Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I too have found this thread inspirational, the only sadness being the loss of one of the 'posters' the 'weatheringman' who used to give superb analysis of each model as it came out, only to be forced to quit over some downright silliness!

Kind regards,

Jock.

To be fair he was not "forced" to quite he did so of his own free will during some prima donna moment the only downright silliness was this unilateral decision he made himself.

Thanks Steve, I didn't know the facts, but I'm just a bit sad as I found his lengthy posts on the Black5 for example very useful. It seems a shame that we've lost such input through pettiness, but that seems to be a common feature of 'social network' sites which is probably why this is the only one I use! Thanks again for explaining what happened,

Kind regards,

Jock.

On the subject of paint especially black, I use initially a black car paint gloss. I remember an article back in the day which showed the surface of gloss under a microscope. The gloss paint allows transfers to adhere better especially lining. I then apply said transfers and after 24 hours apply the varnish either satin but most usually Matt. I then weather my locos /stock, this is my personal preference, however the main point since using gloss then matting down...is that a correct term? my lining transfers remain in place something that wasn't guaranteed before.

Hi 46256,

You get the same effect using satin paints. it is then rough surface of matt paint that causes the problem getting transferes to stay inplace.they have a reduced surface area to stick to due to the roughness of the matt paint.

Thanks cypherman...I suppose it's the matting agent itself , a powder I suppose, which creates this unfavourable surface. I got so fed up at one stage with my lining lifting off, that I tried to master the art of lining with a bow pen.

In respect of lining and I think I posed this question some time ago. The reverse curves found usually under the cab window, or over the tank part over the centre driving wheel of said loco. The red and grey reverse....are these included in the excellent modelmaster mixed traffic sheet....cos if they are I've never found them. This might be a case of as my wife describes man syndrome not seeing the thing right in front of you...I reply genius is usually spotting the blindingly obvious

• Like 4

Re matt varnish etc,  here's something of my experience. I stress that this is what has worked for me, there are I'm sure many equally good or better products around, and many posters on RMweb etc especially professionals, get better results. Here we go.

post-4032-0-81230600-1446833524.jpg

The Heljan 33/2 (which had been a grey privatization livery) was resprayed with Halfords Rover Brooklands green over grey primer. The transfers (lining/numbers) are Fox.  It was then sprayed with Testors Dullcote.  I got the loco when they were being sold off for £40 or so.

The SR vans are  tri-ang and Wrenn, both bought very cheaply at an exhibition.  They were cleaned up (with modelstrip, I think, one was maroon and the other brown). I brush painted Railmatch 314 BR southern green, used Kleer where the transfers go, (transfers were model master I think) and again sprayed with Dullcote.  It seems to give a tough enough finish.

post-4032-0-21524600-1446834074.jpg

The 2P is a Nu-cast kit which was originally sprayed with gloss  varnish many years ago when I was trying for an ex-works finish. That finish had lasted very well. As part of it's refurbishment I sprayed it with Dullcote.

The 3F (MPD kit?) was sprayed with matt polyurethane varnish from an airbrush back in 1982 or so....    I put this in because the finish has lasted well. however, I believe that polyurethane varnish is carcinogenic if sprayed due to the polymers. Not so easy to get hold of in small amounts from the likes of B and Q but I've found a tin in the garage that is still ok when brushed.  (Think there are better products for models, though).

post-4032-0-08293100-1446834544_thumb.jpg

This is  the stuff.  That's imho of course!  I've found Dullcote to be very user friendly. I've tried to use it in the garden on a warm still day, but you can get away with damp, colder conditions and it still works well. The nozzle never clogs, unlike some other aerosol varnishes I've tried. It seems more difficult to get now, but still available mail order although price has gone up.

A tip is to always test on whatever paint you're using before doing it for real on a model!

The Vallejo premium matt acrylic polyurethane varnish is something I've only just got. It's intended to be sprayed on r/c car bodies (not why I bought it) and is supposed to be very tough. However, it brushes extremely well and dries very smooth and flat. £3.99 a 60 mm bottle with  free postage via Amazon. More tests will be done with this!

Hope all this helps, I've been looking for decent matt varnish since early modelling days when Humbrol 49 was the only game in town!

Testors dullcote, I have used it for years on Humbrol, any acrylics, Humbrol enamels, Floquil paints. Only once had an adverse reaction on Tamyia acrylic which did not happen a second time! I was introduced to testors by my US penfriend back in the 1970"s who was also a railroad modeller. Hope this is of use.

Hi all,

Still on the subject of painting finishes and lining .I would like to recommend this company who are making an ever increasing range of upgrades for older engines. They are great for me as my hands are not as steady for lining any longer.

They are: LHPmedia

and can be found on ebay,Their products are excellent and very easy to use.

Here are some pictures of some of my loco's which I have painted as discussed with Halfords paint and matt varnish,Plus used the LHPmedia decals.On the  The Mallard I just used the nameplate and loco lining to update the body a bit.I hated the horrible origional single line that Hornby used for their lining in the 80's,This is much better IMHO.The Wild Swan was a full repaint using Halfords Brooklands Green. All the black paint is Halfords Satin Black. The the engines recieved 4 coats of Halfords matt varnish.

