A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I have been reliably informed that the Hornby Great Western liveried 72xx's are available from stockists other than Hornby,so you'll soon be able to see something different on this thread loco wise.I'm hoping this weekend 

Mine turned up in the post today Rob however when eagerly contemplating its repainting and renumbering to 7212 in late BR livery I happened to notice that the left hand footplating takes a distinct downward turn, and up again between the front of the tank and the cylinder while the right hand side goes into a distinctly upward elevation ahead of the cylinder.  On further checking from the front to look for distortion I noticed that the left hand steampipe makes contact with the smokebox a good 1/8th of an inch higher than the right hand one which probably accounts for the other problems - it will not be meeting a paintbrush but will be returning to the retailer once a replacement arrives (which might not be until next month so I understand as taht is when teh bulk of teh delivery is now expected according to Hornby).

It might be possible to correct it with a fairly complete dismantling but it depends really on how well it has been glued together - hopefully teh one you receive won't have been put together ona  Friday afternoon.

Oh and apart from that fault plus the previously mentioned odd detail shortcomings it does look really good - captures the originals to perfection.

• RMweb Gold

Mine turned up in the post today Rob however when eagerly contemplating its repainting and renumbering to 7212 in late BR livery I happened to notice that the left hand footplating takes a distinct downward turn, and up again between the front of the tank and the cylinder while the right hand side goes into a distinctly upward elevation ahead of the cylinder.  On further checking from the front to look for distortion I noticed that the left hand steampipe makes contact with the smokebox a good 1/8th of an inch higher than the right hand one which probably accounts for the other problems - it will not be meeting a paintbrush but will be returning to the retailer once a replacement arrives (which might not be until next month so I understand as taht is when teh bulk of teh delivery is now expected according to Hornby).

It might be possible to correct it with a fairly complete dismantling but it depends really on how well it has been glued together - hopefully teh one you receive won't have been put together ona  Friday afternoon.

Oh and apart from that fault plus the previously mentioned odd detail shortcomings it does look really good - captures the originals to perfection.

Thanks for the heads up Mike and I'll certainly be inspecting the one I've ordered before purchase.Sorry you received a dodgy one.QC is poor.

Have you got a nice Hall with a mixed bag of western and LMS coaches on a north to west express?

I have the Hall but lack the info on what LMS coaches were used on those expresses Steve.

• RMweb Premium

I think we could be working on the LMS stock :mail:  but I'd forgotten the LNER stuff as it was MK 1s by the time I used the Plymouth Newcastle in 1962. There's a whole new ball game; now where did I put my new reference  book? Suppose SWMBO has  hidden it again. :rtfm:

P

• RMweb Gold

I think we could be working on the LMS stock :mail:  but I'd forgotten the LNER stuff as it was MK 1s by the time I used the Plymouth Newcastle in 1962. There's a whole new ball game; now where did I put my new reference  book? Suppose SWMBO has  hidden it again. :rtfm:

P

Any 'foreign' coaches must be in pre nationalisation livery or they don't run.I have my share of mk1s for the Western named trains in '57 ;)

• Like 1

Where were they taken then.

Quick google search all in Devon, all north to west services.

I've got some pictures of the Newcastle trains in books so I can't post but there all LNER stock, mainly gresely but some Thompson.

The north and west were usually a mixed bag of stock due to the different destinations and starting points. But I've got some pictures of full trains of LM stock.

I suppose with the RTR you've got the Bachmann colletts and the Stanier port holes and the older period 2s I think, then Hornby's hawksworths and stanier period 3. Should be able to make a nice mix there.

Ooh and a Bachmann bulldog for a pilot.

Sorry I'm getting carried away when I was modelling 4mm I did Dawlish so this was all the stuff I had or wanted.

Edited by steve fay

• RMweb Gold

Ooh and a Bachmann bulldog for a pilot.

