Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why are railway modellers so clumsy?

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It just occurred to me I haven't seen this topic in the 'view new topic' search for a while. No comments since April. Have we all stopped being clumsy, have we stopped modelling for the summer, or perhaps the better light during the summer means we can see better what we are doing so stop being clumsy???

It just occurred to me I haven't seen this topic in the 'view new topic' search for a while. No comments since April. Have we all stopped being clumsy, have we stopped modelling for the summer, or perhaps the better light during the summer means we can see better what we are doing so stop being clumsy???

Its summer, therefore warmer, therefore we are all sweaty, and thus our tools become slippery which means we can injure ourselves quicker, and more often. Id say we're all just too injured to respond.

You'll be pleased to know that I've rencently started electrical and scenic work on my layout. Why, only last week I sliced open a thumb with a craft scalpel followed by the ceremomial supergluing of multiple digits to some work-in-progress.

On the train right now with some new sharp-and-pointy purchases to keep me in trouble at the weekend

No not stopped being clumsy.

Ok about a year ago Hornby Royal Scot nose dived to the floor , after picking up the bits and refitting only a slight crack in the front buffer beam.

Couple of months ago dragged a Heljan class 26 off a shelf on to the floor.  Quite a bit of damage to lighting bars buffer beam and one drive shaft. Full marks to Howes who got the spares out to me the day after I spoke to them

Last week picked up a Kato AC4400 by the body , chassis and walkway fell out and hit the floor, fortunately no damage. 

Things happen in 3's !!!   Hopefully thats my lot know.

The whole problem of railway modeller clumsiness is caused by the technicians who design new glues spending months of research and test to ensure that the two items you are trying to stick together only stick to your fingers.

The whole problem of railway modeller clumsiness is caused by the technicians who design new glues spending months of research and test to ensure that the two items you are trying to stick together only stick to your fingers.

Oh, you wanted glue to stick things together? Why would you ever assume that?

I've had a £1100 brass loco on a baseboard for a week or so whilst I continue to build the layout around it ...... always thinking that I should put it back in it's box before the factory paint job gets scratched/marked.

Today  I went into the shed before I went to work and thought  'I've got 5 mins to spare so I'll put that £1100 model back in its box to protect it.'

Picked up £1100 model to put it in its box to protect it and dropped it on the floor ...............................

I've had a £1100 brass loco on a baseboard for a week or so whilst I continue to build the layout around it ...... always thinking that I should put it back in it's box before the factory paint job gets scratched/marked.

Today  I went into the shed before I went to work and thought  'I've got 5 mins to spare so I'll put that £1100 model back in its box to protect it.'

Picked up £1100 model to put it in its box to protect it and dropped it on the floor ...............................

So after the expletives (I certainly would have) was there any damage to it?

Are the frozen peas OK?

I trust you are aware that applications must be on bloodstained paper and/or be accompanied by an explicit photograph showing the clums in question.

By the way coincidentally I certainly did not brush the upper reaches of the shiny metal of a soldering iron with one finger earlier this evening, no siree I did not.

When a youngster, I was taught to hand implements to other persons, with the handle towards the person  ....................  anyone remember those old Soldering Irons with a huge Bit and an Element covered in a tube over an inch diameter  ..........   

...............    well, nobody told me Soldering Irons should be an exception to the rule, so when Dad asked me to pass the Iron!!   ................  anyway, rude or not, I've not done it like that since  .......  

Julian

PS. This didn't get me entry to the club, as as far as I can see there is no permanent damage, even 'though the Iron was passed to Dad and he had grasped it before I got to let go.

There was that immaculate (to me) conversion of an Airfix Drewry to a Wisbech & Upwell version using the Impetus kit. Once again, mental notes to return things to their rightful place seem not to reach the parts needed for action. Then a hot soldering iron fell off its stand while being replaced and came to rest across the bonnet (Airfix, remember...). Sad loss recouped only by flogging the bits on Ebay. My heart just wasn't into rebuilding it...

post-6357-0-49510200-1439744759.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Be warned, by starting up new postings on this thread you will have alerted our beloved chairman Mr B Pipes that despite all our best efforts to permanently remove ourselves from this planet we are all still here, this means that subs will be due again and we all know that ends. ( now bolting the door and turning all the lights out).

Be warned, by starting up new postings on this thread you will have alerted our beloved chairman Mr B Pipes that despite all our best efforts to permanently remove ourselves from this planet we are all still here, this means that subs will be due again and we all know that ends. ( now bolting the door and turning all the lights out).

Unbeknownst to Mr. Pipes I smuggled myself aboard the NASA New Horizons probe and am posting this from beyond Pluto.

• RMweb Premium

Can I join the club please (on pensioners rates of course).  Yesterday I was soldering in a control panel and got my fingers too near the iron.  I jerked my hand away and the other hand jerked as well and a blob of liquid solder came off the tip of the iron and landed in my moustache.   A delicate aroma of burning hair filled by nostrils.

Jamie

There was that immaculate (to me) conversion of an Airfix Drewry to a Wisbech & Upwell version using the Impetus kit. Once again, mental notes to return things to their rightful place seem not to reach the parts needed for action. Then a hot soldering iron fell off its stand while being replaced and came to rest across the bonnet (Airfix, remember...). Sad loss recouped only by flogging the bits on Ebay. My heart just wasn't into rebuilding it...

In a similar vein (!!) I can well remember using an anglepoise lamp with a spot bulb in it to help dry off the paint on a Lima 08 body.  It certainly worked - along with melting a hole in the body!

Perhaps I had it just a bit to near........................................

Archived