Great British Locomotives

EddieB

The "young lady" is, of course one of the celebrated Eadweard Muybridges studies in "locomotion". A series of cameras were triggered by shutter strings as the subject moved along a path. He studied movement of all forms, including racehorses and bison! Given his name, you can tell he was a High Victorian asthete and so any human figure would naturally be "undraped" for the camera.  Male or female, if he took your photos, you got your kit off... 

May I refer you to his wikipedia entry ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eadweard_Muybridge), which includes an animation of the sequence "boys playing leapfrog".  Ahem!

He was also notorious for getting off a murder rap in the USA.

Right.

Got my "Locomotion Number 1" this morning, and was struck by the tinyness of the model.  Its obviously not going to be a runner, unlike others in the series, but I thought a diorama of "Coal staithes at Stockton" would be a suitable tribute to such a delicate loco. 

As for the overall colour of the loco, if you've ever seen the working replica at Beamish

its clear that the overall "grey" is how it probably would have looked in service.  DS notes that its like the Bachman "pewter" tone, but that's a fair represention in my view; just tone everything except the motion down with a dirty black paintbrush!

can't spell.  Hmph!!!

Edited by Hroth

Certainly underscale. The HMRS tome list Locomotion as having a 5'2" coupled wheelbase and 13'2" high over chimney. Tender wheelbase is 4'7". Drawing in the book appears to be to 4mm scaleand measures 92.5mm front front of chimney to dumb buffer on tender. The GBL model is 74mm for the same dimension.

Edited by MikeTrice

Certainly underscale. The HMRS tome list Locomotion as having a 5'2" coupled wheelbase and 13'2" high over chimney. Tender wheelbase is 4'7". Drawing in the book appears to be to 4mm scaleand measures 92.5mm front front of chimney to dumb buffer on tender. The GBL model is 74mm for the same dimension.

Hmm, at 1:96 that dimension would be 73.45mm :sungum:

Suppose we'll just have to scratchbuild a 4mm one using these and other known dimensions.

The GBL one is quite cute, though.

go one today.it is small.given that the Bachmann model was O scale, I would think this is close to HO, that way they would get it to fit on 16.5mm gauge track. I think I will keep this in wrapping till I find somewhere for it, as it is probably fragile. Now all I have to do is order the missing no 40 and set is complete. Would have been nice to have more models, but in some ways pleased to see it has now ended.

• RMweb Premium

Got mine today pity it's a little small. However it is a lovely little model.

We now know why the magazine cover does not say "authentic 00 gauge model"

And I think we should give them credit for not claiming it as 00 when it isn't.

(Unlike Bachmann with their "00" tamper...)

Just got the last Locomotion in WHS Wigan.

Tinchy little thing, though nicely done. I'll leave it on its display track on the shelf above my layout, looking down on my "modern" stuff !! Incidentally there was a separate paper note in the mag indicating this is the last model in the series.

The only one (two actually) that I have motorised is the Brush type 4. Just right for my layout and was a good use for 2 lima chassis with battered bodies I got given ages ago.

I did not get them all, missed a few, passed a few. My favourites are the Black 5, Black 8, Director and Scot, all of which are static on my main layout as "siding fillers"

Many of the others will be weathering fodder for my soon to be built Wigan Central Wagon scrapyard scene, poor things. Others are not right for either, but are very nice and will go on display.

Overall an excellent series, good value for money. I will miss the fortnightly trip to WHS Wigan, which nearly always had a few on the shelf.

There's been some interesting stuff posted here re modifications / motorising. Not for me, but interesting stuff nonetheless.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Got a 'phone call from the lady at the newsagents who has dealt with my 'regular order' throughout the series, telling me my copies had arrived.

Called at the shop only a little later to find another lady behind the counter.

Only one copy in the carton they're usually set aside in, but noticed a second on the general sales shelf. Asked for my regular order of

two copies and the lady's face went pale.

"Eeeh! do you get both of these ?" "Yes" says I, "every issue, almost every fortnight." "Eeeeh, I'm sorry, I tried to sell that one this morning" (pointing to the copy now on the sales shelf. "Glad you didn't" I said with a slight sickly feeling beginning to well in my stomach. Transaction completed, I left the shop relieved that a possible outcome of this lady's lack of knowledge of my order had not come to fruition.

All's well that ends well though, my neighbour and I have our LOCOMOTION models and mags, though a 'narrow squeak' methinks.

I wouldn't have liked the series end to have been marred by a mess up when the newsagent has done well by me in supplying the GBL set without too many problems, only failing to obtain the V2 due to a wholesaler's error.

• Like 1

Obviously life's too short to even try to make her work, so she is destined for display following a repaint. Whether I shall attempt to make some correct scale track is another matter. 3' fishbelly rails on stone 'pot' sleepers would look nice though. (Plastic rod on top of carefully filed plastic strip fish bellies seems the way to go - there are only a few inches to do.)

Yet another item for the 'to do' pile........

Ambis Engineering do etchings to create both plateway and fishbelly track  in 4mm.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Managed to get my second Locomotion today from Asda and SWMBO managed to get one yesterday in WHS.  One is for me and the other is a surprise for my father (who is from Darlington).

I went to Bank Top station frequently and always took a few minutes, to admire the two locomotives ( Locomotion and Derwent) on the plinth.  Even as a very young lad the very sense of history, wonder and achievement was never lost on me, of course, the A4's etc, didn't exactly help to diminish that feeling.  In some respects (discounting the preservation/deterioration issues) having historic loco's on the station does fire the imagination somewhat where all can see our past and make a connection with the present, all without having to visit a museum.

As regards the GBL offering, I really like it.   Yes, the scale is somewhat dubious and I think there may be a few errors, but it really does capture the essence of the prototype really well.

Cheers,

Aidan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I got one from Romford, via a friend.  It's even smaller than I thought, the wagon doesn't look out of place on a N gauge railway.

As I also have the Bachmann model a comparison had to happen.

post-6821-0-34781900-1442009026_thumb.jpg

And then this happened.

post-6821-0-57754600-1442009031_thumb.jpg

Small.......far away.

Edited by Nile
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I got one from Romford, via a friend.  It's even smaller than I thought, the wagon doesn't look out of place on a N gauge railway.

As I also have the Bachmann model a comparison had to happen.

attachicon.gifLL_2.JPG

And then this happened.

attachicon.gifLL_1.JPG

Small.......far away.

On the normal GBL base it looks as if its running on a pair of girders.

Obviously life's too short to even try to make her work, so she is destined for display following a repaint. Whether I shall attempt to make some correct scale track is another matter. 3' fishbelly rails on stone 'pot' sleepers would look nice though. (Plastic rod on top of carefully filed plastic strip fish bellies seems the way to go - there are only a few inches to do.)

Yet another item for the 'to do' pile........

Ambis Engineering do etchings to create both plateway and fishbelly track  in 4mm.

Thanks, but unfortunately the model is 3mm scale or thereabouts. However I will investigate.