Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

I suggest you visit this site: https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides

Also the people at YouChoos are well known for expertise and helpfulness - I cannot recommend too highly.

Andy

Blimey, that's useful thank you. I shall just adjust the mounting plate or height of it. Simples seemingly as no sound required.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

The more I think about, the more utterly bonkers the launch of H’s TT range looks. 

There are tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people in the UK with Hornby items in their possession, all in OO gauge. These people range from top-end modellers through to kids with entry level sets, and everyone & everything in between. 

The UK OO market is well established, at least 60 years old, and has a plethora of supporting infrastructure: model shops, magazines, YouTube channels, web forums etc. 

So why then, when you’re in dire financial straights, would you throttle back on supplying to a (relatively) large, known market, and launch a range in a new scale that probably only a couple of hundred people currently model in, and for which it will take the best part of 5 years to get anywhere like a decent range of models to market?

How do you arrive at the assumption that a) there will be a stack of new customers that would buy TT but not OO products from Hornby, and that b) sufficient OO modellers will migrate to TT and buy the range in quantity? 

I just don’t understand how this will pay off on any kind of level H need to balance the books. It’s the Emperor’s New Clothes in my mind. Or is that just me? 

CoY 

The problem which Hornby faced was their perception - and a reality in many respects - that their share of the 00 r-t-r market was declining and I suspect this was really true for them in the revenue impact because competitors were taking away many of the bigger spenders.  So they needed to innovate in a bid to get back market share in terms of percentage of money spent.  This had happened to some extent with opening up the market for industrials but that was too readily copied by others but they werestill falling behind even though they look to have c.50%+ of the r-t-r market in Britain.

So obviously SK returned to his thoughts of some years ago when Hornby had done some market research into TT but from what I've been told by a TT3 modeller they asked the wrong questions and got a poor response.  But TT was the obvious gap in the British market and clearly that is why Hornby have gone there but to make it work they have got to create a totally new market bringing in new buyers instead of just grabbing people modelling in the other scales.  

I can't see a major shift from other scales where many of us have got a lot of time and money already invested so the 'new market' is, I think, critical  and becomes even more important for Hornby.  But are they really going for it yet because I've yet to see any ads outside the existing model railway media.  the tv series will help but in many respects it is Hrnby competing with itself every time it says 'TT120 good, the alternatives nt so good'.   I think the initiative makes sense for the company but I still doubt its ability to create that essential wider market and to support it through a direct relationship with customers and no other channels of either sale or support.  As ever time will tell but i wonder how much time the business plan allows. 

Back to proper model railways ...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The problem which Hornby faced was their perception - and a reality in many respects - that their share of the 00 r-t-r market was declining and I suspect this was really true for them in the revenue impact because competitors were taking away many of the bigger spenders.  So they needed to innovate in a bid to get back market share in terms of percentage of money spent.  This had happened to some extent with opening up the market for industrials but that was too readily copied by others but they werestill falling behind even though they look to have c.50%+ of the r-t-r market in Britain.

So obviously SK returned to his thoughts of some years ago when Hornby had done some market research into TT but from what I've been told by a TT3 modeller they asked the wrong questions and got a poor response.  But TT was the obvious gap in the British market and clearly that is why Hornby have gone there but to make it work they have got to create a totally new market bringing in new buyers instead of just grabbing people modelling in the other scales.  

I can't see a major shift from other scales where many of us have got a lot of time and money already invested so the 'new market' is, I think, critical  and becomes even more important for Hornby.  But are they really going for it yet because I've yet to see any ads outside the existing model railway media.  the tv series will help but in many respects it is Hrnby competing with itself every time it says 'TT120 good, the alternatives nt so good'.   I think the initiative makes sense for the company but I still doubt its ability to create that essential wider market and to support it through a direct relationship with customers and no other channels of either sale or support.  As ever time will tell but i wonder how much time the business plan allows. 

Back to proper model railways ...

Picking up on your point re:shortage of media publicity for the TT scale,the aura of secrecy surrounding the launch is counter productive .Yes I acknowledge that it has probably been hammed up for the media series but in fact at its launch at the Gaydon  show in early November a cordon sanitaire ensuring secrecy was placed around a section of the show in which sat SK with his precious new treasures. Both Robin and I….separately…asked to gain admission .It was after all a show for which we had duly paid an admission fee. I was curious and wanted a look. Robin IIRC wanted to see Simon over another matter. Entry it seems was conditional. We had to “sign up “ to receiving media information. All I wanted was a look and a chat. Holding back on irritation and annoyance,I declined,not wanting to cause a scene and embarrassment and walked away to enjoy the rest of the show .

IMHO such a decision at what was a public show was crass and indefensible and may well have been self defeating .Fast forward two months and lo….on media tv we see the identical stunt. 

On Monday last ,I received a glossy email publicising the show. Which doesn’t happen. It might have been useful and correct to have received a communication in apology containing some kind of explanation. Which also doesn’t happen. The rest is silence.

