RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Meanwhile, in another attempt to stop the Western shell from bowing out at the bottom, even more filing down of the top half of the Heljan mazak casting has had to be done.

Remove the bogies and drivetrain, obviously. Bring out the coarsest grade hand file you've got, and just keep going. It's the entire length of the top that needs reducing. I wouldn't risk using a power tool for this job because of the risk of it running out of control.

post-6879-0-59766600-1444485905_thumb.jpg

This picture is on my thread for the Dunalastair build but thought I would show it here as well, this is the Caledonian Dunalastair 1 that I'm building from a GBL T9

Still lots to do but its coming on nicely, I've given it a blow over with some gray primer to highlight any work needed or areas needing filling but it give you the general idea of how its coming.

post-17847-0-40545500-1444672239_thumb.jpg

Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 9

I think that one positive thing that has come from this magazine, has been that it has shown that there are still modellers willing to upgrade models or convert models into something else. Something many thought might be a thing of the past, with all the excellent(but too fragile) models coming out of China. Still a pity the magazine used old models, not creating something new as Atlas Editions have done for French models.

I am still waiting for my missing magazine no 40, and the publishers say it should arrive soon. Reason for delay is that now the magazine has stopped there is only one monthly(???) collection from their office. Poor excuse, especially considering it was their delays that resulted in issue No 40 not getting into many shops.

• Like 1

I did do the numbers on the Manson and if I recall the driving wheel base would be shorter than the T9 but seeing as I chop B12 chassis the position of the second axle needs drilling any way so where is not really that relevant. If you were using a T9 I guess you would have to think how much lee way you could live with. Up to now I've never done a check on the D40 to see how it measures up but again its all relative.

Being a major RTR loco basher I can live with some compromises like the two Dunalastair's I'm building the Dunalastair III uses the same wheel base as the T9 which is about right but the Dunalastair I driving wheel base should be about 6 inches shorter which is 2mm in 00 but I elected to take the 2mm out of the gap between the front bogie and the first driving wheel instead this allows one not to have to cut and shut the loco body around the splasher area and also either keep a T9 chassis reasonable intact or if converting from say a B12 as I have using a Set of T9 rods to help re-position the rear axle.

On the Dunalastair I elected to cut the boiler and running plate around where the boiler and smoke box join. With the boiler its a natural brake and the join in the running plate can be part hidden under the smoke box saddle which also helps to add strength to the new join when gluing together

Speaking of Dunalistairs, you could also have a go at the very similar design built for Belgian Railways

• Like 1

Hi again, back in UK, weather colder and grey, clocks going to change soon, and, somehow, something missing, that can no longer be looked forward to.... something to do with Wednesdays...

Never mind, I'll have to look in that big box in the loft full of GBL stuff, plus all those started projects...

This may already have been posted, but I was looking on Amazon for something completely different when I came across this, looks somewhat familiar....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/8373850317?psc=1

:-)

I think that one positive thing that has come from this magazine, has been that it has shown that there are still modellers willing to upgrade models or convert models into something else. Something many thought might be a thing of the past, with all the excellent(but too fragile) models coming out of China. 

And also (for the purposes of converting when you think you might make a mess of it), rather expensive. Fortunately my repaint of a Heljan Class 14 came out all right, but my heart was in my mouth when I started it, 

On subject of things to do with GBL models , I have found a spare 45xx. Still in box and sealed but no magazine, think this magazine may have been passed onto to another model maker for the reference photos.

I know some of the magazines were very difficult to get hold of . Does anybody out there want to buy my spare 45xx? Please pm me.

Many thanks as always.

Uries15.

Edited by Uries15

Just keeping the thread going. Some of the GBL models currently being reworked. All require finishing.

T9, awaiting smokebox number plate

21651184063_f4314dccea_c.jpgS2660001 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

A4, new chassis. This will become 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley in 1980's condition

22084161350_cb10dfc56b_c.jpgS2660002 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Class 55 Deltic, this will become 55015 or 009 in 1981 condition. 

22084153890_0d30727f69_c.jpgS2660003 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Class 47, 47617 in ex-works large logo livery, Scottish style

21649460724_e929d60b79_c.jpgS2660004 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

• Like 10

Here's a GBL J39 thats just about functional.....

Standard Hornby 0-6-0 chassis shoehorned inside, approximately in line with the wheel arches, scratch built inside chassis for tender, with Hornby R8234 wheels modified by removing the pinpoint axle bearings at the end....  Trundles about the layout in an acceptable manner.

post-21933-0-93528500-1445426569.jpg

Photographed on my part-completed roundy layout.  Fits in nicely!

