Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why are railway modellers so clumsy?

Be warned, by starting up new postings on this thread you will have alerted our beloved chairman Mr B Pipes that despite all our best efforts to permanently remove ourselves from this planet we are all still here, this means that subs will be due again and we all know that ends. ( now bolting the door and turning all the lights out).

WHAT!

I've been hiding in Mrs SM42's secret war room* for ages now

I pop out for a bit of sun and find that we're all suddenly on Mr Chairman's RADAR again. Brilliant! Just brilliant!

Oh well, I suppose its back to the canned food and filtered air again until the heat dies down.

Andy

*(I can't say where it is exactly, (secret don'tcha know,) but next door there is a train full of gold with a couple of the strategic reserve on the front just waiting for the Right Away) If anybody asks, I didn't tell you.

You could turn that sorry state into a success   ...................   

WHAT!

I've been hiding in Mrs SM42's secret war room* for ages now

I pop out for a bit of sun and find that we're all suddenly on Mr Chairman's RADAR again. Brilliant! Just brilliant!

Oh well, I suppose its back to the canned food and filtered air again until the heat dies down.

Andy

*(I can't say where it is exactly, (secret don'tcha know,) but next door there is a train full of gold with a couple of the strategic reserve on the front just waiting for the Right Away) If anybody asks, I didn't tell you.

.....................     you can do it, if you concentrate   ................................

...............................    just slip the shoes and socks of as you creep around the house in silence      ..........................

............................................    just think of all those spare parts you could recover   .........    :jester:  :jester:  :jester:    ......    and the gratuitous pain when you do  ...    :O  :O

• RMweb Gold

Ah, there's a song about that:

"Living in a Box*"

Al.

*tunnel

• 3 weeks later...

A mild case, but you have to start somewhere.

I'd just finished scratchbuilding a 4mm greenhouse. A thing of beauty, I thought, especially with the careful creation of some potted plants.

Anyway, no injuries yet as I'd learned from other hobbies that the knife I used was a mean f****r. I'd set the completed greenhouse down on the board and went off to get a snack and ponder on where to put it on the layout.

On returning some time later I spotted a Class 08 on a far bit of track. I'm autistic so I can get tunnel vision quite often. I reached across to retrieve the stray loco and had to support myself so put my hand on the board.

You can see where this is going, can't you?

I was aware of a splintering crack and a prickly stinging in my left palm. I picked the loco and myself up and inspected the damage: completely destroyed. Somehow the plants remained largely intact.

Yes, I should have put the greenhouse somewhere *safe*, and I should have brought that 08 round on the rails rather than reach across but had I done that I wouldn't have a story, would I?

Is there a reduced sub rate for measly apprentices?

All is not lost with a broken greenhouse. (not sure about the hand injuries though)

All you need is a fallen tree lying across it and you might be able to start a new modelling cliche.

I wonder, Mr Squid, if that sub is how Mr Chairman may track you down for your membership fee.

Andy

No reduced subs, but here's a midget sub for you:

1200px-X-1_Submarine%2C_sea_trial_%28und

I'll take it!

All is not lost with a broken greenhouse. (not sure about the hand injuries though)

All you need is a fallen tree lying across it and you might be able to start a new modelling cliche.

I wonder, Mr Squid, if that sub is how Mr Chairman may track you down for your membership fee.

Andy

Sadly I do not own Hogwarts Castle (yet) so I can't get away with an equally fictional whomping willow. I could have a clumsy tree surgeon though - they're all over YouTube and You've Been Framed!

Ah but Mr Chairman won't find me if I get clumsily and hopelessly lost, right? Right?

He has a   ............

I'll take it!

Sadly I do not own Hogwarts Castle (yet) so I can't get away with an equally fictional whomping willow. I could have a clumsy tree surgeon though - they're all over YouTube and You've Been Framed!

Ah but Mr Chairman won't find me if I get clumsily and hopelessly lost, right? Right?

..................    nose for leaking blood, which surpasses that of a ravenous white shark   .....    ........................   particularly where silver has not yet crossed the palm   .....

