Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Dear cypherman of course I will try and assist...will get the model out of the loft tomorrow and photo...the body of course is gbl...they probably used the mainline one as the source...( OK airfix might be another ). In my time had both types in my roster...all sold when I went em...another story....in fact the glut of discarded bodies then available were utilised by moi together with comet chassis to build up another fleet of LMS 460 s.....then after one failed Hornby rtr conversion too many..my fault not theirs...a reversion back to OO...all my em locos sold or part exed...some like a kitmaster garratt reconverted back to OO....where was I ...anyway will examine my loco and post photos which I hope may assist...one thing I did do with the gbl body was remove all the internal added fixing pillars...can't remember if I had to remove plastic off the splashers or rear cab area to get it too fit...

post-23587-0-99191400-1445779194.jpegpost-23587-0-13897700-1445779213.jpegpost-23587-0-87409600-1445779258.jpegpost-23587-0-94151700-1445779282.jpegdear cypherman a sequence of photos that I hope will show how I squeezed the Bachmann chassis into the gbl loco body. A word of explanation, I had not intended to motorise this...having a number of Hornby scots and rebuilt patriots....I had merely removed the extra wide cab beading and added transfers. I have not even replaced the handrails which is my usual won't with these gbl models. I hadn't reckoned on being very impressed with 46100 on seeing her for the first time at Kidderminster in September. A quick purchase of the chassis...knocking up a tender sub chassis...to which you can see I have soldered wire to act as a coupling device to the main loco...hope these pictures help...
  • Like 4

Almost completed 84009, which for a reason I have not been able to discover, was the sole loco based in either the ER or NER . being at Hull from June 59 to Dec 62.

Rowan, So pleased to see an actual Royston shed inmate being modelled. Was allocated from new to Royston for working the  push-pull service from Cudworth to Barnsley Courthouse, and then as you rightly point out left for Hull Dairycoates in June '59. Keep up the good work!.  Malcolm

Ok out of theme but really pleased with this photo which I've just shared with my friend RowanJ. The carriage was bought s/h some 20 odd years ago. It is I believe a comet...maybe an even older...b.s.l...Anyway I repainted and hand lined it ...those were the days I had some profficiency with a bowpen..now sadly neglected. It was always a heavy so and so so was relegated to one of my many stock drawers. Last weekend I thought I would give it a run together with my new Bachmann portholes...hauled by my favourite loco...yes 46256...with some eleven on it struggled on my tight curves...and this devil kept derailing. I have an early Dapol 12 wheeler so it donated it's underpinnings...for now. The comet coach had its heavy brass whitemetal chassis removed and replaced...viola their you have it..46256 now pulls it and another 11 coaches without fuss. I am aware of the Dapol cutouts but can live with them to have this sort of running...I also took the opportunity to tidy up the paintwork and window and interior.in respect of the Dapol body have a new underrate on its way...I have the Hornby updated ones both in maroon and Crimson and cream so I'm going to use it with comet sides to make a 12 wheel LMS sleeper to complement my BR sleepers. If there were ever a series of great British coaches these 12 wheel diners and sleepers would surely be up there with the best.post-23587-0-68732700-1445946934.jpeg

• Like 4

Hroth posted a photo of the J39 on a modern Hornby chassis. This is my version on the Bachmann split-chassis which I picked up cheaply on Ebay. When I first ran it, I understood why it was cheap as it ran very poorly. However some judicial oiling and tweaking has produced a smooth and quiet runner, at least as long as the plastic axles don't split.

It is a very tight fit to get past the bulbous lumps inherent to these chassis, but it is do-able with care. The inside of the smokebox door also needs filing flat. I removed the moulded handrails and steampipe to replace them in my usual fashion. I also lightly sanded the very prominent boiler bands which had the added advantage of losing the garish lining.

Compared to Hroth's work, there is no doubt that he has a better mechanism, which I used on my J38 conversion. Bachmann has the advantage of scale wheels ( which can be fitted to the Hornby mechanism, of course) and a correct wheelbase which is a help on a loco with moulded splashers.

post-1659-0-90562300-1446043635.jpg

post-1659-0-61154900-1446043647.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 7

Dear cypherman a pleasure. I like I'm sure many of the followers of this thread have any number of projects courtesy of this source. I am currently stalled in respect of them owing to my rewiring of my layout. I will post developments with them as and when

• Like 2

Hroth posted a photo of the J39 on a modern Hornby chassis. This is my version on the Bachmann split-chassis which I picked up cheaply on Ebay. When I first ran it, I understood why it was cheap as it ran very poorly. However some judicial oiling and tweaking has produced a smooth and quiet runner, at least as long as the plastic axles don't split...