(All it needs now is a bucket of grime and perhaps some real handrails)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 11

Hi all,

I know this is off topic, But I refer to my earlier post about keeping this thread going.

I am in need of some help. I have today recieved a box of model railway bits and pieces. Inside it was a tender and body of a rebuilt LMS Patriot. It is numbered 45526 Morcombe and Heysham.The tender and the body are in excellent condition,But I cannot find a Manufacturer. I believe it is Mainline from the tender.But there is no name on the body shell.I would like to get a chassis for this, But need to know whose to get. I cannot find any info about Mainline making this particular engine.

All help would be appreciated.

Edited by cypherman

I wish I'd bought a T9, if anyone has one or two going I'd be willing to buy. I've got nothing to swap though, I've hacked into all my GBL stuff already and have none complete.

Andy forum name uax6 did have some spare and might sell one so worth sending him a pm to see

Just thinking of shortening a T9 to make a 2-4-0 for the Ankh Morpork and Sto Plains Hygienic Railway.

Or a bit of hacking to make a 4-4-0 as illustrated on the map.

(Going by the endpapers, you could just re-livery a 9F and call it Iron Girder...)

• Like 2

I'm not 100% sure that's a 4-4-0 on the stamp. And I think a 2-4-0 would look better (shorter, older). A C Class could easily be modified by cutting back the cab and shortening the tender (they all seem to be 4-wheelers). One edition of the book has a rather strangulated Rocket on the cover.

The getout is that Iron Girder was continually being modified, often overnight, by the goblins.

In Mrs Bradshaw there is also a single, a 2-4-0T and a few LSWR/Scottish looking 4-4-0s. Pretty much free choice.

I'm just re-reading Raising Steam for any clues as to livery.

• Like 1

Wincanton?

That's not in Mrs Bradshaw's Guide.

Probably one of those little places on the Sto Plains - a crossroads and a livery stable. (And now a halt too...)

As for the locos - I've not seen the stamps, I was going off my hardback copy of "Raising Steam" with the zig-zagging train on the cover, the centre driver of a 9F on the endpapers and a rather oddly-proportioned 4-4-0 in the bottom right corner of the map!

I still think Hornby should have done a Christmas marketing deal - old 101 would have done just fine as an incarnation of Iron Girder and a 4 wheeler coach and a coal wagon (Troll optional) would have completed the ensemble.  Much better than the Santa Express... :jester:

• Like 2

Hi all,

I know this is off topic, But I refer to my earlier post about keeping this thread going.

I am in need of some help. I have today recieved a box of model railway bits and pieces. Inside it was a tender and body of a rebuilt LMS Patriot. It is numbered 45526 Morcombe and Heysham.The tender and the body are in excellent condition,But I cannot find a Manufacturer. I believe it is Mainline from the tender.But there is no name on the body shell.I would like to get a chassis for this, But need to know whose to get. I cannot find any info about Mainline making this particular engine.

All help would be appreciated.

hi cypherman can't see if you've had a specific reply to this or been pm ed ...anyway your loco I would recommend a Bachmann China made Royal scot chassis. I have just placed two under gbl models. The chassis are split axle something I have tried to avoid having a number of failures with mainline locos. This is probably the reason by the way any number of mainline LMS 460 bodies appear on the market. The Bachmann version whilst not as good as the Hornby or later Bachmann versions with normal pickups, is more readily available and cheaper. The other factor that has made me risk split axle ...these newer chassis run very well...I have one under a Lord Nelson ..the other a scot..hence the two mentioned. I am more aware of the need to keep oil away from the plastic inserts which I believe effects them and lastly the availability of replacement axle inserts from peters spares. I hope this is of assistance..please pm me if you wish to communicate further about this...in conclusion very happy with both the scot and nelsons running capabilities

Hi 46256,

Thanks for the reply. You have solved a puzzle for me as there was a Mainline Scot chassis in the box of bit's I got. It runs really well,But when i  tried  the body on chassis the rear wheels bind against the body. Plus it blocks where the tender attaches to the body.So I assumed that it was not from this model.Would you be able to show me how you got yours to fit and still attach the tender.

Many thanks,

Edited by cypherman

I've now got around to looking at Butler Henderson (I think this was #17, released around this time last year?) 

My intention is to rename and renumber it as GCR 507, Gerard Powys Dewhurst, and convert it to a runner.  Bachmann won't sell Director chassis as spares, and they're very few and far between on that auction site.  So it will have to be a Hornby or Triang 2P chassis.  Not only will it fit, the body will sit upon it at scale height!  It took a few hours this afternoon sawing out the blanking plate in the body, and then judiciously filing down the body and the chassis block, but it will fit.  It looks pretty good too...

• Like 2