double the price

oldknotty

I was going to get a subscription to BRM until i saw the cost ?? Why is it almost double of any of the the others that i subscribe to ?? I know that it costs more to the USA but double almost come on guys ???

Martin

It might be useful if you quoted the titles magazines your are referring to and the subscription rates for both in hard copy and digital formats, in or order to give some context to your statement!

XF

I did not want to mention any names in a public statement that may be taken the wrong way ,The two other magazines cost me around 50+ quid a year BRM is 99 quid a year .The other two are two of the more popular magazines available to us here in the US .Hope that helps ???

Is BRM twice as good as the others?

Edit, if you subscribe to the electronic version it will surely be the same regardless of where you live will it not?

No !!!! and I prefer the paper version :-)

Edit, if you subscribe to the electronic version it will surely be the same regardless of where you live will it not?

Not necessarily so, there may be currency charges/restrictions.

We need to know if this is comparing like with like. Comparing an electronic mag with a paper one is not justified.

A US published magazine may have higher distribution than a UK one so there may be economies of scale.

Any comparison on content is very subjective - For example I think Hornby Mag is trash in comparison to Railway Modeller - others may well have the opposite opinion.

Not necessarily so, there may be currency charges/restrictions.

We need to know if this is comparing like with like. Comparing an electronic mag with a paper one is not justified.

A US published magazine may have higher distribution than a UK one so there may be economies of scale.

Any comparison on content is very subjective - For example I think Hornby Mag is trash in comparison to Railway Modeller - others may well have the opposite opinion.

Surely you don't really think the Hornby magazine is trash do you Kenton ?

Although you say it in comparison with the Railway Modeller, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest) how do you rate those two magazines individually ?

My personal view is that BRM has never really done it for me, and neither BRM, HM nor RM have given me really objective critique of new products. But they still have interesting content, in their own ways.

I think "trash" is a very negative word to use personally.

No interest really, I wrote to BRM a couple of times asking about a subscription ,never did get an answer.

David

A Brit in the USA

Perhaps they don't see you as the target audience of their advertisers. Even so, the common courtesy of a reply to your letters or email would have been expected.

Surely you don't really think the Hornby magazine is trash do you Kenton ?

Although you say it in comparison with the Railway Modeller, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest) how do you rate those two magazines individually ?

My personal view is that BRM has never really done it for me, and neither BRM, HM nor RM have given me really objective critique of new products. But they still have interesting content, in their own ways.

I think "trash" is a very negative word to use personally.

I really don't like scores out of 10 as a measure of anything. I believe this method to generally be a poor statistic. Very few people use the full range of 1-10 often giving either a bland 6,7,8 or a 8,9,10 often with the intention that it cannot be that bad or some fear of offence.

But, I don't have such misguided sensitivities. Hornby mag would get a 0 out of 10, BRM a 5 out of 10, RM 8 out of 10 and MRJ 9 out of 10.

Of course it is all very subjective. But is my subjectivity. I simply do not like the house style of the HM, BRM has good and bad points but not enough to make me want to buy every issue, RM I have subscribed to on and off since the 60's and continues to gradually improve with a cover everything approach that the others only imitate. MRJ I have enjoyed since issue 0. Though even MRJ is not perfect (so no 10) and tends to disappoint quite often but it also contains surprises that make it worth investing in shelve space, it is inspiring. Nearly always, all the magazines are all a bit of a let down in the review areas, where they seem to approach a review with the "best thing since the last time" or "I want to keep my job as reviewer" so must score everything as 8/9 out of 10.

My definition of trash is anything I find not worth reading - that include The Guardian, Hello magazine and Hornby Magazine. I don't particularly want it to improve - I think that we have one (or more) too many magazines.

But that is just my opinion - I accept that others may have completely opposite opinions - which is why the HM sells and possibly why Hello magazine sells as well, and why there are such a breed as Guardian readers.

• Administrators

I did not want to mention any names in a public statement that may be taken the wrong way ,The two other magazines cost me around 50+ quid a year BRM is 99 quid a year .The other two are two of the more popular magazines available to us here in the US .Hope that helps ???

Hi oldknotty,

Apologies for the delay in replying. I'm trying to get an accurate breakdown of costs so I can give you a definitive answer. This 'should-be-simple-task', isn't proving so simple but I am on the case. Now the May issue deadlines are out of the way, I'm doing everything in my power to get a definite answer.

Once I get this cost breakdown I can then look at why BRM is priced at £99 and decide what future action to take.

