Dunster. OOgauge on the GWR West Somerset line.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Gold

Sasquatch,

Before you do go changing signals, my research into GWR and BR(W) signalling practice (assisted by others on this forum) would suggest that a shorter arm on the bracket signal for a main to siding movement is quite acceptable, and there were many such arrangements.

ie Milverton on the Barnstaple line:

See http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwe/S768.htm

There are many other examples if you care to trawl through the site.

Regards

Richard.

• Like 1

"...a shorter arm on the bracket signal for a main to siding movement is quite acceptable ..."

I would say not merely 'acceptable', but essential. However it should be noted that the older GWR used a particular type of small bracketed arm for goods entry. As regards Milverton, old pictures may show that type of arrangement, whilst in BR days the bracket was removed altogether and replaced by a ground disc.

The 'problem' here - whilst recognisng the well-known 'modeller's licence' - is that the layout as shown combines a variation of both early and late BR period signalling superimposed on a track layout which never existed, ie a down facing siding off the single line just west of the level-crossing. IMHO either you need to replicate an actual layout and its signalling, or else modify the signalling to match the layout that you wish to use.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The sgnal I built up combined  two ratio kits one quite old with sectioal posts that I drilled out in order to pass mico fillament wires to light the lamps. The signals are removeable and fully opperational! This was not easy to achieve.

There is a picture somewhere on the internet showing Dunster signal box being jacked up and loaded on to a well wagon (I would assume). It also shows a junction bracket signal with two arms  albeit without the arms themselves, both red!

The layouts old configuration was suited to this as the line split in two just past the gates towards the fiddle yard. Now I have changed this by adding a new 4' section the signal is wrong.

I should construct a new signal with a disc!

Still, working signals are so much fun I am more concerned with building signals for my other layout Goathland which faces the same problem as the signaling differs over time periods. 

So I might have to start waving my modellers licence about.

Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

"There is a picture somewhere on the internet showing Dunster signal box being jacked up and loaded on to a well wagon (I would assume). It also shows a junction bracket signal with two arms  albeit without the arms themselves, both red!"

That photo would date from early years of preservation, when the signal-box was moved to its current location at Minehead. The bracket signal in the view would be the one that was installed in 1966.

Do not forget also that you will need a trap point at the exit from the west siding and a ground disc there. Also, looking at the pix, videos and plan, I can't see any sign of an Up Home to protect the siding connection and the west crossing, nor a Down Home at the other end. If you are going to spend time making working signals, then I think it would be worthwhile looking more closely at this matter so that you put the right ones in the right places :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Thats right! I added the up starter for opperational interest. The lamp in it cost more than the kit which I found at a show for a quid. The best pound  I think I ever spent.

I also realise that the down distant should be fixed so I could install the siding disc and use the control from the distant.

There are so many projects on the go already its hard not to get distracted.    

• RMweb Premium

Its a model! ,far from accurate. When I go on to model Minehead that will be very compressed also and only a scale 225 yards from Dunster!!

I will try to find that book you recommeded first I think, budget allowing of course!

Edited by Sasquatch

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Today Dunster has been taken apart so a few interesting pics which show how it all goes together (or should that be comes apart).

post-8964-0-77959500-1377834065_thumb.jpg

The fiddle yard.

post-8964-0-38146900-1377834096.jpg 

post-8964-0-01974700-1377834216.jpg

Ian Rice stile puzzle piece sections.

post-8964-0-95733200-1377834131.jpg

post-8964-0-12586800-1377834161.jpg

post-8964-0-27784100-1377834184_thumb.jpg

Sad to put it into storage :(

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I may well be at the real Dunster on Sunday - I hope that'll still be in one piece!!

Is this 'demolition' just temporary????

Hi Chris,

Yes we're moving house! there's more about it at the end of my Goathland thread.

Enjoy your day out. I'll make it there one day.

Shaun

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have just measured the attic rooms in the new house and found that Dunster will fit in one of them albeit in its 16' guise.

It is fully decorated with carpet and heating there is even 2 windows.

Question is how do we get it up the awkward steep little stair-case.

Edited: because I can't spell to save my life.

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Gold

Hi Sasquatch, just returned to this thread and see I've missed a lot great updates. I especially like those evening shots. Great stuff. Glad to hear that Dunster will be back up again in your new house, as you say it would be a real shame to dismantle it for good!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mikkel,

It was designed to come apart and goes together quite quickly. We take it to the local show here each year.  And once had it broken down and in the truck in about 45 mins! Real fun.

I'm glad that I didn't destroy the corner pub section of which I should post a picture on here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here are a few poor pictures we took a while ago.

This pub is a Wills craftsman kit that I had to find a spot on this layout for. I know it would be more at home on the LBSCR deep in Sussex but I think it is the best OO building kit on the market and wasn't going to waste it after all the hours spent building it. 

post-8964-0-57965100-1379295100_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-70569900-1379295123_thumb.jpg

The layout at the Medford show in 2008

post-8964-0-56006600-1379295223_thumb.jpg

Some sixtiesish pics

post-8964-0-21556400-1379295088_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-80517700-1379295201_thumb.jpg

And 1930s ishpost-8964-0-91445800-1379295238_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

WOW Shaun, thanks for pointing this out to me on FY, what a beauty, love the working gates and your good lady take a mean Video, I can see why you married her, hahha

It really deserves to be on page one and more comments on the work you have achieved and the Videos will be worth a second look later.

All the best,

Bodgit :sungum:

EDIT = Had to put and extra O in Good, it said God Lady, hahhaa

Edited by Andrew P

WOW Shaun, thanks for pointing this out to me on FY, what a beauty, love the working gates and your good lady take a mean Video, I can see why you married her, hahha

It really deserves to be on page one and more comments on the work you have achieved and the Videos will be worth a second look later.

All the best,

Bodgit :sungum:

EDIT = Had to put and extra O in Good, it said God Lady, hahhaa

God Lady sounds about right to me.

Tony.

Been playing with the new camera this evening.

Click on the images to make them really pop out!

Stunning stuff - You really do like your evening shots! It's particularly good to see all the signal-lever linkages down below, you rarely find this modelled ;-)

And the diesel... I really like them, but I recently over-did the purse buying teak-sleepers and full-brakes - and they aren't even my period! But I did need something for my few fondly owned LNER locos: - Blue A4s, Grey Silver Link and the green engines - Flying Scotsman, etc. I didn't have a damn thing for them to haul! :(

Tony.

Edited by Brass0four