Nuts and bolts for fixing bogies to chassi's?

Hi,

Can anyone help, i'm currently working on loads of different kits from S-Kits and others and i also want to modify some wagons with new white metal bogies.

I've got a few here which i bought ready made with the nuts and bolts supporting the bogies but after checking Eileens Emporium and local diy shops i just can't find small nuts and bolts to support the bogies to the chassis's! Does anyone know were i can get these from? I think its 3 or 4mm i need so they fit through the hole in the centre of the bogie and also so the nut isn't noticable behind the bogies aswell.

Any help much appreciated guys.

Best Regards

Rich

• RMweb Premium

If possible it's better to use shouldered bolts so that the bogie doesn't rotate on the thread and you can't overtighten the securing nut.  I don't know of anywhere to get them from though I get a mate to make my 7mm ones.

Jamie

Not having a lathe (or the skills to use one), I make shouldered screws with a short length of suitable brass tube.

It depends on the actual bogie/vehicle, but I Usually use 3mm (or sometimes 4 - some come with rather large holes!) screws for the pivot (6 BA or 4 BA do as well). (4mm scale)

Maplin used to do a kit of smaller metric screws, but I can't find it on their website - some stores may still have stocks - or there is always eBay.

I get ALL my BA nuts, bolts & washers from the extensive range at Eileens Emporium. 14 BA are small enough foir 7mm valve gear, 6 BA is right for attaching the bodies to the chassis.

8BA wiould be good for 4mm chassis fixings.

My 7mm scale bogie & pony truck post are made with 8BA bolts and a brass tube over the bolt.  I guess 4mm scale would be better with 10 or 12 BA bolts and smaller diameter brass tube. (I am guessing, of course, for 4mm. But I used that size in 7mm narrow gauge scratch building and they are basically 4mm sized chassis.)

PS You say you could not find them on Eileens site. Try looking in the tab BA Fasteners & tools. Plenty in that section.

I would never recommend attaching bogies with just a screw. If the bogie is etched it can catch in screw thread, and if not the threads will act as a file on the inside of the pivot hole. A much better solution is to use a piece of tube which is firmly bolted to the wagon body with a retaining washer on the outer end. The bolt can either be a small series BA or metric thread or a small self tapper if the frames are white metal or plastic. I certain situations a standard axle bush can be used instead of a tube.

It is is important of good running that the bogie can move in pitch and roll as well as the yaw planes. So if there is a deep hole in the bogie bolster it should be tapered to allow the correct degrees of freedom.

Archived