I do have a Planning Meeting on Thursday whereby we discuss future plans for the magazine and I will be bringing this subject up. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi all,

Hornby magazine certainly isn't "trash"

I think it's a good magazine
As is BRM - which has improved hugely in recent months...

Going back just A few years, we had rather less choice
the 2 most popular being RM or MRJ

These days I think we are fortunate,

and have a much larger range of high quality mags

Perhaps we have never had it so good?

Going back to the OP - I hope you can sort out your pricing issues

Marc

I respectfully remind members that we welcome constructive discussion both positive and negative about any model railway related product / service and whilst such is often personal opinion it should remain with the spirit of Forum rule 2 namely  

2. Please do not post unsubstantiated or inaccurate criticism of any individual or organisation. Any criticism should be presented in the same manner as would be appropriate for a face to face conversation.

Hi oldknotty,

Apologies for the delay in replying. I'm trying to get an accurate breakdown of costs so I can give you a definitive answer. This 'should-be-simple-task', isn't proving so simple but I am on the case. Now the May issue deadlines are out of the way, I'm doing everything in my power to get a definite answer.

Once I get this cost breakdown I can then look at why BRM is priced at £99 and decide what future action to take.

I do have a Planning Meeting on Thursday whereby we discuss future plans for the magazine and I will be bringing this subject up. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,

Steve

Thank you for checking into it Steve i really enjoy the magazine when i can get it but the price is a killer for me seeing as how i am retired on fixed income these days :-0 I await your input :-)

martin

I respectfully remind members that we welcome constructive discussion both positive and negative about any model railway related product / service and whilst such is often personal opinion it should remain with the spirit of Forum rule 2 namely 

2. Please do not post unsubstantiated or inaccurate criticism of any individual or organisation. Any criticism should be presented in the same manner as would be appropriate for a face to face conversation.

No problem then Mod4. My criticism was substantiated and accurate as it was entirely a personal perspective. I must have missed the bit in the rules that denied members such perspectives and firmly held opinions. The trouble is with opinions held muted and the general nod nod in agreement with everything, nothing is ever examined to improve matters.

There is nothing wrong with being critical (there is yet another survey on this site) asking for scores out of 10 and suggestions for improvement -but I'm excluded from that - As I have said views on magazines are just like those on newspapers and everyone has a different opinion - and is entitled to that opinion no matter how strongly held and for what ever reason. The editors of such should welcome both the negative and the positive, but should see more value in the negative as this shows areas for improvement rather than a pat on the back for the areas in which they are already pleasing the 8/10 majority.

No problem then Mod4. My criticism was substantiated and accurate as it was entirely a personal perspective. I must have missed the bit in the rules that denied members such perspectives and firmly held opinions. The trouble is with opinions held muted and the general nod nod in agreement with everything, nothing is ever examined to improve matters.

There is nothing wrong with being critical (there is yet another survey on this site) asking for scores out of 10 and suggestions for improvement -but I'm excluded from that - As I have said views on magazines are just like those on newspapers and everyone has a different opinion - and is entitled to that opinion no matter how strongly held and for what ever reason.

In that case then you are an arse Kenton!

In that case then you are an arse Kenton!

Now there's a use for the the Hornby Mag I hadn't thought of. But I suspect the absorbency of the paper used might not be up to the job either.

To be fair though Kenton,there is a big difference between offering objective criticism, even if it can be construed as negative, and telling someone their product is trash. In my book trash is the word our transatlantic friends use for rubbish. So when you describe the Hornby Magazine as rubbish, that is very derisory in my opinion, and is not really warranted on a model railway forum. It is not for me to say how Warner's want their forum to be run, but allowing someone public air to describe a competitor's product as "rubbish" is not really acceptable in my view.

To be fair though Kenton,there is a big difference between offering objective criticism, even if it can be construed as negative, and telling someone their product is trash. In my book trash is the word our transatlantic friends use for rubbish. So when you describe the Hornby Magazine as rubbish, that is very derisory in my opinion, and is not really warranted on a model railway forum. It is not for me to say how Warner's want their forum to be run, but allowing someone public air to describe a competitor's product as "rubbish" is not really acceptable in my view.

[/quot

I was my understanding that the Hornby magazine was aimed primarily at the beginners market and not at the level of the MRJ guys !! That being the case it does the job very well in my opinion as does the intermediate Model rail mag , one for each level of proficiency right ??

Archived