Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I have numbers 7, 8,  34 and 40 going spare if you would like them.

PMs exchanged, and No.s 7, 8, 34, and 40 are on their way. Thanks Very Much... :)

I would like to obtain the other books that I don't have.

2, 3, 4, 5, 6,   9, 10, 11, 12, 13,   17, 18,  21, 22,   24,  27, 28,   31, 32, 33,   36, 37, 41.

I do now have:-

1, 7, 8, 12, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20, 23, 25, 26, 29, 30, 34, 35, 38, 39, 40.

Updated to take into account the above shipment.

EDIT:

The books have arrived, Thanks very much!  :)

Edited by Sarahagain

Hi all,

Please note that all issues of this magazine are available from Amercom. They are the producers of this magazine along with some other magazines. Some of which can also be used on your model railway dioramas. Their address is www.amercom-hobby.com . So there is no reason why any one cannot get any extras they need. You need to look under the locomotives section and browse through to get the ones you want as they are mixed with the N guage models as well.

Hope this helps.

Edited by cypherman

Hi all,

Please note that all issues of this magazine are available from Amercom. They are the producers of this magazine along with some other magazines. Some of which can also be used on your model railway dioramas. Their address is www.amercom-hobby.com . So there is no reason why any one cannot get any extras they need. You need to look under the locomotives section and browse through to get the ones you want as they are mixed with the N guage models as well.

Hope this helps.

Nice information....

I personally only want/ need the books / magazines. I do not require the models themselves.

The books / magazines are part of our reference library....especially the centre spread painting and other information. Useful for detailing models....

I may at some point be thinning out the model and duplicate book/ magazines. There are a few that we have two models/ magazines, and we may not get around to working on all of them!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If anyone is interested I may have a couple of complete unboxed and untouched Standard 4MT standard tanks going spare for a sensible sum.

Open to offers and will ensure any spiders are evicted from the cabs before dispatch!

SOLD SUBJECT TO PAYMENT

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2

I didn't realise folk were still following this thread and was pleased to see that this isn't the case. ....

There will always be things that people can do with these bodyshells, and that's got to be a good thing.

I was hoping to be able to use the GBL Deeley/SDJR tender shell to pair with an Alan Gibson MR Compound (no.1000), which then means I can use the Deeley tender underframe from the AG kit and see if it can be combined with the Fowler tender body in the AG SDJR 7F kit, to portray 53808 as it is today.

• Like 3

I'll post photos later but I've nearly finished converting a GBL Std 4mt tank into a heritage railway restoration project based on 80097 at Bury as I saw it just over a week ago. This involved combing the GBL loco with a Dapol Std Mogul chassis, I know the wheels are 5inches too small but you have to have them side by side to notice. Over all I'm pleased with how it's worked out, just need a smokebox number plate now.

• Like 1

Here you go, it's not a perfect reproduction and there are inaccuracies but I'm happy with it, I may at some point build the frames up to better represent the real thing but for now I'm happy.

I also don't have the patience to reproduce the smokebox tubeplate

post-18430-0-40991600-1456654841_thumb.jpeg

post-18430-0-71104400-1456654853_thumb.jpeg

post-18430-0-11459800-1456654867_thumb.jpeg

post-18430-0-04974100-1456654878_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Today's work, the lifted boiler, I used the Dapol kit boiler, I also cut the bottom from the running plate section to include the lower boiler and firebox/ashpan sections. I also grafted the GBL backhead onto the firebox. It's not 100% accurate but it's close enough for me.

I also solved the tubeplate problem, board it up.

post-18430-0-15896300-1456682791_thumb.jpeg

post-18430-0-84266300-1456682799_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

GBL Magazines / Books Wanted.

Just the Magazines / books. No models required.

For our Reference Library...

3, 6, 9, 10. 12, 22, 28 and 33 have been offered. With thanks.

I would like to obtain the other books that I don't have.

2, 4, 5,  11,  13,   17, 18,  21, 24,  27, 31, 32,  36, 37, 41.

Another picture of A2/3 . For some reason, the plastic reacted with the Halfords spray - first time I've had problems with it. Normally any issues are around varnish. I rubbed it down but the plastic had been damaged. But t will do until I get another GBL body and the important bit - the converted chassis, works well. I see I also have a dodgy handrail. Bloody digital photos.....

Shame about the paint because your build looks an excellent way of getting an A2/3. 

Did you spray the Halfords primer over the GBL paint or were you able to remove the GBL paint first?  i.e. is it a problem with the paint or the plastic?   I ask having large Halfords primer aerosols in the  garage, (plus Rover Brooklands green paint) to use with my box of GBL goodies....

I've used Halfords plastic primer (grey) over GBL finishes several times with no problems. I did have a problem with Humbrol varnishes on Oxfordrail wagons, but no paint I've used has affected a GBL finish, including Halfords colours.

I've used the standard Halfords grey (or white or red)  primer on many models (plastic and metal) without (so far) it ever having come off. However, the plastic primer could be better perhaps (thinking of plastic boat hulls, a sideline) where a really tough finish is needed?

I'm reasonably sure the problem was with the paint.I had two A2,3 and the first respray was OK. Grey primer followed by Brooklands Green. By the next time I used Red which left a stippled effect, easily lightly rubbed down, but the Brooklands Green literally ran down the body.It was a nightmare to get off and had attacked the plastic boiler but not the resin cab.After tackling it as best I could I resprayed with grey primer which I'd tested on brass etch and was fine. It promptly bubbled up on the boiler.

So the problem... maybe an issue with the reaction between the red primer and Green? Too cold in the garage? Green paint has " gone off"?. Either way, I see from various posts that these things happen and are sent to try us, or at least me.

John

Edited by rowanj

The word "ouch" springs to mind, John. Something to look out for, I guess.

Re Thompson 4-6-2s,  I came across this on the BFI website, which I learned about here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108579-discover-railways-on-film/&do=findComment&comment=2214976

it comprises amateur films by David Gordon, (the Marquis of Aberdeen). Most of lines near Aberdeen in early 60s, plus other Scottish lines, with A4s, A3s A2s and V2s, plus early diesels class 21 and a 4 wheel rail bus.

Near the end (at about 22 or 23 mins) there are also a couple of earlier clips  of the Royal train pulled by 2 B1s with Briitish Railways on their tenders and another of A2/2 Earl Marischal  numbered 60502 in LNER green, and lettered LNER on the tender, starting a train of teak coaches. .

http://player.bfi.or...way-films-1963/

The link also takes you into a lot of other films now available.

Bill

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 2

I'll experiment tomorrow with the A2 tender. Today I took off the moulded handrails and rubbed down the paintwork with a fibre glass pencil. I normally do this to remove the lining and any lettering which may otherwise either show through or cause paint to run. In the case of the A2, the LNER

Green came away like dust !!! Very strange

I'll spray with grey primer and then the Brooklands Green and see what happens.

John