The Duchess is painted in Renault Etruscan Red. Not quite sure of the colour,But I wanted a just out of the paintshop look for it. I also tried to get it to look as near as possible the the origional H-D paint scheme.

post-21711-0-85862400-1446987475_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-63258500-1446987581_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-65024800-1446987601_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-00234500-1446987618_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-25038800-1446987699_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-09364800-1446987715_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-93747700-1446987732_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-55255900-1446987750_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-60673200-1446987768_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-74448900-1446987791_thumb.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 3

In the latest BRM, Tony Wright does a lovely conversion of the Hornby D49, which has the body of a Shire on the chassis of a Hunt. Tony replaced the LNER GS tender as supplied with a Great Central from Bachmann,s D11. I have had a D49 in the pat but was always put off by the tender-drive and incorrect tender/body combo. The Railroad model solves the running issues but retains the other problems of identity which Tony resolved in his usual excellent manner.

I didn't fancy indulging in the cost of a whole D11 but wondered if the GBL tender from Butler-Henderson might be made to fit the Hornby tender chassis. The pictures show that it can, albeit with a compromise to the wheelebase and some very extensive work with the Dremel. There is still a bit more metal to be removed, where the silver shows, and I'll take another picture when I complete it. It will still require some black paint to hide spots which I suspect I wont be able to remove. But it should look ok from normal viewing distance.

post-1659-0-32746600-1446991919.jpg

post-1659-0-89516700-1446991969.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 3

Hi all,

Still on the subject of painting finishes and lining .I would like to recommend this company who are making an ever increasing range of upgrades for older engines. They are great for me as my hands are not as steady for lining any longer.

They are: LHPmedia

and can be found on ebay,Their products are excellent and very easy to use.

Here are some pictures of some of my loco's which I have painted as discussed with Halfords paint and matt varnish,Plus used the LHPmedia decals.On the  The Mallard I just used the nameplate and loco lining to update the body a bit.I hated the horrible origional single line that Hornby used for their lining in the 80's,This is much better IMHO.The Wild Swan was a full repaint using Halfords Brooklands Green. All the black paint is Halfords Satin Black. The the engines recieved 4 coats of Halfords matt varnish.

The Duchess is painted in Renault Etruscan Red. Not quite sure of the colour,But I wanted a just out of the paintshop look for it. I also tried to get it to look as near as possible the the origional H-D paint scheme.

Nice to see the old First Series Tri-ang Station Buildings and Platforms. :) (1957 to 1981 Brown!)

• Like 3

Thanks. Not LHPmedia!

LHP Media is Lawrence Hoggs company. Lawrence Hogg Productions Media.

http://www.laurencehoggproductions.co.uk/

The OO/HO Kits section...

http://www.laurencehoggproductions.co.uk/kits.htm

He also trades on Ebay as Train Boat Depot, as he is a Canal Enthusiast, as well as being into Hornby Dublo etc.. model railways.

http://stores.ebay.com/TRAIN-BOAT-DEPOT

As well as the self-adhesive "decal" and "kit" ranges, he also does Videos of Canal and Hornby Dublo, etc.

Edited by Sarahagain

In the latest BRM, Tony Wright does a lovely conversion of the Hornby D49, which has the body of a Shire on the chassis of a Hunt. Tony replaced the LNER GS tender as supplied with a Great Central from Bachmann,s D11. I have had a D49 in the pat but was always put off by the tender-drive and incorrect tender/body combo. The Railroad model solves the running issues but retains the other problems of identity which Tony resolved in his usual excellent manner.

I didn't fancy indulging in the cost of a whole D11 but wondered if the GBL tender from Butler-Henderson might be made to fit the Hornby tender chassis. The pictures show that it can, albeit with a compromise to the wheelebase and some very extensive work with the Dremel. There is still a bit more metal to be removed, where the silver shows, and I'll take another picture when I complete it. It will still require some black paint to hide spots which I suspect I wont be able to remove. But it should look ok from normal viewing distance.

In the article Tony asks about the Hornby model. Did Hornby make a model with the body of a Shire on a Hunt chassis.

The answer is no....but the original Hornby LNER 4-4-0 was a SHIRE, on a Shire Chassis. This was "CHESHIRE" in LNER Green.A ater model was "YORKSHIRE" in BR Lined Black. Both had the Tender and Drive from the B17(?) "Footballer".

When Hornby decided to make a model of the HUNT...they simply modified the SHIRE body by addiing the linkage to the special valve gear of the HUNT!

BUT they didn't change the Loco Chassis!

Edited by Sarahagain

Hi Sarahagain,

Yes the old Triang buildings were knocking about and I wanted samething to put on my test track,So they found a new home. It is a pity that they are not complete.

I see.

The big Ticket Office is missing the small yellow canopy (which fits in the long slot over the Road-side Entrance Doorway) and the long yellow canopy (That fits into the two small slots on the Platform Side.) and a Chimney.

The small Waiting Room (and Gents!) is missing the chimney.

They do turn up on Ebay or at "Swapmeets" or you could make up some from Plastic Card?

This may be of interest?

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/OONew/indexbuildings.htm

Edited by Sarahagain

I see.

The big Ticket Office is missing the small yellow canopy (which fits in the long slot over the Road-side Entrance Doorway) and the long yellow canopy (That fits into the two small slots on the Platform Side.) and a Chimney.

The small Waiting Room (and Gents!) is missing the chimney.

They do turn up on Ebay or at "Swapmeets" or you could make up some from Plastic Card?

This may be of interest?

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/OONew/indexbuildings.htm

Of course the "missing" bits are fine for how a station would look after BR rationalisation (or electrification) if you can hide the slots (maybe by wrapping the model in brick paper).

Incidentally I may have some of the platform sections going spare somewhere (though I'd need to check as they were in a box of bits I was clearing out a few weeks ago and can't remember what I did with them!) .

• Like 4