Road Vehicles. Which Gaps Need Filling?

ChrisB

• RMweb Premium

An etched kit for a Victorian/Edwardian horse drawn omnibus would be nice.

There are plenty of other horse drawn vehicles that would be excellent in etched kit or RTR form. Some of the older w/m kits aren't that good.

There are plenty of horse drawn vehicles that are crying out to be made, everything from a milk float to Steptoe's  horse and cart.

You are in luck! Tyne & Wear Metropolitan Fire Brigade had one Dennis RS, KTY 101X from 1982-1996. Although it was based at Tynemouth for much of its career, it later became a spare for use anywhere in the brigade. It then went to Co. Cork in Eire.

Can't find any photos of it in use in England but livery would be very similar to this one.  Believe there are transfers available from BW Models.

http://www.fire-engine-photos.com/picture/number28460.asp

Hope this is of use

Phil

Hi Phil,

That is most certainly of use, thanks!

• RMweb Gold

A few other really common types that haven't been "done" to my knowledge:

Sixties (with many lasting into the seventies):

Ford Consul/Zephyr/Zodiac Mk2, Corsair. (also Classic/ original Capri).

Hillman Minx / Singer Gazelle.

Austin A60 / Morris Oxford (Farina)

Bedford VAL14 / Duple coach (or any other VA types for that matter)

Seventies:

Mini Clubman / 1275GT

Vauxhall Chevette / HC Viva / Magnum / Firenza / early Astras and Cavaliers

Hillman Hunter / Singer Vogue / Sunbeam Rapier (Arrow series) from late 60s then Hillman Avenger.

Talbot Sunbeam

Renault 12

Eighties / nineties:

Peugeot 205, 306

SAAB 99

Volvos (various)

John

• RMweb Premium

OOC do the Bedford VAL/Duple. Minix did the Hillman Minx, Vauxhall HA Viva and the Farina Austin A60. The Minix models are highly detailed and only require some decent wheels and interiors on some of them. They also made the Morris 1100, Austin 1800 and the Thames 400E van.

atlas announced in feb 2013 that they are going to release a bedford val . carrs coaches reg GUP 743 C. no release date as yet.

It will probably be the Corgi OOC model which is a Bedford VAL with Plaxton body.  Atlas do not produce their own models but have models produced by the likes of Corgi and Oxford.

Merf.

It will probably be the Corgi OOC model which is a Bedford VAL with Plaxton body.  Atlas do not produce their own models but have models produced by the likes of Corgi and Oxford.

Merf.

The coach in question has already been produced by OOC in the livery of Kenzies Coaches, Shepreth who's colours it currently carries so a pretty fair bet it'll use the OOC model as it's base.

OOC do the Bedford VAL/Duple. Minix did the Hillman Minx, Vauxhall HA Viva and the Farina Austin A60. The Minix models are highly detailed and only require some decent wheels and interiors on some of them. They also made the Morris 1100, Austin 1800 and the Thames 400E van.

The OOC model of the VAL is a Plaxton Panorama body, the Duple Vega Major and Viceroy bodies on the tri-axle Bedford were very different. Fanfare did a kit for the Vega and there was a whitemetal kit for the Viceroy, both are now very rare.

The Leyland G cab as fitted to the Clydesdale, Boxer etc.   Available from RTI (Frank Waller)

Merf.

Thanks Merf.

I would prefer a ready made Leyland Clydesdale rather than having to build one myself from parts, I think EFE or Oxford Diecast would be able to produce a decent one.

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to the question on skip lorries here is a photo of the one i made The Skip Lorry uses an “EFSI” H0 scale truck as the donor vehicle but I think it looks ok as an 00 gauge skip truck.

I worked entirely on photos from the internet and what looked right on compared with the truck cab.