.......................   in short, Mr Chairman is already approaching your inadequate excuse for a refuge    ......   as for hiding in a sardine can  ??  ...    :jester:  :no:  :no:  :nono:  :nono:  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

No reduced subs, but here's a midget sub for you:

1200px-X-1_Submarine%2C_sea_trial_%28und

I think that's appropriate Didn't GWR have something to do with building them?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ooops!

attachicon.gifoops.jpg

Says it all really

Andy

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses the cutting mat as a general work surface and ends up, either as in this case with the lines and numbers obscured, or as in my case, covered with blobs of glue so when you try to cut something it won't lie flat.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses the cutting mat as a general work surface and ends up, either as in this case with the lines and numbers obscured, or as in my case, covered with blobs of glue so when you try to cut something it won't lie flat.

Well what else is it used for?

I see a dirty cutting mat as a sign of plenty of modelling. Doesnt hurt to accidentally drop a hot iron onto it. I have a nice screwhead melted into it with a line of burn pointing towards it.

My main one always seems to start sliding to the back of the desk and before I know it Im gouging into the tabletop!

Surely the secret is .....  to remember  .....  to use one of these  ............

17328162440_f1167f61e1_c.jpgWorkstation + fitted mat by Julian Redfern, on Flickr

................................    Oh! Wait, Iv'e just seen the major flaw in that comment      .....     you got it   .......    the word "remember"   .....    bother  ...   :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

• 5 months later...

No clumsing for the last 6 months? I was going to mention I picked up a soldering iron stand by the hot bit recently, but no damage to report either to myself or the soldering iron stand, so I won't bother.

• RMweb Premium

Not exactly modelling related as Ive done very little the past week, but i seem to have one or two new small cuts on my hands every day. They sting pretty badly when Im trying to do anything.

Have you been handling paper? I worked in an office environment and 'paper cuts' were common. Thin materials, even 'soft' ones like paper can cut, at times quite badly.

Again, hardly related - but I think my good lady may be at serious risk of obtaining involuntary membership.  :O

She went on some Gov't trip to Brussels to meet with some counterparts over there.  Being economic with the accommodation [clearly not an EU worker then!] and transport she took the EuroStar, arrived at the Hotel quite late in the evening, [Vague connection with trains I know, but I tried.] in need of relaxation and sleep.  Also being a person who likes things organised, she had thought ahead and packed my hip-flask, with a little[??] gin and a small can of tonic, to assist with the relaxing process.  "Very good," I hear many muttering over their coffee/tea.

Here is where membership seems to be heading firmly in the Club direction - she arrives, unpacks that which is required to be unpacked and turned to the hip-flask.  The flask is made of Pewter - and now the fully paid up members will, no doubt, be ahead of my sad tale - she lifted the flask out of the bag and very, very carefully - dropped it!  In itself not a disaster until she realised that during the decent to the floor, it clouted a sharp edge on the dresser, piercing a cm long hole in the base.  Realising that the contents were not going to remain in the flask, she took emergency "measures" [love the pun!] put a finger over the hole and tipped the entire contents straight into a glass. 

[There will be those of a synical nature, who may have observed that the contents might equally have been saved, by simply inverting the flask, with the lid still screwed tight and decanting the contents more slowly as required. - Oh!  Fie on you  - misreable, uncharitable creatures!!  Who, in their right minds can consider that anyone might be able to think of such a solution - when gin is at that very moment issuing from the flask!!    :nono:    ]

I nearly compounded the matter too.  I knew that soldering Pewter, would be very likelly to make an even larger hole, which would be a massive risk, particiularly with membership fees being needed soon.  I also read that epoxy was a perfectly good repair solution for Pewter, so trotted 'orf to get a small pack of resin and hardener.  Having looked carefully, I found one specifically for metal, suitably coloured grey, too.  I did notice some warnings about not getting it in the eyes and keeping it away from kids, with a mention of getting to a Doctor, if consumed etc!  I read more of the very small print and it revealed that it should not be used on fish tanks, or any food/drink container.  :O  Close call, it took quite a bit of reading to find an glue that said it was solvent free and safe.

Safe slicing, all.

Julian

No chance to be clumsy. Forgetful is the new clumsy at SM42 Towers.

Having said that Mrs SM42 is currently on a reverse Midas touch spree, where everything she touches turns into an expensive repair.

AndY

Archived