Decorated samples of the ''Duke of Gloucester''

Multiple identity account 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah, another who can't cope with reality. Don't worry I have no intention of ever posting on here again. I shall also be advising Warner's advertising manager that my business will be withdrawing it's advertising from their publications.

A good decision.I'm sure Warner's are quaking in their shoes.Yes,I do live in the real world.

• RMweb Gold

Och come on guys. No need for that. Everyone's views are valid. And it is the season of goodwill. How about limiting ourselves to a discussion on the model?

Spot on.  The situation with this, or any other model, is remarkably simple - firstly it either fits your modeliing scenario or it doesn't, secondly you might have a particular interest in this engine which cause you to buy it or you might not, and finally you might just want to buy it for the sake of owning one or you might not.  If you fall into any of those negative categoeries you won't even be thinking of buying it, if you're in any of the positive categories and you buy it but don't like it you can simply send it/take it back to where you bought it.

It was launched as a Railroad model and alternatively as 'a basic Railroad model plus twiddly bits' so it is unlikely to be in the same category as the latest version of the 'Brit' and comparison is probably pointless on that basis alone.  Have Hornby 'caught' the prototype - difficult to say because the way it is (unavoidably) moulded makes comparison difficult as those solid handrails part way up the sloped area can fool the eye, only way to get a definitive answer is to use a tape measure etc.

Is it fair to the manufacturer to criticise build quality - absolutely, if there really are assembly errors.  But grossly unfair if it is a design feature which results in something unexpected (such as the end of the handrail fixings on the inside of the smoke deflectors - well folk did ask for separate handrails didn't they!).  And there is a simple answer if you don't like it - don't buy it, end of story.

And overall I think we are all seeing the reality of the situation where Hornby has perforce had to move away from long established model railway manufacturers to concerns which appear to be less experienced in the field plus they are obviously (and acknowledge they are) constraining development of models to a budget which means savings in both design and manufacture.  Whether the results represent value for money is very much an individual matter of perception and we will all offer different answers to the same question although we do see some idiot ideas on the subject from those who seem wedded to 1980s price levels (or lower).

As far as manufacturers' opinions go of what is or isn't posted on here and elsewhere on the internet (other model railway sites are available) I am quite sure their senior folk are adult minded, sufficiently sensible, and hopefully sufficiently objective to separate the wheat from the chaff and to take onboard objective criticism as well as praise and suggestions.  Some aspects of Hornby's 2014 range suggests to me that they have reacted positively to things which have been said on here (and no doubt elsewhere on the 'net and in magazine reviews etc) and it is very clear that they appear to have taken note of the wishlist poll RMweb is very actively involved with.  So they certainly seem to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Edit to correct trypos

For me this model looks good enough, and id happily correct what needs doing, after all, if all models were perfect, the nthered be no customisation into something that's a little different from the off the shelf product

NL

While I'm not over-keen to add details or rectify faults, the DoG still looks like good value to be at 60 or 90 quid compared to 120-odd for a Brit (box-shifter prices)

and I shall certainly photograph mine, when I receive it, more sympathetically than most have managed ..  a deft brush stroke here, a tweak there, and hey presto, moulded details become like separate parts.  With naked eye it's hard to pick many thing anyway, the digital camera gives a whole different view of things.

And I have taken the qc issues on as part of the nature of producing short run, high-skilled-labour-input things in today's world, and expect Hornby to get on top of it if they can survive the revenue shortfalls of the last year or so.

Ah, another who can't cope with reality. Don't worry I have no intention of ever posting on here again. I shall also be advising Warner's advertising manager that my business will be withdrawing it's advertising from their publications.

What was the name of his business? Out of interest.

Stephen

While I'm not over-keen to add details or rectify faults, the DoG still looks like good value to be at 60 or 90 quid compared to 120-odd for a Brit (box-shifter prices)

and I shall certainly photograph mine, when I receive it, more sympathetically than most have managed ..  a deft brush stroke here, a tweak there, and hey presto, moulded details become like separate parts.  With naked eye it's hard to pick many thing anyway, the digital camera gives a whole different view of things.