The body is made of plastic card.

post-19340-0-71793800-1370200358.jpgpost-19340-0-94744500-1370200240.jpg

Gary

• RMweb Premium

Someone was asking about the Latil Traulier on the IRS discussion site. These were made by Shevloke & Drewry during the 1930's and all of the 'Big Four' and subsequently British Railways used them as well as private companies. This would make an excellent model so perhaps Oxford might consider producing a model. There was even a 'Road-Rail' version that was tried out by the LMS.

EDIT I found this >>

http://www.avant-train-latil.com/restauration_Traulier.php

For the modern scene I think a Hyundai Getz would be a good choice. They seem to be everywhere and are popular with driving schools too.

On a purely personal note, any of the cars below that have been owned by my family would be welcome here:

Austin Metro

Triumph Dolomite

Mitsubishi Space Wagon

Peugeot 305

Vauxhall Nova

Vauxhall Corsa C

Vauxhall Zafira

We've also owned the aforementioned Getz and a Mark 1 Fiesta (the car I passed my test in) but I know the latter is on its way from Oxford.

• RMweb Premium

I think the 1930s to 50s are well covered by the products of Classix Pocketbond, Oxford Diecast and Base Toys. But there are 2 obvious gaps.

First, the 1920s and 1930s Austin 7, whose production ceased in 1939, but many lasted into the 1950s. They were everywhere in Britain, and are iconic for their era. If the big 7, introduced in 1937 (different radiator grill and surround) could be made off the same tooling,that would be a bonus.

Second, 1930s railway owned 2 ton vans. These are the 1930s equivalents to a Ford Transit, but seem tiny by comparison. They lasted into the 1950s, so saw various colour schemes including BR crimson and cream. The LNER owned Commer N vans, and one is at the National Railway Museum in York (if you get the opportunity, have a look in the cab - they are incredibly basic!). The LMS had Dennis Ace Type 96 vans, and the GWR Carriers. John Day used to make these as part of his wonderful collection. I would be delighted if Oxford Diecast was to turn their hand to do any one of these vans.

John

I think the 1930s to 50s are well covered by the products of Classix Pocketbond, Oxford Diecast and Base Toys. But there are 2 obvious gaps.

First, the 1920s and 1930s Austin 7, whose production ceased in 1939, but many lasted into the 1950s. They were everywhere in Britain, and are iconic for their era. If the big 7, introduced in 1937 (different radiator grill and surround) could be made off the same tooling,that would be a bonus.

Second, 1930s railway owned 2 ton vans. These are the 1930s equivalents to a Ford Transit, but seem tiny by comparison. They lasted into the 1950s, so saw various colour schemes including BR crimson and cream. The LNER owned Commer N vans, and one is at the National Railway Museum in York (if you get the opportunity, have a look in the cab - they are incredibly basic!). The LMS had Dennis Ace Type 96 vans, and the GWR Carriers. John Day used to make these as part of his wonderful collection. I would be delighted if Oxford Diecast was to turn their hand to do any one of these vans.

John

The John Day range now under new ownership

http://johndaymodels.tumblr.com/

Merf.

• 1 year later...

I am very surprised that member have not  checked the web  for these vehicles. by asking the right question  . will you get the correct answer ,  Try these two sites for more up to date vehicles and 70's 80's and 90's vehicles

transport images      who produce lorry kits  but the beauty  of this site is that you can order the parts you require separately and build you own vehicle version like a mix and match  these have been around about 10 years 

Then there is  accuratescalemodels.com  know as A S Models  which has been producing models for over 40 years  and did have  webs site that was accessible via the u k model shop directory  but the company that owned the server sold it and did not inform any one so now A S Model have their own brand new website . and production will restart in APRIL 2015 WELL WORTH A LOOK AT some very exciting models and being added to all the time  IT IS UP AND RUNNING BUT STILL BEING BUILT  JUST GOOGLE IT  accuratescalemodels.com    There was also a site came up on Google if you entered 1/76 scale vintage vehicles and bear in mind vintage means 25 years or older 

Archived