Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Yes its a loco drive chassis. I must confess for some reason I have always struggled to get a modern Hornby chassis back together after dropping out the bottom and releasing the wheels. No doubt there is a simple trick and I'm just being a hamfisted dork....

John

John

One more quick question on your A2 conversion, have you a shot of just the chassis to show how the cylinders are mounted ( im doing a touch of copycat modelling) i managed to get hold of a loco drive Hornby brit chassis without motor (just chassis and wheels) i was going to go down a kit chassis road but for the moment this is the cheaper option and just as interesting as kit building. The finished loco will be one of the A2's which kept the electric lights to the end so probably 60527 as i have seen shots of the loco in 1965 still with them in place.

Gary

• Like 2

Fully up to LMR standards of solid filth.......steady on sir........cut us do we not rust....sorry bleed.

I was going to mention the terrible state some western locos were allowed to fall into at the end of steam....then realised by then they were under Midland control....to see a noble 460 shorn of it nameplates ...bonnet.....a shameful way to treat a faithful servant.

In respect of this series I was both surprised and extremely grateful it lasted as long as it did, and was capable of delivering pleasant surprises such as the A2.

I have been working on other projects and had forgotten the Caley single...I bought a chassis for it some months ago...just needed new pick ups. I will not even attempt to detail or " improve" it just have it when working as a reminder of a bygone era of models such as this....and the pleasure they gave us if fortunate to receive one Xmas mornng

• Like 3

This was the list.

In the words of Jim Bowen "let's see what you could have won"

GBL Model---------------------Origin model to be copied----------------------GBL livery:

BR class 08 0-6-0 shunter--------------Bachmann (although Lima considered as well)---------------Rail Blue

ex L.B & S.C.R. A1x (Terrier)---------Hornby (ex Dapol)---------------------'Brighton Works' LBSCR (Stroudley 'Improved Engine Green')

GWR 'Hall' 4-6-0-------------------Hornby (Kneller Hall)------------------------GWR (period not stated but believed to be Hawkesworth)

rebuilt 'West Country'---------------------Hornby-------------------------------BR

ex GCR 'ROD' 2-8-0------------------------Bachmann---------------- BR black / Eastern Region loco

Stanier 'Duchess' 4-6-2---------------------early Hornby----------------------------BR maroon

BR class 03 shunter--------------------Mainline--------------------------BR black

The WW2 Q1 Freight Loco----------------------Hornby---------------------------BR black

'Lord of the Isles'----------------------------Triang--------------------------exact copy of old Triang model

The Branch Line Local---------------------------Airfix------------------------14xx AND AUTOCOACH !! in BR livery

61xx 2-6-2T-------------------------Airfix-------------------------believed to be intended as 6106 as preserved

BR 'Std' 5MT 4-6-0------------------------Bachmann----------------------------BR lined black

BR class EM2 Co-Co------------------------Triang-----------------------'electric blue' as 'Electra'

BR class 31 A1A-A1A-----------------------Airfix--------------------------probably BR green but 'golden ochre' considered

BR class 37---------------------------Lima-------------------------BR Green - 'nose' version not decided

'The Dock Shunter-----------------------Hornby---------------------------ex L & Y 'pug' 0-4-0 plus a wagon (BR livery)

LMS Fowler 4F 0-6-0------------------------Airfix-------------------------------LMS black livery

BR class 56 type 5 Co-Co----------------------------Mainline--------------------------'Railfreight Red Stripe'

Derby 'Lightweight' DMU----------------------------Bachmann--------------------------believed to be a Motor Brake vehicle - NO trailer (BR green)

'The Race to the North'--------------------------Kitmaster----------------------------GNR 'Stirling Single' No.1 - as preserved

BR class 25 Bo-Bo----------------------------Hornby---------------------------two-tone green

Riddles J94 0-6-0--------------------------Dapol-------------------------Longmoor Military Railway blue as 'Errol Lonsdale'

BR class 40 1Co-Co1------------------------------Lima---------------------------this would possibly have used the bogies from the 'Peak' - no livery detail available

ex SR L1 4-4-0-------------------------------Triang-------------------------------Southern Railway olive green

BR class 42 'Warship'--------------------------Mainline---------------------------Rail Blue

BR AL1 WCML electric---------------------------Triang--------------------------------'electric blue'

ex NER J72 0-6-0T----------------------------Mainline--------------------------------BR/North Eastern livery as per Newcastle Central station pilot.

'Crab' 4-6-0---------------------------LIMA !!!!-----------------------------------LMS 'red' - what more can one say about this!!.

In the above list you will notice several of the proposals have a name that looks like the marketing title for the magazine - from what has been said it would seem that these are indeed the titles to be carried by that issue and it is just possible that these were some of the closest to going into production in taking the magazine to an originally advised 52 issues

• Like 2

Here, as requested by Gary (Kingfisher24) are photos of the GBL A2 on a Hornby Brit chassis. The cylinders and valve gear are Hornby A1. They are both a nearly straight replacement with some irritating bits to fiddle with. Mainly it's just a case of removing plastic, but if I remember, I tried to keep theA1 valve gear in 1 piece, ie with the metal join between the 2 sides retained. This means somehow removing the weight on the chassis, and I couldn't see an easy way to do it. In the end I just separated the valve gear.