Compared to Hroth's work, there is no doubt that he has a better mechanism, which I used on my J38 conversion. Bachmann has the advantage of scale wheels ( which can be fitted to the Hornby mechanism, of course) and a correct wheelbase which is a help on a loco with moulded splashers.

Should it come about that Bachmann still haven't got a modern mechanism out for the J39 by the time the split chassis parts disintegrate or wear out all their plating - they do you know, in that very special split chassis way - then an alternative candidate modern mechanism is from Bach's J11. The prototype had a wheel base and wheel diameter within an inch of that of the J39, and it fits very neatly into the original Bachmann J39 body shell after a little interior shaving in the firebox interior, so should be OK in a similarly altered GBL body. The gear train above the centre axle is on show rather more in the larger space between boiler and frames of the J39. There's plenty of space inside to add ballast to get the full 5F traction, which is the split chassis mechanism's party trick thanks to the usefully weighty body filing lump it constitutes.

Back in the land of railway modelling again, I thought I'd get some GBL locos out of the box. Following the modelling adage of don't finish one project when you can start some more, I thought I'd have a go at handrail fitting.  As it happens, I've got several where I've got chassis or parts of chassis for, (chassis block for B12) or in the case of the jinty and 4mt tank, comet chassis kits to build.

post-4032-0-41689000-1446143333.jpg

I started on the J39 because I've got a Hornby 0-6-0 chassis to use, but interested in 34theletterbetweenbandd's idea of using the original split frame chassis.  Still got 22xx, 4mt and j72 with that type of chassis which still run, (plating on the axles hasn't worn out yet) but they only see occasional use).  I've got to cut out the J39 footplate yet, I found before using a circular cutter in a dremel drill worked best for me with the GBL plastic.

I put the other locos in the pic to encourage myself to do something with them, I've cut off the moulded handrails with my new x-acto knife which has a wonderfully sharp and stiff blade!

The jinty actually has a fitted handrail on the other side of the boiler. 

• Like 3

I think it's fair to say that most modellers find the Mainline/Bachmann split chassis the worst choice when other alternatives are available. I've had a Mainline 4MT and early Bachmann B1 fail with split axles and found the Ivatt a sticky runner from time to time. The suggestion to use a J11 chassis is a good one if you can lay your hands on one. I've never heard of a modern Bachmann chassis sold as spares other than very occasionally and expensively on Ebay. The older split level types are there all the time, presumably as folks find better options. Hornby chassis are more common, of course. A decent split chassis will run well enough if given TLC.

Modelling should be a broad church and I hate it when people criticise what other folk choose to spend their money on. Personally, I wouldn't buy a complete J11 just to obtain a chassis for a GBL J39. The J39 just isn't good enough, in my opinion. Of course, I suppose you could either use or sell on the body and tender and recoup some of the cost. My models don't get high mileage so a cheap Bachmann chassis which runs well suits my purpose for a layout loco.

If I were to follow the suggestion of using the J11 chassis, I'd invest in a Bachmann body and tender rather than use the GBL version, But that's just my view and others may well disagree. And I really do value it when folk like 34B....D offer constructive suggestions on how to take things forward.

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 3

Having  had to go up in the loft looking for something, I somehow just had to run a couple of trains. Bachmann 4mt 2-6-0 now I've replaced the detail that got knocked off, running very well, plus Bachmann 5mt now I've renumbered it, so they are ready for use on layout again.

After the posts about split chassis,  I thought I should try my  22xx 0-6-0 and then  4mt, both mainline split chassis with the original pancake motors. Yup, still got them. Trouble is that   ages ago I renumbered them and fitted scale couplings, coaled the tenders, relined them, the 4mt has sprung buffers fitted, all that sort of stuff, so I'm loath to replace them with more recent models. sigh. Anyway, straight off the shelf and onto the track they chugged off round the layout, didn't stall.  As was said, the chassis is quite heavy and they pull well. Both a bit noisy, but the gears on the 4mt make a kind of chuffing noise which is quite pleasing.  :-)

However i did finish up by putting a Hornby black 5 (one of the latest type) on one of the trains and of course the performance is in a higher league, just purring round, with particularly good slow running.

But at the end of the day, it was all good fun. Might have to do it again....

• Like 4

Regarding purchase of a complete model to get one or more elements you need from it: such as the mechanism...

...Of course, I suppose you could either use or sell on the body and tender and recoup some of the cost...

