Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dobris In HO - (pronounced Dobzhreesh) - Milton Keynes show in June2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neils WRX said:

Did you manage to source a sound file for the 714?

Not put a chip in mine yet.

Thanks,

Neil

No not yet. I temporarily fitted a non sound next 18 decoder ot test it all worked but do need to decide if I just put a class 742 sound in it for now.

• Like 2

Daft question how did you fit the speaker as there doesn’t seem to be hole through the chassis from the “fuel tank”. There looks like there should be a way through but there isn’t.

Have purchased a ESU chip and loaded a Goggle sound file to it as they sound dull as well….

Not keen on a full dismantle and drilling through the chassis though just to get the speaker in.

It was hard enough getting the fuel tank out….

Did you try and get the marker and tail lights working as well? Seems like MTB are moving from ready built locomotives to DIY ones…

Thanks

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Daft question how did you fit the speaker as there doesn’t seem to be hole through the chassis from the “fuel tank”. There looks like there should be a way through but there isn’t.

Have purchased a ESU chip and loaded a Goggle sound file to it as they sound dull as well….

Not keen on a full dismantle and drilling through the chassis though just to get the speaker in.

It was hard enough getting the fuel tank out….

Did you try and get the marker and tail lights working as well? Seems like MTB are moving from ready built locomotives to DIY ones…

Thanks

Neil

I have only removed the fuel tank moulding but not tried to fit a speaker yet till I get a sound decoder. I found that I had to break one of the reservoir moulding off the chassis  to be able to remove the fuel tank.

Again I have yet to try and fit the little boards to the main baord and marker lights. Oddly there isnt anything on the instructions how to fit them, so when the time comes I will install a non sound decoder and test them just incase it damages the decoder.

Its a shame that MTB have moved away from everything being installed including the speaker to now not even providing the full instructions. I did email MTB but never got a reply.

I am waiting confirmation or otherwise on the two shows that we have for the layout this year before buying the sound decoder as have plenty to do on other layouts that have confirmed shows.

Edited by roundhouse

4 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Its a shame that MTB have moved away from everything being installed including the speaker to now not even providing the full instructions. I did email MTB but never got a reply.

If you need any help with translation, remember that I'm married to a Slovak, and you're geographically around the corner.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AlanRogers said:

If you need any help with translation, remember that I'm married to a Slovak, and you're geographically around the corner.

Thanks for the offer.

My issue with this model is I have no idea how to connect the marker/tail lights, as the connectors are on a ribbon and I’m scared to solder them incase I melt the ribbon. It’s something I’ve never done before.

The other issue is fitting the speaker in the fuel tank without drilling a hole through the chassis into where the motor sits and then drilling the base of the fuel tank to let the sound out.

I had a look at the lights this evening and one of the “ribbons” was caught under the running plate so this had to be prised off and threaded through the correct hole:

I’m falling out of love with this model despite needing a 714 for my fleet.

Tempted to give up on sound and just put a normal chip in it and accept its shortcomings.

I used to really like MTB and have loads of their models both locos and DMU’s but will think twice before investing again.

Neil

The continuing saga of my 714. Sorry for clogging up your thread.

Been asking questions elsewhere and found this very useful how to on YouTube.

So the answer is you do have to drill a hole in the chassis and take the circuit board off and then resolder it.

Thanks,

Neil

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Neil

Thanks for finding that video. Its very useful. Keep on posting on here as all very relevant for Dobris particularly this loco.

I didnt see where he got the sound from and I doubt that I will fit cab lights. Really hleps with the marker lights although I think that I wouild clamp the ribbons to the little boards then solder as he must have asbestos fingers. Would then negate having to unsolder the main board although that is simple to do. Looks like some models came fitted with the marker light housings and some in complete kit form that is odd.

Regards

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

Howdy!

It's been a while I was here, been logged in only couple of weeks back thought I would reply but didnt' get around to it.

Unfortunately yes, the only way activate the tail lights at present is to solder the ribbons to the PCB, or ask a friend to solder on miniature connectors for you.

Not sure what was manufacturers motivation to do this, whether saving pennies, technological difficulties, combination of both or something else.

Either way, here's what's in the video but in text 

https://www-ambmodely-cz.translate.goog/instalace-osvetleni-u-modelu-714-020-5-cd-v-h0-od-mtb-model/t-157?_x_tr_sl=cs&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

and some discussion on Czech forums in regards to this

https://diskuze-modely-biz.translate.goog/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14098&_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=cs&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

The sound is from Jacek-modely. I don't think at present anyone else makes suitable sound. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, mastanec said:

Howdy!

It's been a while I was here, been logged in only couple of weeks back thought I would reply but didnt' get around to it.