The rear bogie wheels need re-siting. If you need a working flanged Cartazzi bogie, This may be a pain. I'm happy with flangeless so just cut the axle and re-sited the bogie. It looks crude, and it is, but I hope the finished photos show it's not so bad on the finished loco. The Cartazzi sides were taken from the GBL chassis and stuck in place.

My last A2 will become an A2/3 , again on a Brit chassis. Ugh

post-1659-0-17384500-1449315432_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-78536800-1449315446_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-30558400-1449315456_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-76522600-1449315468_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

This was the list.  In the words of Jim Bowen "let's see what you could have won"...

Which list more than shows what a choice of further subjects there were available, when that was first written. There's been a pile of rather good models odf subjects never previoulsy seen since, and that pile is growing all the time.

Products like GBL tend to come around in cycles, as other interest sectors temporarily exhaust the 'likely suspects' for featuring in such publications. Whoever it was in the UK that was delivering the print content were decently informed. I could see them proposing another bite at the cherry in some years time; inevitably some repeats of big express types and the 9F, but seasoned with some of the more recent introductions. Wait and see time..

• Like 1

Here, as requested by Gary (Kingfisher24) are photos of the GBL A2 on a Hornby Brit chassis. The cylinders and valve gear are Hornby A1. They are both a nearly straight replacement with some irritating bits to fiddle with. Mainly it's just a case of removing plastic, but if I remember, I tried to keep theA1 valve gear in 1 piece, ie with the metal join between the 2 sides retained. This means somehow removing the weight on the chassis, and I couldn't see an easy way to do it. In the end I just separated the valve gear.

The rear bogie wheels need re-siting. If you need a working flanged Cartazzi bogie, This may be a pain. I'm happy with flangeless so just cut the axle and re-sited the bogie. It looks crude, and it is, but I hope the finished photos show it's not so bad on the finished loco. The Cartazzi sides were taken from the GBL chassis and stuck in place.

My last A2 will become an A2/3 , again on a Brit chassis. Ugh

Looks the part, Rowanj. The snap head rivet tender looks good.

I think the original Wills  (became SE finecast) kit was made for the Hornby Britannia chassis of the time. I've read somewhere (RTCS book?) that 5 of the A2s had the new type of regulator that had been designed for Britannias fitted to try it out. 

A Hornby brit chassis would be something to look out for for my A2, got a Trix A2 body as well (the GBL one should be better) plus a Hornby Brit chassis block. But GBL has given me quite a few projects for the winter.....

• Like 1

Looks the part, Rowanj. The snap head rivet tender looks good.

I think the original Wills  (became SE finecast) kit was made for the Hornby Britannia chassis of the time. I've read somewhere (RTCS book?) that 5 of the A2s had the new type of regulator that had been designed for Britannias fitted to try it out. 

A Hornby brit chassis would be something to look out for for my A2, got a Trix A2 body as well (the GBL one should be better) plus a Hornby Brit chassis block. But GBL has given me quite a few projects for the winter.....

The 5 A2,s you refer to are the double chimney with multiple valve regulators like Blue Peter. When I started spotting, Pearl Diver was illustrated in my ABC book so I always hoped to see it, but A2,s from Haymarket were relatively rare birds even in Newcastle. I finally saw her in Heston yards from a passing electric train on my way to Central.

• Like 2

This was the list.

In the words of Jim Bowen "let's see what you could have won"

GBL Model---------------------Origin model to be copied----------------------GBL livery:

BR class 08 0-6-0 shunter--------------Bachmann (although Lima considered as well)---------------Rail Blue

ex L.B & S.C.R. A1x (Terrier)---------Hornby (ex Dapol)---------------------'Brighton Works' LBSCR (Stroudley 'Improved Engine Green')

GWR 'Hall' 4-6-0-------------------Hornby (Kneller Hall)------------------------GWR (period not stated but believed to be Hawkesworth)

rebuilt 'West Country'---------------------Hornby-------------------------------BR

ex GCR 'ROD' 2-8-0------------------------Bachmann---------------- BR black / Eastern Region loco

Stanier 'Duchess' 4-6-2---------------------early Hornby----------------------------BR maroon

BR class 03 shunter--------------------Mainline--------------------------BR black

The WW2 Q1 Freight Loco----------------------Hornby---------------------------BR black

'Lord of the Isles'----------------------------Triang--------------------------exact copy of old Triang model

The Branch Line Local---------------------------Airfix------------------------14xx AND AUTOCOACH !! in BR livery

61xx 2-6-2T-------------------------Airfix-------------------------believed to be intended as 6106 as preserved

BR 'Std' 5MT 4-6-0------------------------Bachmann----------------------------BR lined black

BR class EM2 Co-Co------------------------Triang-----------------------'electric blue' as 'Electra'

BR class 31 A1A-A1A-----------------------Airfix--------------------------probably BR green but 'golden ochre' considered

BR class 37---------------------------Lima-------------------------BR Green - 'nose' version not decided