So far, I haven't come unstuck on such deals. I buy the model to be 'broken up' for the required part(s) as economically as possible, new or s/h. That the manufacturers are no longer stocking or supplying spares to any great extent works for us in selling on the leftovers. There are people out there wanting good bodies: to use on mechanisms built to EM and P4 standards, or to replace the one they dropped the soldering iron on (!), or to alter/weather/repaint without risk to a complete model. It may be necessary to wait patiently for a buyer, but come they do.

• Like 4

You've all seen the two Caledonian Dunalastairs I'm building from the GBL T9 here's anothe project thats again uses a GBL model as the starting point

post-17847-0-18199600-1446334006_thumb.jpg

Its a Caledonian 0-6-0 Jumbo built using parts from the GBL single though in this one its coupled to a Triang tender. I'm building a second one which will use the GBL tender body with a new chassis to make an early Drummond tender.

You can see how the first one is coming including the GBL parts used on this thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104311-steves-more-caledonian-work-bench-two-jumbo-0-6-0-locos/

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 8

The Caledonian jumbo that used the parts from the GBL single is coming along and I'm now waiting for some hand rail knobs and wire to arrive to finish of the construction phase of the loco, painting next and as its fitted with an air pump its going to be in a nice Caley dark blue with black and white lining (Not looking forward to that much) To aid the final fettling I've given it a coat of gray primer which tidy's it up a bit, its been a fairly straight forward build with the only real down side of using a RTR chassis is not being able to hide the motor completely though I'm not to unhappy with the compromise as your not instantly drawn to it. The other two single body's I have will go to another jumbo which will also use the GBL tender this will be a black non air pump one this time and although its a bit of a waist the other singles smoke box and boiler with the dome and safety valve once shortened will go towards a 782 0-6-0 tank thought no doubt the tender and other bits will get used some time in the future. Here's an updated picture.

post-17847-0-36305000-1446620565.jpg

• Like 4

Here is the GBL J39 on Bachmann chassis, renumbered to a Heaton 52B loco which I must have seen a hundred times and after the first "cop" ceased to make any impression on me. If I knew then what I know now......

The LNER branding was removed with fine wet n dry sandpaper, the loco then sprayed with grey primer then Halfords Satin Black.

post-1659-0-69427500-1446628359.jpg

post-1659-0-91797000-1446628370.jpg

• Like 7

Now found that meths on a cotton bud takes the numbers/lettering off easily.  Cut an aperture for chassis in the footplate using a circular cutter in dremel type drill. Now realised that I need to fit cab handrails, possibly on tender as well.  Then I'll use halfords spray primer/black paint, like Rowanj.

Steve(Londontram),

I love your version of the Jumbo, but sadly have to admit that my modelling skills simply aren't up to that big a job. We had several of them at Hurlford 67B before they were disposed of in the sixties and they did amazing work around the Ayrshire coal fields. The ones we had weren't fitted with the Westinghouse kit from memory. I have somewhere a nice shot of one shunting the coaling stage at Hurlford. I hope you can do a blow by blow account of the unfitted one as well,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Hi Jock,

Testors dullcote imho best matt varnish, from spray can. (It's a laquer). Not so easy to get hold of now but can be got on-line. But just been recommended vallejo premium acrylic polyurethene airbrush varnish. I've very recently got some, £3.99 for 60mm bottle, free postage via Amazon. On my initial test it gives a very matt and smooth finish, just brushing it. Haven't sprayed it yet. They sell it for r/c car bodies so it's supposed to be tough.  

I'll post a couple of pics of locos with the dullcote spray finish tomorrow. But the new stuff looks a good very matt varnish.

Bill

Edited by railroadbill

Hi Jock,

I have had good results with Halfords matt varnish over Halfords spray paint. much easier to get hold of.........lol

I have posted some pictures earlier in this thread of some of the loco's I have repainted with it.

I still cannot paste links here for some reason,So if you look on the 25th and 31st July in this post you can see the results.

The black paint is Halfords satin black and the green on the A4 is Halfords Brooklands green. 

Yours,

Cypherman

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

I use Games Workshop Purity seal. 99% of the time its fine though it can lift lining transfers if they have not "cured". I avoid Humbrol which seems to have a tendency to bloom. Never thought of using Halfords so that was a good tip.

Thank you 'cypherman', very helpful, as is the input from Bill, we've got a Halfords just a couple of miles away so no problem there! I did go back to the 25th and 31st of July for a look, very nice work indeed thank you, so don't be surprised by the 'craftsmanship/clever' rating that appears from me. I too have found this thread inspirational, the only sadness being the loss of one of the 'posters' the 'weatheringman' who used to give superb analysis of each model as it came out, only to be forced to quit over some downright silliness! Sad too that the series has finished as I have eleven locos that I can 'tart up' to populate my projected loco shed layout for such a reasonable outlay.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1