Unfortunately yes, the only way activate the tail lights at present is to solder the ribbons to the PCB, or ask a friend to solder on miniature connectors for you.

Not sure what was manufacturers motivation to do this, whether saving pennies, technological difficulties, combination of both or something else.

https://www-ambmodely-cz.translate.goog/instalace-osvetleni-u-modelu-714-020-5-cd-v-h0-od-mtb-model/t-157?_x_tr_sl=cs&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

https://diskuze-modely-biz.translate.goog/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14098&_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=cs&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

The sound is from Jacek-modely. I don't think at present anyone else makes suitable sound. 

A really interesting thread. I have fitted a ESU sound decoder and it does rub against the flywheel as well so I unscrewed the plate, to give an extra 1mm of clearance. Which means there is a slight gap between body shell and running plate. However when I come back it it I’ll change the decoder.

Thanks,

Neil

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, mastanec said:

Howdy!

I hope you are keeping well.

Thankyou for the information. I will be fine soldering the ribbons as have replaced nano LED's on circuit boards before.

I will wait another month or so before ordering a sound decoder as there is no rush. By then hopefully there will be a sound file on the Zimo website.

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

I hope you are keeping well.

Thankyou for the information. I will be fine soldering the ribbons as have replaced nano LED's on circuit boards before.

I will wait another month or so before ordering a sound decoder as there is no rush. By then hopefully there will be a sound file on the Zimo website.

Guess I need a very fine soldering iron to do this job?

I hate soldering wires onto Decoders but the ribbon looks very fragile to a thick tip soldering iron…..

Thanks,

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick update.

Just had confirmation that Doris Dobris is going to the Bristol show at Thornbury at he end of April.

I will have to make sure that my class 714 has a sound decoder by then.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Just a quick update.

Just had confirmation that Doris is going to the Bristol show at Thornbury at he end of April.

I will have to make sure that my class 714 has a sound decoder by then.

Doris?  Who the **** is Doris? 😉
You need to fix that autoincorrect on your phone. 🤣

• Funny 2

• roundhouse changed the title to Dobris In HO - (pronounced Dobzhreesh) - next show is Bristol at Thornbury Leisure Centre
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have finally got the sound decoder with the correct sound file fitted this morning including soldering the marker light connections to the small circuit boards.

Youchoos were very quick in contacting Petr to get the file as I only contacted Youchoos on Friday. It was ready for payment on Monday morning despite them being at a show over the weekend.

I have installed a sigarcibe in the housing in the fuel tank with a minimal baffle box, bedded it in Blutak and drilled holes in thr plastic fuel tank moulding. It's loud do will need to lower the volume before the layout heads to Bristol show at Thornbury next weekend.

Looking forward to recreating the first train that we rode to Dobris consisting of one of these locos hauling a number of four wheel trailers.

20230420_092617.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This morning I commenced construction of one of two kits that I was very kindly given whilst at the Crewe NMRA Convention last year.

There is no diagram but just written instructions in Czech, so it was a bit of guess work to assemble. I did use the manufacturers website for photos of completed models which really helped. They are quite old kits so do require quite a bit of filing and filling but it's come out fairly well with just a small number of parts left over.

Once all the adhesive has set it will get a dust down before priming.

Now to make a start on the second kit.

EDIT

On opening the second kit I found the assembly diagrams for this kit. I hadn't realised that this boxes had been opened. Luckily I had assembled it correctly and the left over parts are now being added.

20230422_083504.jpg

20230423_153221.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

This morning I fabricated the door mirrors as the ones in the kit were too fragile and soon fell off. They were also incorrect. Both vehicles now have mirrors and one windscreen wipers. The blue one will get them this afternoon.

I decided to add flashing lights to the level crossing this morning, only to find out that I had already done so. That was a bonus and the layout is now loaded into the car.

An early start tomorrow for Thornbury. We are in the far hall.

20230427_100921.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Today is day three of the Bristol show.

The layout has performed extremely well so far.

The two trucks are now fixed onto the layout.

20230429_090007.jpg.f0ca68b74f72bd7b02a22b5806fa3a34.jpg

20230429_090024.jpg.a97c841cae5102a206e5a7950fe1847b.jpg

We also had one of our teams brother bring his DRS train and KUA we with him all the way from Cornwall. He was after some DCC help so after fitting a decoder to his locos and setting the addresses they had a test run all the way to Dobris.

20230428_170318.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another good day at the Bristol show.

I can now finally recreate our first trip to Dobris with the 4 wheel trailer cars and the class 714. 4 trailers were on our train to the station but one was dropped into a siding with us riding in the remaining 3 back to Prague.

20230430_113504.jpg

20230430_113442.jpg

• Like 7