Scot-Rail ballast.

lmsforever

And where do you think Lanarkshire Models used to get it from when I sold it at exhibitions, I have a cracking picture of my old Landie with a trailer full of the stuff in the stock yard, it was like a moon scape or should that be a Mars scape being red.... The quarry itself was a hole in the top of a hill, a volcanic core I believe.

I may still have some if you're desperate. Not 12" to the foot of course.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

And where do you think Lanarkshire Models used to get it from when I sold it at exhibitions, I have a cracking picture of my old Landie with a trailer full of the stuff in the stock yard, it was like a moon scape or should that be a Mars scape being red.... The quarry itself was a hole in the top of a hill, a volcanic core I believe.

I may still have some if you're desperate. Not 12" to the foot of course.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Another source, IIRC, was a quarry at Clatchard, between Ladybank and Perth; hence the number of ballast wagons lettered 'Empty to Ladybank'.

HI All

Law Junction is ballasted with the red granite, but you have to tone it down with a wash of sorts.

Drem was done with Clatchard as we went there and got bags of dust an sieved it out.

Regards Arran

Well there is a picture taken at Beattock where one line was grey and the other was fresh Lanark pink and a Brit is hurtling down the hill so it is possible that the Waverley line could have got some before the end and most definitely during your 'hibernation' period but probably only on the main line, maybe the loops but not the sidings.

My driveway is Lanark pink....

All the best,

Dave Franks

Archived