Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Showing my ignorance of all things not of the 1930s, but I was not aware that the Great Bear did that run!  I rather thought she only ran between Paddington and Bristol.  The Riviera seems to be running with Lake 57' Toplights. I would have assumed that it would still be using 70' Dreadnoughts.  How fanciful is this postcard!?!

Judging from the lack of detail, this is a Hornby Design Clever version from the Railroad range.

Looks like a Reginald Dalby illustration from the Railway Series, pretty, but short on prototype fidelity.

Great fun to see.

• RMweb Gold

Showing my ignorance of all things not of the 1930s, but I was not aware that the Great Bear did that run!  I rather thought she only ran between Paddington and Bristol.  The Riviera seems to be running with Lake 57' Toplights. I would have assumed that it would still be using 70' Dreadnoughts.  How fanciful is this postcard!?!

Judging from the lack of detail, this is a Hornby Design Clever version from the Railroad range.

Looks like a Reginald Dalby illustration from the Railway Series, pretty, but short on prototype fidelity.

Great fun to see.

All gets curiouser and curiouser as Alice would say.  That card is not PU (Postally Used) hence no simple dating method but it is almost certainly pre 1914 - as is the sepia one reproduced below.  Now the interesting thing about these two below is that they were both published by the Locomotive Publishing Co and the full colour painting fits reasonably style wise into a series of cards they did of 'express trains'.  But even more interesting is the sepia card is described as 'Down Plymouth Express at Paddington' while the colour card is described as  ',,, the Plymouth Limited leaving London.'

What I suspect happened is that the artist of the commercial card, by Salmon & Co, I posted first has used the sepia card and views of the coast line as his inspiration and assumed the engine worked 'the Plymouth Express' through to Plymouth.  All good fun and I have yet to find a view of it passing through Brent as none of the RP  (real photo) cards I have of it show it in anywhere recognisable as west of Bristol.

post-6859-0-69215300-1445777106_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-91918700-1445777122_thumb.jpg

Incidentally I also have a card of one 'the Frenchmen' (as they were called) working 'the Plymouth Limited' - passing Westbourne Park shed.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Tragic Mills near Newton Abbot.

Edit..... I was about to change it to Trago but if you've ever been there I think I'll leave it as originally typed :)

They like and respect their customers so much there, that they offer to arrange a ride in a police car for them.

Well, it might be in the End of the Pier amusements category, and I would rather boil my head in pitch than enjoy the shopping experience of such a place, but, I don't pretend to be a better modeller than the guys who knocked this together

post-25673-0-63034500-1445797427_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

<< Brian I recall having seen it, or a very similar postcard view, in a book but I have never come across the original card.  Someone is currently selling the same view (but not the original card judging by the price, on Ebhttp://www.ebay.co.u...oEAAOxyBvZTVRUI

it's also worth clicking on his other views below that pic as there are numerous in the Plymouth area and Devon - you can 'pinch' enlarged view of all of them but they have writing across them to discourage you. And there are other views of Mutley and Plymouth railway interest on this pagehttp://www.ebay.co.u...x=1&_nkw=mutley

And you were definitely very young if you travelled from there - Mutley closed 9 years before I was born.

Now as Rob wanted a picture of 'The Great Bear' here it is - an extremely fanciful view to say the very least  >>

Thanks Mike.  The EB picture enlarged quite well and showed a lot of extra detail.  Being of a certain age, I was four when Mutley closed (I was an early trainspotter), old engines are my thing and the Great Bear has always fascinated me and its interesting to see it on a passenger train West of Bristol, if only in the artists imagination.  Could it have made it west if needs be and was a model of this loco ever produced?  In my OO days, one of my favourites was the 4-2-2 Triang Lord of the Isles which hauled all sorts of improbable trains.  Currently my tinplate County does the same thing!

post-21098-0-52242400-1445800582_thumb.jpg

Brian.

• Like 9

Tragic Mills near Newton Abbot.

Edit..... I was about to change it to Trago but if you've ever been there I think I'll leave it as originally typed :)

Hi,

Last time I went to Trago Mills (admittedly the Liskeard branch but I think Newton Abbot is similar) - they had a pretty good selection of very reasonably priced railway books - worth the visit for that I thought!

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Those bl##dy chickens must have a huge egg far'ing muscle to get their eggs from Sarfalk over to Narfalk. Or they are just kept on the border and can stick their arses through a fence or something. Who knows, who cares? I prefer Duck Eggs.

E. Currie.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a long day... Easier now you can board at East Grinstead though

In the bluebell's favour, they do have the Dukedog. Against them, it's out of ticket and was separated from its tender in the stock shed earlier this summer. Think there was also a 56xx in the shed too though I agree that on balance it's all rather a different shade of green!

Tidying up my old slides again today, and reached this happier time in the dukedog's life in May 1983

post-12721-0-60254300-1445810054_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-35377100-1445810061_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Tidying up my old slides again today, and reached this happier time in the dukedog's life in May 1983

attachicon.gif2146.jpg

attachicon.gif2156.jpg

Thanks - nice pics. When I first saw the Dukedog, I took a lot of convincing it was 'built' in the late 30s. There's a shot my father took in the early 60s of 9017 on shed at Machynlleth. When I get chance, I'll scan it and upload it.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin,

Looks like it's been a busy weekend at Brent. ;)

Thanks for posting these photos.

Was there a 93xx in there somewhere?! :D

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444