Is using Metcalf brick paper cheating?

I need to build a number of Terrace houses and various other buildings for my layout and was thinking of using Mettcalf brick papers but is this cheating?

I have used embossed pasti card in the past but from normal viewing distances this is not that noticable??

• RMweb Premium

Yes, if you have to ask the question then it must be cheating! ;-)

But seriously - the colours of printed brick paper are good. I wouldn't touch it

with the proverbial barge-pole because I like the relief of styrene, but arguably

my relief is excessive and the colours of printed paper are better than what I

usually manage when painting.

Most of us can't achieve perfection - anything which looks good enough and

which *you* can live with will do. Your railway, your rules!

ken

• RMweb Gold

Evening Paul,

Personally speaking I wouldn't consider it cheating. At the end of the day it's your layout and you have a feel for how you want to portray things.

I've seen some brilliant modelling with brick papers and with the advent of downloadable kits/paper etc there has been a kind of renaissance in recent years.  It may be worth having a look on this section of the site:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/113-card-structure-modelling-forum/

Hopefully it will give you some ideas and Scalescenes may save you some money.  The brick papers come in a multitude of colours and types of brick or stone to add a variety to your buildings. Here's the link if you've never come across them before:

http://www.scalescenes.com/

Some modellers are printing these brick papers onto self adhesive labels thus aiding application.

Hope that helps? Look forwards to seeing the fruits of your labours.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

What are you doing that it could be considerd cheating? Is it an art exam in drawing brickwork?

In a model contest, it would still count towards scrachbuilding, but you would get even mode points for drawing them individually.  Or laying them.

I suppose it might be cheating to use photocopies of Metcalfe's bricks.

Its just beecause I'm not use to using it.

Normally I use good old plasticard, but I can see the time it will save me using brick papers the only problem is when it comes to weathering, still I suppose it gives me the chance to develop a whole new set of skills,

Printed brickpaper is flat, with no relief for the motar lines.

If you scale a real brick wall down to model railway size it too will be flat, with no relief worth talking of for the mortar lines.

Ergo. no problems with using brickpaper. :)

• RMweb Gold

There are various members on this site who achieve (to my eyes) miraculous results with card and brick and stone papers - no, it's certainly not cheating. 

If you do use Scalescenes papers try printing onto matt A4 label paper - ready gummed with peelable back sheet. Saves a lot of phaffing around with messy glue, and at around 7p per sheet well worth it in my opinion.

Personally I prefer card modelling for buildings. The printed brick papers can be more realistic than embossed styrene depending on how good your painting skills are. People often think my brick paper is embossed that they have to run their finger over it to check.

• RMweb Gold

Why do we model? To get an effect, to imply realism. Any method that gets the right result is kosher, and will be admired if decently applied. Brickpapers versus moulded plastic is a score-draw in my opinion - each has its admirers, each has super results for the patient worker. Try the paper method and see how you like it.

I agree with Brian Taylor (above). I have built several of his downloadable kits and the effect is good. I have no connection with him, except for being a satisfied customer.

Plasticard for me looks too sterile, the pointing is moulded too deep - when you look at a prototype brick wall the pointing is, at most, 1/2" below the brick surface. Scale that to 4mm to the foot and it equates to .166r mm. In real terms that is just a scratch on the surface of a sheet of plasticard.

If you want a textured surface on brick paper a good tip is to place the brick paper sheet printed side up on a sheet of sandpaper and, without moving the paper,  rub it gently with your hand. If done carefully this gives a realistic texture to the brick paper.

Chaps thanks for the tips, all I have to do now is find the bag of mounting card I put safe in the house and as normal forgot where I put it

I'm sure I will develop some new skills as I have roughly 40 terrace houses to build the good news is that some will be in half relief so that should save me some time.

post-7312-0-95422000-1364757526.jpg

These are covered in brick paper. Although to 3mm scale, I feel that the extra work to clad in plastic just isn't going to produce anything better. Plus card/brick paper doesn't cost so much and little expense is wasted if you get it wrong first time. As a preference I use black mounting card- and touch the edges with a Conte pastel matched for me by my local art shop- also a good source of offcuts which are cheap.

Good luck

Steve ( more on card modelling on my blog- click on link below.)

An interesting assumption that using brick papers is cheating.   Isn't practically all railway modelling cheating one way or the other?  Electric motors in steam & diesel locos. Plastikard houses with plastic glass.  Plaster/cork etc for rock and earth.   The list is endless.

My ethos, if it looks good, use it.

I do agree that larger scales should avoid paper brick/stone, embossed card/plastikard is much more realistic.  Hardly noticable in smaller gauges from normal viewing angles IMHO.  Having said that, I think roofs should be embossed or indivually tiled as they are very noticable if printed papers are used.

I use a mix of both in my HO layout. But stick to embossed/plastikard on my 7mm layouts.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I think the other disadvantage of using embossed plasticard is, especially for roofing. It is just too rigid. If you are modelling older buildings, the roof timbers will probably have warped and the ridge sagged in the middle. Using card (whether hand building with individual slated or with printed papers, you can bend card to get a good profile.

Many an old farmers barn has been made look unconvincing, with a roof like a modern "lego" house.

Good luck,

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Still very much a work in progress but I'm happy with the way it's progressing.  The wall and booking office are Scalescenes printed brick.  The roof tiles are Howard Scenics printed tiles (laid in strips to get some regularity and some iregularity with age).  The platform edge (not terribbly clear here) is Metcalf.

CWindowsidea800px_zps30df815f.jpg

Why has no-one argued for the real finescale answer -  moulding, firing and laying 2.8215223mm x 1.3451443mm x 0.8530183mm bricks? That is assuming P4 standards, of course; T gauge would just be silly.

Not forgetting making the mortar.

I think the roof is the most important part of a convincing building. (The walls are not quite so and printed pares/card are acceptable in the smaller scale of 4mm and below. Time spent laying indivdual tiles/slates are well worth the effort. The strips of tiles on your model roof does look convincing.  Sagging of older roofs are important too, as was stated above.

Archived