Producing brick papers in Photoshop

I have photographed a section of blue brick tiles needed for my Bridgnorth model. 

I have photoshop 10 (very recently acquired) and don't see an easy method of copying to produce an A4 sheet of these tiles to 4mm scale. I assume it must be possible but before I dash out to get a "Dummies" book can anyone confirm that I'm looking at the right program to do the job?

I would RTBM if the disc came with one!

It may be possible in "Paint" but a quick look today defeated me!

Any advice on either program appreciated !

The problem you get with photographed brick is the colour variation of the photograph from one side to the other albeit slight. When the image is 'tiled' to produce a sheet of bricks it ends up showing a kind of pattern where the image is repeated. This is not what you need as it looks awful.

Tiling in photoshop is actually quite easy as if you make the master pattern correctly and to scale then save that as a new image you can copy and paste that into photoshop, when you paste the next one and move it into place it will snap to orient itself with the previous image albeit on a new layer. You can merge down the layers after a few pastes and then copy the whole thing giving you a new bigger master to speed things up. After a few iterations you are pretty much copying and pasting half a sheet!

Do you have a copy of the image file so we can see whether we think it will tile well?

I am lucky enough to have access to AutoCAD which has a lot of tile-able textures of all kinds of finishes at my disposal which are made to tile 3D CAD models but work equally as well for brick papers on model buildings

Cav

Thanks for that, Cav,

My image of the blue brick tiles is hidden in the BCB saga at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57151-bc-blues-baseboards-and-base-scenics/page-20

Scroll down to post #496 near the bottom of the page.

I know how to get rid of (some) of the moss in the crevasses, and can edit out my shoes(!) but multiplying the image ???

I have Autocad 13 which came with my other (now ancient) computer when I purchased it from the works on retirement. My Autocad skills have diminished with age and distance from the coal-face!  

Nice website I may well use that in future. As for the OP bricks it doesn't seem there's any to suit. If you like I can look at creating a sheet based on a blue brick from autoCAD and adding the grip pattern using photoshop. Bare with me for a bit.

Cav

Smokebox,

I have scoured the web here and abroad, looking for the blue-brick tile used in profusion in the Black Country, and shown in my picture (see link above). 

I have no desire to go into production myself, but needs must if what I'm looking for is not available.

Cav. thanks ... I think that the BCB boys might have a use for some too!

Thanks for that, Cav,

My image of the blue brick tiles is hidden in the BCB saga at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57151-bc-blues-baseboards-and-base-scenics/page-20

Scroll down to post #496 near the bottom of the page.

I know how to get rid of (some) of the moss in the crevasses, and can edit out my shoes(!) but multiplying the image ???

I have Autocad 13 which came with my other (now ancient) computer when I purchased it from the works on retirement. My Autocad skills have diminished with age and distance from the coal-face!  

I've always known these as "Staffordshire Blue Paviours". I would have thought the best way would be to draw up using AutoCAD or somesuch and then get York Modelmaking to laser cut a few sheets.

Archived