RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

There must be a way of signing up to the Atlas Ellok series.

I tried, but Germany is the only country option. I can't see it being offered in the future in this country either - we've got the Z scale 'Great Trains of the World' series at the moment.

EDIT This one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ATLAS-EDITIONS-MINI-TRAINS-FLYING-SCOTSMAN-1-220-Z-GAUGE-CARRIAGES-/111777964424?hash=item1a067c6188

(Available direct from Atlas for £1.99!)

There are plenty of Atlas locomotives on eBay (despite the description "00" on one, they are around TT scale). There appears to be no rush as nearly all of them are "0 bids". No 'Crocs' however, just the backing card (in French).

Edited by Il Grifone

Dear all if you want to see some great modelling londontram and his conversion of a gbl t9 to a Caley dunlastair...sorry don't know how to show the webpage reference...however if you put in Steve Caledonian workbench making a 440....shoukd get you there....some of you have already visited..well worth the trip..

I'm an admirer of Steve's work too, as well as the choice of subject. If you think back 18 months or so, you can see a staggering development in his work. This link gets you there.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92190-steve-caledonian-work-bench-making-a-brace-of-scottish-4-4-0s/

Edited by Buhar
  • Like 1

Thanks buhar for providing the link..I remember the response from fellow posters on seeing the work on the b12 chassis ..it inspired me to buy one.....donated the redundant body to my friend...still in my to do list...

• Like 1

Goodness chaps your making me blush, There's two Dunalastair's on the go a Dunalastair I and a Dunalastair III only the first is built round the GBL T9 as for that model I needed a narrow splasher model and as I needed to shorten the boiler I thought the plastic boiler would be easier to work on than the Hornby metal one. For the other one the Dunalastair III I needed a wide splasher body so went for a Hornby body but they are both mounted on cut down B12 chassis and can be swapped back and forth though the wheel base of the Dunalastair I is a few mm shorter mainly in the gap between the front bogie and the driving wheels. Rather than divert resources I've decided to finish the Dunalastair III first as you can see on that link.

The other loco that's just about done that has some GBL influence is the Caledonian 492 0-8-0 tank which used a GBL T9 boiler, smoke box and back head in its construction. Here's a picture of the tank loco as it is at the moment

post-17847-0-47896700-1443166694.jpg

Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1

Hi horsetan as per our pms really looking forward to seeing your work in this model.........

It's slowed down a bit due to work, and discovering a couple of snags, but I bought a P4 rewheel pack (4800/9) from AGW whilst at Scaleforum. For £18 you get twelve Western disc wheels plus six pinpoint axles that you have to trim flush with the wheel face. The provision of pinpoint axles is a bit bizarre, since it would have made more sense and involved less work to provide the correct plain-ended axles. I had some plain P4 axles lying around, so I used those.

AGW packs are 100% DIY, so this means unclipping the bottom cover of the Heljan bogie casing, lifting out the OO wheelsets, and removing the final drive cogs from the OO axles. You can probably see the difference between the OO wheelset and the P4 one.

post-6879-0-58891100-1443174160_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-39965100-1443174185_thumb.jpg

You then have to wang the P4 axles through the cogs, making sure they end up as near to dead centre as you can manage. The measurement from the face of the cog to the end of the axle should work out at about 8.7mm each side. With each cog being a force fit, it's not easy, but you have to do it, otherwise the bogie will hit problems negotiating curves or pointwork.

post-6879-0-50206700-1443174350_thumb.jpg

I used a 17.87mm back to back gauge (Exactoscale) and a GW wheel press for mounting the wheels and setting the gauge.

post-6879-0-95233600-1443174428_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-47192000-1443174673_thumb.jpg

... You can probably see the difference between the OO wheelset and the P4 one ...

Functionally identical aren't they, axle, flange, tyre tread? The OO set definitely have the edge on realistic muckiness.

... You then have to wang the P4 axles through the cogs ...

There's a happy discovery, the bowdlerisation monitor doesn't mind you using your wang for the job, instead of giving it a whang. :-)

....The OO set definitely have the edge on realistic muckiness.....

They were so mucky that they weren't picking up any electric current.

The P4 sets now in place now have a slight problem in that the original Heljan p/b pickup strip doesn't stretch far enough to touch the backs of the tyres, so I can see a ticklish session with some extra p/b strip and a soldering iron coming up.....

I hadn't fitted any washers to take up excess side-play because there isn't any - the geartrains are kept within the bogie casing, and that automatically means the driven axles aren't going anywhere. Similarly the undriven centre axle is restrained by the plastic outside frames, so that's not going anywhere either.....

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Wheel treads on the prototype are polished steel, unless the vehicle has not been moved for a while. Then they are rusty, but never brass coloured.

(Pedantic mode off - I have masses of brass wheels  :secret:)

Edited by Il Grifone

Hi all,

Some one earlier on this thread posted a very helpful web site that listed the equivilent paint matches for the big 4 to the current available canned spray paints.I have lost the address, Would some one kindly repost the address as i need to find the correct paint colour to respary a GWR 28xx in the correct colour(Or near as dammit) for the early GWR frieght engines with the button logo green.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by cypherman

• RMweb Premium

It was http://www.bradfordmrc.org.uk/useful%20data.html

Though to be honest I've had little luck in finding some of those paints. Peugeot Blue as Caledonoan Blue looks lovely, though.

Don't expect to find all of the listed matches at your local Halfords.

Seek out a nearby motor factor - ie. motor maintenance and bodywork supplies wholesaler.

They will offer you a bewildering array of colour swatches for you to go through - you should be able to have rattle cans filled with any colour you care to name.

You can also specify the paint type - acrylic, lacquer, cellulose, etc., as well as gloss, satin or matt.

Regards,

John isherwood.

Hi all,

Thank you Smiffy2,

The Rover Brooklands green is very good for BR green, I have used it on a couple of loco's. They say that Ford Damask is a good match for LMS engines, But i have found that Renault Etruscan red is better IMHO.

Anyway thanks again.

.....the bowdlerisation monitor doesn't mind you using your wang for the job, instead of giving it a whang. :-)

All the P4 wheels have now been well-and-truly wanged in now. Looks a hell of a lot better, although the Heljan brake blocks still don't line up with the wheel treads.

The mazak underframe still needs more filing as it's causing the central part of the GBL shell to bulge at the bottom which is really annoying.

Hi all,

Well as the series is now over I had a thought.We are all model railway lovers with a PC. I womdered what your desktops looked like.Are they railway related. So here is my desktop. I would be interested to see yours.

I am just a curious sort of guy really.

post-21711-0-50381200-1443480126_thumb.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 4

They think it's all over. It is now.

Yep - just the post-whatsit-wind-down....

Alternate Wednesdays aren't just the same anymore!

As for PC desktops, here's my current view.

post-21933-0-27535300-1443515950.jpg

Hornby Fowler 4P just hanging around.

Just to remind myself to get it finished and go back to re-engineering the big layout...

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Well as the series is now over I had a thought.We are all model railway lovers with a PC. I womdered what your desktops looked like.Are they railway related. So here is my desktop. I would be interested to see yours.

I am just a curious sort of guy really.

post-2274-0-66881500-1443519348_thumb.jpg

This keeps reminding me what I should be spending time on - instead of idling away here on the PC; (Evercreech Junction, S&DJR, 1961).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 5