Why this fascination with secrecy?  Coincidentally,last week I watched the 1979 spy thriller “Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy” and I think to myself Hornby is ,maybe,The Circus with SK in the role of George Smiley. He is however,no Alec Guinness.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Picking up on your point re:shortage of media publicity for the TT scale,the aura of secrecy surrounding the launch is counter productive .Yes I acknowledge that it has probably been hammed up for the media series but in fact at its launch at the Gaydon  show in early November a cordon sanitaire ensuring secrecy was placed around a section of the show in which sat SK with his precious new treasures. Both Robin and I….separately…asked to gain admission .It was after all a show for which we had duly paid an admission fee. I was curious and wanted a look. Robin IIRC wanted to see Simon over another matter. 

I remember it well @Ian Hargrave as I was miffed at being asked for my details when already on their mailing list. I wanted to ask SK about doing the Saint and  Hawksworth County, something I managed to do at Warley. Let them concentrate on TT and let others have a go I say.

• Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Why this fascination with secrecy?  Coincidentally,last week I watched the 1979 spy thriller “Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy” and I think to myself Hornby is ,maybe,The Circus with SK in the role of George Smiley. He is however,no Alec Guinness.

Far more Michael Aldrige (Percy Alleline) than Smiley.  No contest there when you compare their characters in the (recently repeated) BBC series.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Quick thanks to the DCC boys. Std 80xxx suitably fettled and then fitted with chubby Zimo plug and play and working. Hall later!

Now a possibly more suitable ask. I need some Train Formations for Diversions through Seaton Junction in 1960/61 ish and some (say 1958/59) . I've got quite lot of info from that Cornwall 1957 Book and pics of course. However I'm after Colletts and Hawksworths in with the obvious Mk 1s for the named Trains like CRE. The sort of secondary Paddington or Bristol workings and those from Wolverhampton to Plymuff and reverse workings.

Is there an eqivalent volume or WTTs to my SR ones that say exactly what Coaches (well Sets and loose) were used? 

I can make it up of course, but any true info links would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Phil

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Quick thanks to the DCC boys. Std 80xxx suitably fettled and then fitted with chubby Zimo plug and play and working. Hall later!

Now a possibly more suitable ask. I need some Train Formations for Diversions through Seaton Junction in 1960/61 ish and some (say 1958/59) . I've got quite lot of info from that Cornwall 1957 Book and pics of course. However I'm after Colletts and Hawksworths in with the obvious Mk 1s for the named Trains like CRE. The sort of secondary Paddington or Bristol workings and those from Wolverhampton to Plymuff and reverse workings.

Is there an eqivalent volume or WTTs to my SR ones that say exactly what Coaches (well Sets and loose) were used? 

I can make it up of course, but any true info links would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Phil

Lots of carriage working programmes on Robert Carrol’s coaching stock group. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Lots of carriage working programmes on Robert Carrol’s coaching stock group. 

Oh of course. I'll have a poke. Not been there for years now.

22 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Phil

Agree with Trevor above. If you have any difficulty, PM me and I will try to help.

Brian

Very much appreciated Brian.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

we catch Hall class 5993 Kirby Hall on an up freight consisting of some LMS double bolsters and GWR Macaw B's.

Nice!  Looking forward to my Hornby Macaws now.  Wonder if they'll do them with a girder load like Bachmann did.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, checkrail said:

Nice!  Looking forward to my Hornby Macaws now.  Wonder if they'll do them with a girder load like Bachmann did.

They will be interesting to see, I think that I have Macaws from just about everyone else! 

• Like 4

It is not the first time Hornby or Triang has done the Mawcaw. The old wagon from the 70's was spot on to the drawing for a GWR Mawcaw. I cannot remember which diagram as mine is back in the UK. It just needed replacement bogies (Ratio) and an updated underframe. The Triang even had self contained buffers. The last one I bought was listed as a Triang R23 Salmon bogie bolster. I was educated to this seeing a very detailed example on an EM layout, clearly not the Bachmann or Airfix due to the length.

Mike Wiltshire

1991595031_bolster2.jpg.b9dbe2eb2b744f706d3c95211ece4348.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

Hi Rob,

I recently started following your Topic and until latest post hadn't realised that you modelled Kingswear as well as Brent. Have you a plan which shows how it all fits together or is that left to the imagination?

Colin

I haven’t Colin although I’m a big fan of Kingwear as a prototype for a model railway. Quite a few of my locos are Newton Abbot based and therefore could have been seen on the branch as well as the South Devon mainline, 4943 is such an example.

@PJBambrick rendition of Kingswear is worth seeking out, superb modelling .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

tell me more about the seaside destination you've shown in those photos.

Inspired by the bits of water along the coast after leaving Exeter St Davids, that's all. Places along the sea wall[ Starcross/Teignmouth/ Cockwood and Boat Cove at Dawlish. I've always had passion for British holidays, especially the west and more people should explore what's on our doorsteps.

I was planning on upgrading the walls using Redutex sheets but the one I originally fancied is now out of production. Thanks for your interest @BWsTrains

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2