Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

LNER Passenger Trains and Formations

silverlink

49 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Is the email from Crecy or another bookseller? I've not received anything from Crecy regarding my order with them...

I received an email from the bookseller I have ordered from, which is not Crecy.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

For me it the race between delivery of this book and the Hornby BR 78xxx 2-6-0, both of which were ordered about three years ago !  I’ve learned to be patient - I know neither will be perfect but I will enjoy both immensely. Notwithstanding alleged errors in volume 1, it is a well presented book with lots of pictures that gives insight to a time when trains were trains and portions were portions. How fascinating how sets of coaches evolved over time to meet the needs of operators and changing timetables. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Order placed on the Crecy website this morning, and seems to be accepted OK. 

(Publication date shown as yesterday - 1/10/23)

I have now received a cancellation of this order, referring 'to doubt over a reprint'. Has it ever been printed in the past?

We seem to be back to square 1, with a status of "on order".

Edited by Kelvin Pinnock
Reply from Crecy
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Kelvin Pinnock said:

Order placed on the Crecy website this morning, and seems to be accepted OK. 

(Publication date shown as yesterday - 1/10/23)

I have now received a cancellation of this order, referring 'to doubt over a reprint'. Has it ever been printed in the past?

We seem to be back to square 1, with a status of "on order".

I'm sure the second volume (which is the one which was expected yesterday) has never been printed before!

1 hour ago, 31A said:

I'm sure the second volume (which is the one which was expected yesterday) has never been printed before!

To quote Crecy's reply : 'LNER Train Formations is currently out of stock, furthermore I do not know when a reprint will be available.' 

The order status actually says 'out of stock'.

I wonder if the reply was mistakenly referring to Volume 1, although the order was clearly for volume 2.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The “Hive” website which some of us seem to have ordered from (see above) is now showing “Out of Stock” in one place and “Publication Date 1 October” [still] in another!

The wording about Vol. 2 on Mr Banks’ own website has remained unchanged for several years now. 

Shambolic!

Edited by Willie Whizz

Irrespective of what's happening with Vol.2, a reprint of Vol. 1 (or an updated edition) would be very welcome for folk like me who missed out when it was first published.  To judge by the prices asked for secondhand copies of Vol. 1, there is considerable pent up demand.

2 hours ago, Wuggie Norple said:

Irrespective of what's happening with Vol.2, a reprint of Vol. 1 (or an updated edition) would be very welcome for folk like me who missed out when it was first published.  To judge by the prices asked for secondhand copies of Vol. 1, there is considerable pent up demand.

Gulp!

Just looked online on Amazon and there is only one copy for sale and it’s £125!

Think I’ll sell my copy 🤣

Interesting that, isn’t it, considering some people are all too willing to point out the “errors” in Vol. 1. 

As I’ve said before, when one or other of these ‘sperts writes and gets published a better book accessible to a mainstream audience, they will 100% have an order from me. Until then, for all its actual and alleged flaws, it remains the best we can get on the subject.

One would have to hope though that any Vol. 1 reprint would contain - as a very minimum - the corrections already acknowledged as required on the Banks website. I gather such things are not always legally or practically within an author’s own control, so anyone who decides to lobby the publisher should stress that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

I e-mailed Crecy with a query yesterday and received the following reply at around lunchtime today:

'Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately LNER Passenger Trains Volume 2 has been pushed back until 2024 now and we do not have an exact publication date. This delay is due to the fact that the author is taking longer to complete the book than we anticipated. I understand that the delay is frustrating, it is for us too.

'I apologise that I do not have better news but please do feel free to contact us whenever you need information.'

That was probably the trigger for Crecy to update the webpage.

It's déjà vu all over again...💩

Edited by Pint of Adnams
Remove white space.
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, should this title ever come out we will be stocking it of course. in the meantime, we do have material to help those modelling the goods side of things.

https://strathwood.co.uk/products/the-l-ner-delivers-the-goods-volume-1-general-considerations?_pos=2&_psq=The L&_ss=e&_v=1.0

CLLNERGDS1.jpg?v=1658854344

Also, with this new one due into stock very soon.

https://strathwood.co.uk/products/the-l-ner-delivers-the-goods-volume-two-the-scottish-and-north-eastern-areas

LMLNER1.jpg?v=1697115594

Hopefully helpful.

Kevin

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Strathwood said:

Hmmm, should this title ever come out we will be stocking it of course. in the meantime, we do have material to help those modelling the goods side of things.

https://strathwood.co.uk/products/the-l-ner-delivers-the-goods-volume-1-general-considerations?_pos=2&_psq=The L&_ss=e&_v=1.0

https://strathwood.co.uk/products/the-l-ner-delivers-the-goods-volume-two-the-scottish-and-north-eastern-areas

LMLNER1.jpg?v=1697115594

Hopefully helpful.

Kevin

Keenly anticipating volume 3 covering the Southern Area... will that appear before Banks'?

• Like 1

I’ve sadly come to the conclusion the Second Coming itself is now likely to appear ‘before Banks’ … and I still wonder what has become of co-author Carter, who - assuming he is still ‘with us’, to be fair - has managed to keep a profile so low as to be submarine. 

On 07/10/2023 at 13:39, Willie Whizz said:

One would have to hope though that any Vol. 1 reprint would contain - as a very minimum - the corrections already acknowledged as required on the Banks website. I gather such things are not always legally or practically within an author’s own control, so anyone who decides to lobby the publisher should stress that. 

I also put the question of reprinting volume 1 (with or without corrections) to Crecy, the response received today being that 'We have no immediate plans to re-print LNER Volume 1. If this ever were to change, we would notify you via either our social media or our newsletter.'

On 12/10/2023 at 14:15, Strathwood said:

LMLNER1.jpg?v=1697115594

Hopefully helpful.

Kevin

In the first volume Peter Tatlow provides a masterclass in the provision of accurate, clear, and concise information fully describing the organisation, methods, and context by which the LNER delivers the goods. It does more than is suggested by the title and Peter truly does 'deliver the goods'.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had an email today from 'The Hive' with whom I have Volume 2 on pre-order.  They are now saying publication is expected 1st January, though how accurate that may be remains to be seen.

I'd say I live in Hope ... but that's a small town in Derbyshire, and I don't.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

I've spoken with Crecy this morning, in response to my request to cancel the order and a refund. I'm told that the author has not even delivered his manuscript to Crecy yet, so 1st January 2024 is clearly not going to happen.

Thanks for relaying the news.  I’m increasingly feeling that the author(s?) may have taken some of the criticisms of the first volume far too much to heart and are now attempting the impossible task of not submitting a MS until they’ve 100% criticism-proofed it. Which they’ll never achieve - so we get paralysis by analysis.

Just publish what you’ve got. Publish it online if you’re worried about being able to make corrections.

In the meantime, I’m off to Hive.Co.Uk to cancel my order & get a refund. I’ll buy the latest Tatlow book on LNER goods traffic working instead.

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Correcting autocorrect
  • Agree 1