'The Dock Shunter-----------------------Hornby---------------------------ex L & Y 'pug' 0-4-0 plus a wagon (BR livery)

LMS Fowler 4F 0-6-0------------------------Airfix-------------------------------LMS black livery

BR class 56 type 5 Co-Co----------------------------Mainline--------------------------'Railfreight Red Stripe'

Derby 'Lightweight' DMU----------------------------Bachmann--------------------------believed to be a Motor Brake vehicle - NO trailer (BR green)

'The Race to the North'--------------------------Kitmaster----------------------------GNR 'Stirling Single' No.1 - as preserved

BR class 25 Bo-Bo----------------------------Hornby---------------------------two-tone green

Riddles J94 0-6-0--------------------------Dapol-------------------------Longmoor Military Railway blue as 'Errol Lonsdale'

BR class 40 1Co-Co1------------------------------Lima---------------------------this would possibly have used the bogies from the 'Peak' - no livery detail available

ex SR L1 4-4-0-------------------------------Triang-------------------------------Southern Railway olive green

BR class 42 'Warship'--------------------------Mainline---------------------------Rail Blue

BR AL1 WCML electric---------------------------Triang--------------------------------'electric blue'

ex NER J72 0-6-0T----------------------------Mainline--------------------------------BR/North Eastern livery as per Newcastle Central station pilot.

'Crab' 4-6-0---------------------------LIMA !!!!-----------------------------------LMS 'red' - what more can one say about this!!.

In the above list you will notice several of the proposals have a name that looks like the marketing title for the magazine - from what has been said it would seem that these are indeed the titles to be carried by that issue and it is just possible that these were some of the closest to going into production in taking the magazine to an originally advised 52 issues

A very strong list.  I'd have bought a good proportion if they had been made available, and seriously considered others in addition.  Really, there's only a couple I'd not buy at all!

My GBL 'Butler Henderson' was easily motorised and detailed.

DSCF2679_zpsx78dv5ki.jpg

I used a Triang 4-4-0 chassis under the loco and limited my detailing to wire handrails and slimmer cab glazing.  (A few days after the photo above was taken some etched numberplates arrived).  Etched nameplates were from Modelmaster and the numberplates from Narrow Planet. 

• Like 11

Actually, I spotted this on Amazon,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Class-A4-No-4468-Mallard-Locomotive/dp/8373850317/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1449348108&sr=1-1&keywords=Class+%27A4%27+No.4468+Mallard+-+1938

which is Amercom selling locos suspiciously like the GBL ones for £17 plus £4.95 postage,  some of the earlier ones are listed....

'Coronation' in red, rather than the correct blue, seems to clinch the source.

The list is interesting - another Dean Single, another 14xx (or two), an EM2, an ROD and a Stirling Single would have been sold, for a start....

"Phew!", says my wallet!  :)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

The Stirling Single would certainly have been special.

It's taken years to find a suitable wrecked Kitmaster Beyer-Garratt for an experiment, as most of the ones that come up for sale are in their unbuilt, boxed, collectible and therefore way too valuable state, but I found one eventually that could be stripped back to its individual parts.

A Stirling is next on the list.

• Like 2

A ROD or two would have been very welcome for me (come to think of it, so would the EM2...)

Stirling Single would have been well received, though I do have one from Locomotion on order. 

Maybe in a few years' time we'll have another thread for another run of this sort of magazine and be discussing how to motorise/ hackbash/ improve another ruck of cheap static models. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks Cypherman and compliments of the season to all who've shared their experiences on here. There's been some excellent modelling based around the models in this series.

All the best,

John

Edit spelling

Edited by Brit70053
  • Like 1

Thank you to all the friends I have made, advice I have been given and knowledge I have gained from all you very special people contributing to this thread.

It has been a great journey and one that I really will always remember fondly.

Happy New Year to you all.

All good wishes for a safe and healthy one.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If anyone is interested, four Great British Locomotive series Part 40 Class 47's with tatty backing cards but labelled up at half original price have just appeared in the part works section of the WHSmiths in Chichester.  Presumably found in the stockroom during a clear out I guess?

If anyone is interested, four Great British Locomotive series Part 40 Class 47's with tatty backing cards but labelled up at half original price have just appeared in the part works section of the WHSmiths in Chichester.....

It may cost a bit in diesel to drive down to Chichester.....

Would have travelled down if ever they had produced the Stirling single.....now anticipating ...and indeed saving for ...the rapido one....not my favoured modelling railway or era....more in memory of my late fathers building me the kitmaster one back in the early sixties. He was never an enthusiast but his modelling skills put mine to shame. He built me HMS Hood...from the Airfix kit...using the awfull poly cement out of a tube...I've never seen its equal..nostalgia not what it used to be..

• Like 2

Still with a few outstanding jobs the Caledonian492 class 0-8-0 tank is almost done. Although a tenuous link it was built using the smokebox and boiler from a GBL T9 the rest being scratch built

Being built and you can see the T9 smokebox and boiler in this shot

post-17847-0-45296200-1452761548.jpg

how it looks at the moment

post-17847-0-33697000-1452761588.jpg

post-17847-0-75539700-1452761610.jpg

Steve

• Like 8