RMweb

Old Elm Common (N gauge Hydraulic era layout)

DJM Dave

Hi guys,

I've been toying with this idea for a while now while i wait for a change of houses in a few years time to let me do my long promised scottish layout.

It's come about because of the delightful Warship, Hymek and soon to be released Western models that are available.

So, supplemented with a peak or 2, a couple of 37's, a couple of 47's and 31's (when they appear), my dream is of an 'Old Oak Common' feel layout of 8ft x 2ft.

This would include a 2 stall loco shed (2 of them making it twice as long (perhaps 3 times), a single road servicing shed, turntable, wqashing facility and a couple of crew and administration buildings spread across the layout. No mainline, but an off scene line to allow a change of loco's.

I have ordered the baseboards from Black Cat, and the whole layout will be DCC with sound in most, if not all loco's.

If you get a chance take a look at Old Oak Common on Google earth, and suggest anything that you think i should incorporate, or if you have a track layout in mind i'd be pleased to hear it.

Mercig will be doing his thing on the loco's apart from the very clean ex works ones. :yes:

I think the layout should not look full with 15-20 loco's on shed.

Any feed back at all would be welcome at this stage.

cheers

Dave

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Look forward to this new layout.

Theres some good couplings on the market these days you might care to use to shunt the fuel tanks around, multiple up locos etc!!

Was good to have a chat at the weekend.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Couple of thoughts.

1. How big is the fiddle yard going to be? With Old Oak Common there is a big sense of depth to the site, and a reasonable amount of track between the main lines and the first sheds. I am thinking maybe you keep the fiddle yard to 3 tracks a side using 3 way points for the fan to maximise the storage

2. What will be the scenic break at either end?

3. How many main line tracks? I guess with only 2ft you will have to keep to 2.

Now for the really important part. So is that why you got the job at Dapol, to develop the loco's you need for you own layout? Damn fine work if you can get it :-)

Lol, yes the layout, for transportability reasons, is only 2ft wide.

I don't plan a mainline at all, just a spread out depot with a fan going into a single track that goes off scene.

I have the option, luckily, to double the width or even length (or both) if I decide I want a mainline too.

3 way points are a must and I have 3 on order.

Im also sorting out a powered turntable for it too.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

This sounds like an interesting project.  Are we talking late 60s or early-mid 70s?  Did Western Pullman power cars get serviced at OOC during the era you are depicting?

Oh, and don't forget a pair of BR Blue OOC snowploughs!

cheers

Ben A.

Nice play on the name there Dave, I like it!

Will this be a mix of liveries, Maroon, Green, (blue or desert sand, etc!) - I'm sure that will be better than just one colour!

Cheers,

John E.

Hi John,

yes it will feature coats of many colours :-)

• Like 1

Hi Ben

I remember seeing a Blue Pullmann going OOC bound slowly over the A40 on a Saturday afternoon (around 1.20pm) in the early 70's so yes :-)

and no idea where i can get those snowploughs from! lol  ;-)

cheers

Dave

Dave's long term project is a Scottish layout once he has moved. In the mean time he is doing this one. Are you going to include a class 22 or 2 as they look superb?

Hi Richard,

the current stud wish list has the following on it.

Farish 08

2 x Class 31's (when they arrive)

6 x Class 22's

2 x class 37

2 x class 47

1 x As built class 50 (when they arrive)

5 x Warships

5 x Hymeks

10 x Westerns

1 x Peak

1 x Blue Pullmann

1 x WR reverse Blue Pullmann (if one arrives)

1 x DMU

1 x 121 bubble car

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Interesting '1 x DMU' hmm, for OOC that would be a 116 wouldn't it?

117 for the Paddington suburban services I think. By a staggering co-incidence, these Pressed Steel DMUs were basically 3-car versions of the 121 bubble car.

OK, I admit it, I am fishing. :rolleyes:

Also the Kernow Class 41 may get scaled down?

That would be nice, albeit a bit frustrating as I just finished buliding a kit of one. :banghead:

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Well it's been a frenetic few weeks in the purchasing department. Baseboards bought and awaiting delivery, track ordered and awaiting delivery, Warships to Mercig for 'improving' upon.

I have cheated a lot and purchased some Graham Farish Scenecraft buildings and i cannot recommend these highly enough as the time they will save is perfect to allow me to get the 'feel' of the depot right..

I have bought the following;

2 x 4 road engine sheds for modifying into 1 longer 4 road engine shed (and i'll keep an eye on this as i think i need a third for 'extra length' ooooerrr missus.

1 x single road engine servicing shed

1 x 2 road engine shed

base and extension office block

Pit head bath house (trust me its an ideal shape and size).

Loco washing plant

Single height Crew building

On order or being considered include the depot crane, a water tower (GWR type of course), Fuel tanks, fuelling point, bike rack (old style)

Once i have the baseboards in a week or 2's time i'll start putting some pictures up on here so you can gauge progress.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6