Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Old Elm Common (N gauge Hydraulic era layout)

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Peco code 55 as its the only real choice at the moment, although i dd look at the Atlas code 55 which has much nicer pointwork with little chance of wheel 'drop' at the frog.

Dave

I did have some Atlas code 55 on the curves in the fiddleyard on Santa Barbara /  Banbury but some stock (cant remeber which items but probably the older Farish) runs on the chairs / spikes, so I eventaully replaced it with Peco code 55.

Ian

Dave.

Will be looking forward to this project as n gauge will also allow the A plant to be modelled.

I have a similar layout in 00 gauge under old oak common hydraulic heydays but only have modelled the fueling shed and turntable area with some out buildings.

Unfortually the Dapol western does,nt like my trackwork and derails often.

You also have the option of the canal for space.

some pics of locos and buildings to help I hope.

Richard.

post-10094-0-53149100-1365603029.jpg

post-10094-0-79680200-1365603045.jpg

post-10094-0-02109800-1365603071.jpg

post-10094-0-37474800-1365603139.jpg

post-10094-0-92226200-1365603228.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Well this morning (Wednesday 15th May) my baseboards arrived. Good job done by Black Cat, and apart from a few minor transport 'dings' (thanks City Link :nono: ) they are just fine.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I know how big 4ft x 2ft 6inches is, but its not until you put a loco or 4 on them you realise just HOW BIG it actually is, and I have 2 of them.

That's going to be 1 big old depot methinks.

Soon be time to put some track down and get a feel for the area involved.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-21435800-1368612951_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-05115600-1368612988_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a great idea. I never got anywhere close to completing the 2011 challenge which was to be based on OOC. Still tempted to have a go at a slightly larger version though with a running line to.

You've even nearly nicked my layout name (although I can't really complain as it never got further than a board!)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37293-old-elm-park/

• 3 weeks later...

Having just seen the delightful 'Barton Road' at the recent N gauge society AGM and show in Poynton has made me make an expensive but I hope fruitful decision.

I'm buying Cobalt slow action point motors for the layout :-)

I just love the way they purr and slowly switch the points.

anyway if anyone has any thoughts on their usage, fitting etc, then i'd love to hear it please. feel free to post here.

cheers

Dave

P.S.  Here's a couple of pictures of Barton Road and what I aspire to in my own little way.

post-1144-0-28118200-1370355454_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-38655400-1370355466_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Dave

I bought a lot of the Cobalt motors with built in DCC decoders last year for my 2fs layout and would suggest you test any you buy straight away.

As I had the DCC versions I wanted to see how they worked and how easy they were to wire and program. Upon testing the first few I ended up testing them all and found 5 to be non responsive. After a few emails between DCC concepts, the retailer I bought them from and myself a fix was suggested which worked for 3 of the 5 but 2 were still dead units. DCC concepts were very helpful and sent out 2 replacement motors which I received quite quickly.

I'm not sure which versions you plan on using but I can certainly say the DCC versions are so simple to wire up. The low noise and smooth movement along with the small size is what made me buy them in the first place. I'm sure you will be pleased with using them.

Cheers

Martin

Having just seen the delightful 'Barton Road' at the recent N gauge society AGM and show in Poynton has made me make an expensive but I hope fruitful decision.

I'm buying Cobalt slow action point motors for the layout :-)

I just love the way they purr and slowly switch the points.

anyway if anyone has any thoughts on their usage, fitting etc, then i'd love to hear it please. feel free to post here.

cheers

Dave

P.S.  Here's a couple of pictures of Barton Road and what I aspire to in my own little way.

Well I don't think there's a nicer thing one modeller can say to another than that their work inspires them. Cheers Dave, that's very kind of you and very appreciated, and I'm glad it kept you entertained!

But it must be said, the idea of the layout came about mainly as a result of you and your company's decision to produce those fantastic couplers, as I wanted to progress with my next layout and I wanted something that featured much more flexible and intensive shunting than Bishops Bridge's shuffling of block rakes, which only became possible with the release of your Easi Shunt magnetic couplers and glue-on NEM pockets, which work really well and are a joy to operate with!

I'll look forward to seeing some shots of Old Elm Common as it progresses!

Cheers,

Benn.

