Road Vehicles. Which Gaps Need Filling?

ChrisB

I model the mid 80s to early 90s period and there really isn't much out there with which to populate a layout.

There are certain models in particular that spanned a large time frame and, you might think, would sell well for the manufacturers.

Things like Mk 4 Cortina, Sierra, Astra, Fiesta, Cavalier, Transit, Metro. Just bread and butter stuff that everybody drove and which could be found in any station car park for years.  Neither is there much in the way of trucks for this period.

What do you see as the most obvious/most viable gaps that need filling?

I agree that cars from the 1990s is a big gap in 1:76 scale, although I'd extend it into the first years of this century as well, as my modelling period is circa 2007.  Looking at the Oxford Diecast range, I have the choice of a few "brand new" cars such as the New Mini Mk II (introduced Novmber 2006), the forthcoming Vauxhall Corsa (introduced May 2006), the TX4 Taxi (also introduced around 2006) and the Land Rover Discovery III (introduced in 2004).  However, apart from that its cars from the 1980 like the Ford Capri, which are very rare now (although I did see one last year).  What I really would like to see are the popular cars that fill in that gap, preferably those from the late 1990s (in my case vehicles that were around 3 - 15 years old in 2007), so that I can create a realistic age profile.

Cars high on my list of desirable vehicles would include:

• Ford Focus Mk I (1998 - 2005)
  • Peugeot 206 (1998 - 2010)
  • Vauxhall Astra Mk IV (1998 - 2004)
  • Renault Clio Mk II (1998 - 2012)
  • Nissan Micra Mk II (1993 - 2002)

Lorries aren't quite such as issue for those of us modelling the 21st Century, although I would agree that some smaller delivery type trucks would be good.  Thankfully it looks like Oxford are moving in that direction and in any case, all trucks are vastly out numbered by cars unless you're looking at modelling a freight yard.

Regards

David

Guest jim s-w

I model the mid 80s to early 90s period and there really isn't much out there with which to populate a layout.

Hi chris

This thread may help

www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6104-jim-s-ws-road-vehicles-thread/

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim

I thought I'd read most of what you've posted on here and on your New St site but but I'd missed...or forgotten about the Ford Cargoes. I think one of those, suitably modified, might do nicely!

There's a lack of models for pre 1950 in N

There's the Jowet Javelin and the Jaguar SS100

There is also the traditional Taxi and a couple of freight vehicles (mainly thanks to base toys who helpfully put dates on the box).

I know pre 1950 private motoring was the preserve of the rich / business owners, but a Ford popular or other mass produced wouldn't go amiss. When you're building northern towns, giving more than the occasional Javelin or SS100 isn't right due to the expense these cars cost!

Guest jim s-w

Thanks Jim

I thought I'd read most of what you've posted on here and on your New St site but but I'd missed...or forgotten about the Ford Cargoes. I think one of those, suitably modified, might do nicely!

Unfortunately the new street topic is spread over several threads and multiple versions of the forum. It's one of the reasons I am only really posting actual content on my site now

More mid-late 90s/early 2000s 'bread and butter' cars in OO get my vote. Repmobiles like the Ford Mondeo, Vauxhall Vectra and maybe even some Japanese stuff (e.g. Toyota Carina) would fill a gap in modern day traffic as we seem to have a fair selection of recent cars and those from the 80s but nothing in between. On the commercial side, as has been said before some modern 7.5-tonners such as the Iveco Cargo and DAF LF would be welcome and being a fairground transport modeller I personally want more 1980s/90s Fodens and ERFs.

• RMweb Premium

More mid-late 90s/early 2000s 'bread and butter' cars in OO get my vote. Repmobiles like the Ford Mondeo, Vauxhall Vectra and maybe even some Japanese stuff (e.g. Toyota Carina) would fill a gap in modern day traffic as we seem to have a fair selection of recent cars and those from the 80s but nothing in between. On the commercial side, as has been said before some modern 7.5-tonners such as the Iveco Cargo and DAF LF would be welcome and being a fairground transport modeller I personally want more 1980s/90s Fodens and ERFs.

Tomica have just bought out a Toyota Avensis estate in 1/75 scale. I have obtained a couple, they will need some work to make them presentable such as replacing the wheels and some of the 'smoked' glazing. The windows on the load compartment are 'solid', cast in with the body but its not too noticable.

It is always worth looking at the vast Hongwell/Cararama and Yatming Road Signatures (nominally 1/72) ranges for 1990s to 2000s cars.

Worth reviewing this page for the Hongwell cars some of which are now imported by Oxford Diecast. I particularly like the Ford Ka/Puma duo from the late 1990s/early 2000s, plus the Fiesta..

http://www.matchbox.box.nl/jnhcsnum.php?Sort=a

The Yatming range is still imported by ToyWay/Pocketbond and included an Opel/Vauxhall Vectra and the VX220, plus Toyotas, Nissans, Mercedes, Opel, BMW, Saab, Lexus etc. I can't find a full listing for these but the current models are here:-

http://www.pocketbond.co.uk/BrandCategoryScaleProductMenu.aspx?BrandID=46&CatID=46&ScaID=1

What I would like to see is car-derived vans for the 1980s onwards.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

slighly off topic but  is there a 1:76 scale ruler that i can get on the internet to make as then i can measure the collection of lideo and models of yesteryear that i have . Some of my collection look scale perfect but others are slightly another scale .

slighly off topic but  is there a 1:76 scale ruler that i can get on the internet to make as then i can measure the collection of lideo and models of yesteryear that i have . Some of my collection look scale perfect but others are slightly another scale .

Try http://www.squirestools.com/13-04.pdf.  See page 3.  Product code 040-104 S/Steel Scale Rule 4mm/Foot - OO Gauge.......... £3.99

Regards

David

• 3 weeks later...

I may be wrong but I get the impression that the model motorist has a very comfortable standard of living as they all seem to drive around in top of the range models.

Some everday, base / mid range models of all makes  would be nice instead of things with big spoilers, or other expensive extras attached.

It's getting better but I don't think what is available RTP is representative of the average street.

Looking out the window I can see a Honda Jazz, Accord, Ford Focus (not an ST) , Mazda 3, Nissan Note, Nissan Micra (old style)  Citroen C4 Picasso, Ford Mondeo, Ford Ka (old style),  A class Mercedes and  Citroen DS3. (these are not all mine I hasten to add)

Of those only the DS3 stands a chance of being avialable RTP at any point due to its quirkiness (for want of a better word. ) The rest are just too ordinary (Not sure about the Merc though)

Perhaps the market for model cars is just too narrow to contemplate the ordinary (unless of course the ordinary is from 40-50 years ago)

On the era side the 80s to the present  are definintely short of useful vehicles to populate the high street / station car park.

Andy

Archived