Do you know something we don't there Steve ? ;) My layout is supposed to be post war so I can't use the Hawksworths but the Bachmann portholes might be a possiblity but I don't think they were they were ever in LMS livery as described here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46371-Bachmann-lms-porthole-coaches/

Edited by gwrrob

It's a Duke dog isn't it? My Bad I don't keep up with the 4mm stuff much any more. No more waiting at midnight on 31st December for Hornby's announcement.

Il shut up now any way and stop spending your cash for you!!!!

Edited by steve fay

• RMweb Premium

In my 1957 reference the only Newcastle train was a SO Newquay (d08.05) service, This was all GWR/WR stock. Maybe in 46/7/8 it was LNER stock?

There was a good Newquay Rotherham made up of all LMS stock (Staniers); was that running in '46/7/8

• RMweb Premium

GWR folk....

Has anyone got a sample of Scalelink's SLF115 "GWR Signal Box Windows set B" fret?

If so could someone please measure the overall height and width of a single window etch.

Many thanks.

Hornby are doing this in their range http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1408_1_1609047.html Are these new tooling coaches.

I've got some of those coaches in BR maroon livery. Definitely "new tooling" (2005/6?), as even Hornby wouldn't have the brass neck to charge £43 RRP for their '70s designed coaches.

The only disappointing aspects of the coaches for me, which are otherwise quite delicate and finely detailed, are :

1. The livery execution - the maroon is a "dead" matt and doesn't seem to improve with "T-Cutting" or similar.

2. The windows have a slightly prismatic appearance from some viewing angles.

3. No composite coach offered to date.

I can't speak for the LMS livery application - I would hope it had a bit more "life", but I haven't examined an LMS liveried coach personally.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Mallard,

Unfortunately wrong length coaches. The CKs were 60' and the Hornby models are of 57' vehicles.

Dapol do the ex Airfix Stanier 60' composite though (both as running model and CKD kit). This could be used as a basis to add Comet sides to produce a decent composite.

" No composite coach offered to date."

Cary:

Comet sides?

P

I didn't want to add to Rob's list of outstanding builds/conversions at this time.

A short rake of GWR "secondary" coaches for Newton Abbot-Plymouth locals or a similar services may need to take priority.

Each coach to a different diagram to create an authentic "unmatched" rake, as seen in so many photographs of the period.

• RMweb Gold

Finding a suitable train isn't difficult (already found one as discussed at Railex Rob) - even one with a suitably short formation - but alas the carriage working programmes only say what type the vehicles are, not what particular design they happen to be or should be.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

GWR folk....

Has anyone got a sample of Scalelink's SLF115 "GWR Signal Box Windows set B" fret?

If so could someone please measure the overall height and width of a single window etch.

Many thanks.

I have used Modelex instead and I have an etch with some left if you want it Spams.Generous GWR.

• RMweb Premium

I have used Modelex instead and I have an etch with some left if you want it Spams.Generous GWR.

Hi Rob, I have two frets of the Modelex ones but only some seem to be the right size for the non-standard, standard Type 7D at BZ. I've found an old postcard showing the box in its original form and the end nearest the shed was very different - lots more glass down to almost ground level. I've got the feeling is was rebuilt by the GWR to end up as close to a Type 7D as they could. Hence the non-symmetrical profile, and non-standard window widths. Hence I was wondering if the Scalelink ones were any different.... I've now remembered why the project stalled!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob, I have two frets of the Modelex ones but only some seem to be the right size for the non-standard, standard Type 7D at BZ. I've found an old postcard showing the box in its original form and the end nearest the shed was very different - lots more glass down to almost ground level. I've got the feeling is was rebuilt by the GWR to end up as close to a Type 7D as they could. Hence the non-symmetrical profile, and non-standard window widths. Hence I was wondering if the Scalelink ones were any different.... I've now remembered why the project stalled!

I don't think an email to Scalelink would bear any fruit either.I'm surprised Captain Kernow hasn't chipped in yet as he's the man on model signal boxes or maybe Gravy Train of this parish could help.