Edited by Benn
  • Like 4

Hi everyone,

after a few weeks delay I thought i'd start posting pics of the stock for the layout starting with my 2 'pride and joys', a pair of Warships ala Mercig Studio's.

Enjoy.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-89384000-1371116757_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-04192600-1371116780_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Before I start any layout in earnest I always have a plan in my mind (I never put one on paper as if it looks good in the flesh you have a tendency to know), but I always pre-visualise by laying out things on baseboards just to get a feel for the 'look' I want to achieve.

Here is a pre-vis of baseboard 1, showing the 3 length (yes they will be joined with no gaps) engine shed, the 2 x 2 road sheds, the high rise on the upper level, and a managers shed, and turntable, just laid down in place (roughly for effect).

Baseboard 2 will have the maintenance shed, the modern (ala Laira) traction shed, fuelling point and tanks, signal box, 2 lines coming in at an angle joining the lines that comes off the depot and the GWR style etched brass footbridge that CRS is doing for me.

I will need to DCC and motorise the turntable, and will be asking my friend Carl about doing that.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-01492900-1379690871_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-30688800-1379690890_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Looking like it's coming together.... rather well!

How will it work operationally?  Will there be any trains along the diagonal "running lines" you mention, or will it be simply a steady stream of locos coming on and off shed with the occasional fuel delivery?

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

I'm not sure at this juncture to be honest.

At the moment the nearest track is the Pullman servicing siding ( thanks P.H.Designs) but ideally if I can squeeze across I might put in a 2 track running line that cuts across baseboard 2, which means an end to end concept with a plan view of a 'U' shape.

However ideally I'd like as much space as possible for the depot without making it looked cramped (if 8ft x 2'6" as a depot can ever looked cramped in N gauge.

I'll put the 2 boards together next week and take some more pre-vis pictures.

Cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone sitting on designs/plans for the "modern" loco servicing shed at Laira out there?

I'm going to scratch build a "look alike" but the glassy look of Laira's shed is something I'd like to try and recreate.

Cheers

Dave

Hi everyone,

At last i've managed to get the other baseboard up with the original to allow full 'pre-vis' of the proposed layout.

A couple of revelations and realisations.

Firstly 8 foot isn't enough to realise what i'm trying to achieve, but I realise that its all i'm likely to have at present. 

So the revelation is that I shall put 2 angled running lines across 1 corner which will run across an optional (for shows) 1ft frontal extension to the main 2 baseboards before running to a 1 ft side extension to allow a 'U' shaped layout with a fiddle yard at either and on the legs of the 'U'

The 2 lines next to the 3 shed engine shed will be for full rakes of Pullmans (Blue and hopefully a white one too).

Anyway, I have colour coded the layout a bit;

Red is a signal box

Black is the track that will need laying (all track is placed at the moment)

Yellow is the back panel which will be a few centimetres in form the baseboard edge to allow for point switches (toggle type).

Green will be a townscape raised up and separated from the running lines by walling.

Blue will be a GWR etched brass footbridge with steps down at strategic places into the depot yard for staff.

I'm still not totally happy with the track layout and have a few days to alter as required, so any thoughts are gratefully received.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-18249900-1382290606_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-50830300-1382290635_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-40227200-1382290666_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-74802000-1382290694_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

A quick update for the layout.

I've finished the track plan, and due to space constraints the baseboards are down and stored for a month while I get a few things for the layout.

Richard from CRS sent me some test etchings for his new GWR foorbridge, and I have suggested some changes to the etching that he's looking at making, but believe me, what a lovely model, and id recommend it to anyone once available.

I'm currently making some loco inspection platforms for the engine shed Laira 'look alike' that I shall start making soon based around pictures of the real thing. However i'm extrapolating sizes based on doorways for locos, the platforms and clearances required.

Carl of 'Vale of Oxbury' fame has managed to get me a gearbox/motor conversion kit for my Peco turntable (which needs modifying) so that's also something that will feature heavily on the layout.

Lastly, master modeller Mercig Studios has sent me his latest creation for me, and for your delectation, I present the pictures of this model below.

Pure art from the best in the business.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-63101800-1383391585_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-83171500-1383391613_thumb.jpg

• Like 1