Decorated samples of the ''Duke of Gloucester''

Multiple identity account 2

To be honest, I cannot recall what all the differences are, tender details are certainly one. I would have done the research and back dated the original model, but as Hornby are doing the work for me........

• RMweb Premium

So many models, so little funds....

Hattons tell me that they expect the DoG in this week!

I too was under the impression that the DoG model was expected by Hattons  "on or after the 16th December", but some doubt about that prospect was raised by Chris Leigh's ( Dibber 25) post yesterday, in the 'Model Rail Winter Issue' thread, stating the Sentinel shunter and 71000 models had encountered further delays. Does anyone have any more precise information, especially regarding the Duke, please? 

Regards,

John

• RMweb Gold

It's been said before, but worthwhile repeating again:

DoG has had three different tenders in it's time

Built with a BR1E, affectively the same as a BR1B/C but without the coal partition

Received a unique BR1J in 1957. This had extended raves at the rear and a coal pusher

In preservation it has had the same tender, but this has been modified over the years. It started as a BR1C (I think!) and initially had it's coal partition removed and a pusher fitted making it more of a BR1D but now has had the water tank enlarged so has a built up section on the rear platform and the side raves extended to look more like the BR1J and cover the raised water tank. It has also been fitted with an extra ladder to the rear. We have not yet seen what Hornby have modelled for the imminent release, I hope it is an accurate "current as preserved".

I also hope they don't make the mistake of lobbing a BR1B tender body on as this will not do for either as built or "1960s" condition ....Those not wanting to wait for the 2014 release will find that Chris at Golden Arrow does a resin body for the BR1J that fits the Hornby tender chassis. As long as you pitch your model when AWS etc was fitted then a tender swap should be all that is needed to all but the keenest rivet counter :)

I too was under the impression that the DoG model was expected by Hattons  "on or after the 16th December", but some doubt about that prospect was raised by Chris Leigh's ( Dibber 25) post yesterday, in the 'Model Rail Winter Issue' thread, stating the Sentinel shunter and 71000 models had encountered further delays. Does anyone have any more precise information, especially regarding the Duke, please? 

Regards,

John

Hattons are expecting it any time. They told me yesterday though that there is no update from Hornby on its whereabouts. He did say though that Christmas is looking doubtful. The great gathering locos have now appeared in stock so I guess the Duke wasn't on that delivery.

Regards,

John

Not precise information, but to clarify my earlier comment I spoke to Hattons by phone last Friday.  They also told me that  they weren't too hopeful of getting the GG collection until the New Year (and of course that is now in).

Not precise information, but to clarify my earlier comment I spoke to Hattons by phone last Friday.  They also told me that  they weren't too hopeful of getting the GG collection until the New Year (and of course that is now in).

Latest from Hornby is that they have a part order in stock at Margate and are allocating them so that dealers will only receive a part order prior to Christmas, with the balance in the New Year.

Latest from Hornby is that they have a part order in stock at Margate and are allocating them so that dealers will only receive a part order prior to Christmas, with the balance in the New Year.

Was told by Rails yesterday def not before Christmas, Hattons still saying by the end of the week! Come on, Santa's waiting!! :)

Was told by Rails yesterday def not before Christmas, Hattons still saying by the end of the week! Come on, Santa's waiting!! :)

I would think Hornby would want to dispatch them to the dealers before Christmas (as Hornby's financial year ends 31/12 they would have to count them as stock if not dispatched and invoiced). However if they arrive today or Monday at the dealers they are not going to get them wrapped and posted in time for Christmas, realistically.

Hello Everyone,

Just picked up my high spec model that I had on order from the DoG's Preservation group.

I have yet to run it, but first impressions is it looks the part.

Yes it may feature some elements of 'Design Clever' however in some areas this is not an issue (to me) such as the pipework around the cab especially next to my Britannia. Unfortunately the smokebox dart is moulded but this is less noticeable due to the deflectors anyway. The tender handrails are also moulded on, (deflector handrails are separate).The paint is similar to the Brit's but not as shiny and if anything the lining is a little brighter too. The only thing livery wise to on mine that may be a minor issue is it looks like the copper  paint has run slightly to the surrounding bodywork, but this isn't too noticeable and could be hidden with weathering.

My only issue with it is the 'etched' plates supplied, whilst they are metal it appears that the writing is painted on rather than etched in as their is no relief that I can see or feel to it.

However I would like to thank Hornby for bringing this model out in the first place as to me it looks impressive (and hopefully runs just as well).

Photo time!

post-13109-0-28313100-1387813087_thumb.jpg

Smokebox

post-13109-0-39109800-1387813430_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-46612500-1387813404_thumb.jpg

Normal and 'Etched' plates

post-13109-0-69742500-1387813417_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-10399000-1387813443_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-91369700-1387813455_thumb.jpg

With the Brit

post-13109-0-98035800-1387813365_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-70908800-1387813377_thumb.jpg

And the seperate parts,

post-13109-0-47987000-1387813391_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

Got a chance to give it some running in, nice and smooth and seems to be just as capable as the Britannia.

I had 9 coaches including one of Hornby's observation cars and it never slipped even when hauling the coaches around two sets of curves.

Unfortunately however the front bogie appears to catch the end of the cylinders which caused the front axle to stop on some parts of 2nd and 3rd radius curves and on 1 curve caused it to derail. May just be our track but something to look out for.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Update: Derailment found to be caused by track issues, still fouling cylinders though.

• RMweb Premium

Had the e-mail from Hattons to say mine has been picked from their early allocation and, looking at the invoice, it looks as though they're sending it via courier rather than royal mail, in an effort to get it to me tomorrow.

Don't know if that will work out, but full marks to Hattons for at least trying to get my model to me in time for Christmas.

Just one thing that perhaps Wild Boar Fell could check: Someone speculated early in this thread that there were no return cranks on the model, are you (or anyone else) able to clarify that situation please?

Kind regards and best wishes for a happy Christmas,

John  

Edit for spelling error and to add:-

Package from Hattons arrived 11.00am 24th, straight under the tree unopened. Top marks to Hattons and the courier.

• RMweb Premium

The full size DoG doesn't have return cranks - it has a crank that drives a 90 degree turn gearbox that drives the driveshaft to the poppet vale gear!  So the 'crank' is aligned to the centre of the driving wheel, no 'wobble' like on walschaerts valve gear drive.

• RMweb Premium

The full size DoG doesn't have return cranks - it has a crank that drives a 90 degree turn gearbox that drives the driveshaft to the poppet vale gear!  So the 'crank' is aligned to the centre of the driving wheel, no 'wobble' like on walschaerts valve gear drive.

Thanks for putting me right on that New Haven Neil, and to Agr07 for posting the photo which confirms its presence on the model, thats a relief.

Many thanks,

John

Yup, had a good day out visiting family, and get home to find two emails from Liverpool saying my order has been picked, and the second saying it is being sent by courier and should be here tomorrow! Hopefully it'll be before I go to the in-laws for Christmas dinner, or that it gets left next-door if I'm out!

Thanks for the preview photos and initial running reports too!

Merry Christmas one and all!

Cheers

J

Hattons should have an extra one as last week I changed my order to the 1960 version for delivery 'some time in 2014'.

I did that too, but now am wondering about a RR version since I am told (on the 'Where are the Hornby Models?) thread that it has glazing ... can someone say what the differences are between various versions, as it is not very clear from ads. Premium versions have etched plates and picked-out highlights on paintwork, including yellow axle boxes, but what else?  Yet the 1960 version for 2014 is listed as 'glazed cab' as if the earlier versions didn't have this... 

Archived