you are sliding the Bachmann cabsides in. I'll have to check this against the few drawings I have - it's either:

- the GBL footplate is correct and the Bachmann cabsides are not deep enough; or

- the Bachmann cabsides are correct, and the GBL footplate drop is too deep

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

STILL :offtopic:

:offtopic:

I really like the squeeks and squawks from a 56K dial up line....it reminds me of cassete tape progarms loading to the early computers...you know, Acorn Electron, BBC Model B, Dragon 32, Commodore Vic 20 (and C64!), Sincliair ZX81 and ZX Spectrum, etc.....

Memories are made of this....silicon Memory modules that is.... ;)

I used to love the BBC B especially when it acquired a 5 1/4 inch disk drive but was slightly amazed many years later to find that on a 56K dial up (broadband hadn't yet reached the remote rural community of Ealing!) I was able to load a complete BBC-B emulator and a copy of "Aviator" for my PC in less than a minute. 

I did have a very frustraitng experience with a dial up modem in 1987 trying to film a demonstration of international email. Email was then quite novel so we filmed Lesley Judd writing a script on a plane using a Toshiba 1000 (an early laptop very compact so popular with journalists).and then using a phone at Schiphol airport to send it back to the office. We were demonstrating something called Telecom Gold and its Dutch counterpart which I think constituted the first international public email service. The trouble was that though we knew it worked from Amsterdam, the phone lines between there and Schiphol were very noisy and it took four or five attempts and a lot of wasted film to get the wretched thing to connect. Being the BBC we had a strict rule about never faking demonstrations, we did as many as possible on live TV,  so it had to happen for real. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

STILL :offtopic:

I used to love the BBC B especially when it acquired a 5 1/4 inch disk drive but was slightly amazed many years later to find that on a 56K dial up (broadband hadn't yet reached the remote rural community of Ealing!) I was able to load a complete BBC-B emulator and a copy of "Aviator" for my PC in less than a minute. .....

I still have some 5.25in floppies for the BBC "B". One of them has that classic game "Chuckie Egg"....

• Like 1

Seconded....wolf27's peak conversion looks excellent.

Out of interest where did you source the cabs for the conversion wolf?

Regards

Tony.

That's what I'd like to know as well please. Thanks Tony. Those grilles look really fine detail and the nose end itself looks to be the corrrect height. Does anyone produce replacement body grilles for 45/46s too?

I still have some 5.25in floppies for the BBC "B". One of them has that classic game "Chuckie Egg"....

Ahhhh.... the days when 32k RAM was enough for anyone......

My loft is full of antique computers; including a BBC B and a Tosh 1000 (still works, though the batteries have long gone south).  I've also got a BBC Prestel modem, a pre-Hayes 300 baud modem, and all the subsequent standards inc 14.4, 28, 33 and 56.....  Most of the stuff really does need to see the inside of a recycling bin now!

Back on topic, my local sainsbugs had an N class last week, though I didn't buy it - it was particularly hump-backed about the firebox!  I may have a look at the Britannia when it emerges.  Anyone have a clue about the loco after the Brit?

• Like 1

Here's the gap which shows up when the Bachmann assembly is mated to the GBL footplate. Other than that, the combination doesn't look too bad....

Next step is to lengthen the footplate at the front and modify the frames to curved tops to represent the re-framed engines.

post-6879-0-99312200-1429634134_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-74694300-1429634141_thumb.jpg

• Like 5