RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone on this thread go to work as I come in after a days work to find nearly a page of replies.

I'd love to be working.   

Stacking shelves in Tescos may be enforced soon.  2 Masters degrees and CIPS, being told what to do by a spotty Business Studies graduate in a shiny suit and pointy shoes...........

it's a good job I have incredible patience when it comes to halfwits.........  24 years in the Army taught me that ......

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

Just to throw in my story about retirement after a couple of bouts of nasty  illness my boss decided to save some money and offered me the chance to go on redundancy - duly grabbed but due to the arrival of idiots in personnel it then took 10 months to get shot of me which cost me money forever on my pension as I missed out on that year's pay rise ('you're retiring') and pension ('you didn't retire in time').  However at the grand old age of 52 I was duly 'retired' and on a pension, leaving me a nett £10 a week worse off than I had been in work (mortgage cleared by pension lump sum).  And I got 'occasional' employment with a signal engineering company, who were soon taken over by Lloyd's Register whose pension scheme I had to join.

Come age 65 my railway pension was drastically reduced (as I had always known would happen) but the loss on that was not as great as the state pension I then began to receive and I found myself starting a  pension from Lloyd's Register which amounts to just over £9 a week nett but it's still money i wouldn't get otherwise.  So I can't complain (too much) about my income but I did pay-in for it of course - which seems to be more than some folk are prepared to do in this day & age - simple fact is that you can't get it twice; you either go without in your employment years to get a better pension later or it's the other way about.

My advice to anyone  is to grab it if you can and look at the effect on your total income and outgoings, not just the income side, because you can save a lot of money by using the lump sum wisely if your scheme offers one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So I can't complain (too much) about my income but I did pay-in for it of course - which seems to be more than some folk are prepared to do in this day & age - simple fact is that you can't get it twice; you either go without in your employment years to get a better pension later or it's the other way about.

My mates thought I was crazy when I started my private pension at the age of 18. :O However lets see how it turns out in 2029 or thereabouts.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'd love to be working.   

Stacking shelves in Tescos may be enforced soon.  2 Masters degrees and CIPS, being told what to do by a spotty Business Studies graduate in a shiny suit and pointy shoes...........

it's a good job I have incredible patience when it comes to halfwits.........  24 years in the Army taught me that ......

I was torn between sympathy and humour. I do sypathise with your problems but the last sentance made me laugh. Beware the halfwits seem to run things judging by MPs

Actually there is a real problem I suspect you are having difficulties because managers do not like employing people clever than themselves it makes them edgy.

Don

Brought to you by The South Hams Gazette:

Exciting news - frequent daily train services to return to Kingsbridge:

http://www.southhams-today.co.uk/news.cfm?id=16566&searchWord=front page &searchYear=current

Our reporter tried to contact ANTB to see if they were prepared to run weekday services from Brent to KIngsbridge as part of an integrated transport network for the South Hams. Unfortunately he was not able to get through:

ANTB: "We are currently experiencing very high call volumes and all our Pension Advisors are busy .........Your call is important to us..... You are 157th in the queue.......(Greensleeeves)......."

Edit for clarity

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

Did You Know ? - An Occasional Series Highlighting Interesting Facts about ANTB - No1:

Did you know that since "R-Day" 8th January 2014 (#2300) 6.51% of ANTB posts have contained the words "Rhino" or "Rhinos" ? See extract below:

"356 out of the last 5,467 of posts on the ANTB thread of RMWeb mention the words "Rhino" or "Rhinos". Government guidelines recommend that a healthy RMWeb thread should have no more than a 5% Rhino content."

(Source: The Office for National Statistics - RM Web Statistical Digest - published December 2014)

• RMweb Gold

Did You Know ? - An Occasional Series Highlighting Interesting Facts about ANTB - No1:

Did you know that since "R-Day" 8th January 2014 (#2300) 6.51% of ANTB posts have contained the words "Rhino" or "Rhinos" ? See extract below:

"356 out of the last 5,467 of posts on the ANTB thread of RMWeb mention the words "Rhino" or "Rhinos". Government guidelines recommend that a healthy RMWeb thread should have no more than a 5% Rhino content."

(Source: The Office for National Statistics - RM Web Statistical Digest - published December 2014)

Rickmansworth

and what about a fight between a fox, a finching and a duck? who would win that?

Well I wouldn't back the Fox at the moment - especially if it's in a blue shirt and running about aimlessly with ten other similarly attired foxes.

• RMweb Premium

Is there a Nod to Brent anymore or is it a Nod to Bangers now? Got any Palethorpes vans?

Brian.

We did that one many pages ago , with photo's .

Page 167 .

Edited by Sidecar Racer