And I have taken the qc issues on as part of the nature of producing short run, high-skilled-labour-input things in today's world, and expect Hornby to get on top of it if they can survive the revenue shortfalls of the last year or so.

Yes it is a shame that there are "faults/inaccuracies" but producing a model and scaled down version is never going to be easy, no matter what technology there is, and models recently have been produced to such a high standard theres always bound to be criticism over something that is marginally out or scaled  (not saying if there are any errors that they are only "marginal" of course) but anyways, the model looks good to me, probably the only thing that sort of bugs me is the front pony truck looks a bit far back?

NL

Quite odd about the front bogie position looking not-quite right. Sometimes things look that way to me with Britannias too, but probably part of it is the 00 gauge effect, being narrow, and the 3/4 view might bring the bogie back a bit, not to mention the coarse wheel-width and flanges.

Can photo-edit all that away too!

• RMweb Gold

What was his business out of interest?

Stephen

Latterly....being thoroughly unpleasant to anyone he disagreed with.If he displays the same lack of interpersonal skills he demonstrated on this forum in this 'business' of his then one to avoid,I think.In his ,hopefully,final postings,he certainly attempted to stir trouble by broadcasting what should have,if true,remained in his confidence.

Hows the running quality of 71000 been now a few of you have had it a few days?

Not bad, tweaked the cv's on the Bachmann 553 decoder to 54 at 20, and 55 at 5. Still has a noticeable buzz when running. Lack of any compensation means it tends to 'crash' through points at speed, and 'rock' over the slightest change in track level. That said, despite only having pick up on three axles, it has yet to stall on me.

I guess I was lucky not to have any of the faults noted previously. For me this was still a snip at £70, particularly when you are expected to pay £80 for the Hornby Large Prairie, and 2nd hand Hornby Pacific's are going for £140+ from a stock-starved Liverpool retailer.

N

Hows the running quality of 71000 been now a few of you have had it a few days?

Ran mine for a couple of hours on Fri. Runs fine on straight track & over points. Drastically slows down on curves though. Nothing on my layout is less than 2nd radius & widest is over 4th. I have no problems running anything else. Put it on a rolling road today for over an hour in each direction to see if it "loosened" it up but alas no. I've also tried 3 different branded decoders which don't really make any difference. Have no problems with it derailing it just slows right down on bends and then speeds up when off them. I've spoken to Hornby who said to send it in, can't really think of anything else to try. I've got the Special Edition one.

Ran my Brit around & was fine followed by an 08 & both ran fine so think I've ruled out "track" or "power" problems. :(

post-8977-0-09378800-1388514446_thumb.jpg

I am still waiting for mine to arrive to check for myself but I gather there is very little lateral movement in the drive wheels and that the coupling rods connecting the three drive wheels on each side is a single piece, unlike previous X-6-X locos from Hornby. This will create lots of friction between the driving wheels and the track on the bends, hence the slowing down. By the sounds of it I shall have to find spare britannia rods if I want my DoG to negotiate my layout.

Thanks for your replies. I checked the back to backs first & they were well out especially on the leading wheels, it wouldn't even stay on the track at first! I have no problem with it staying on the track now.

I've had a check over the contact wipers this morning & they seem ok too. I've put the loco back together & it's still the same so she's now back in the box & going on a tour back to Margate. :(

... We always had unjointed coupling rods at one time so I cannot see this being a factor.

But, but, that was on RTR locos with typically only two flanged driven wheelsets, so effectively only four coupled on the rails. I may be wrong on this, but as far as I can recall every all flanged RTR six or more coupled type of any wheelbase length in OO has had jointed rods. (The exceptions would be the small rod coupled diesels like the class 03/04.) In my experience, on conversion of these old flangeless centre driver chassis to all flanged with Romfords, a new set of coupling rods to replace the original one piece was necessary to get them around curves.

But, but, that was on RTR locos with typically only two flanged driven wheelsets, so effectively only four coupled on the rails. I may be wrong on this, but as far as I can recall every all flanged RTR six or more coupled type of any wheelbase length in OO has had jointed rods. (The exceptions would be the small rod coupled diesels like the class 03/04.) In my experience, on conversion of these old flangeless centre driver chassis to all flanged with Romfords, a new set of coupling rods to replace the original one piece was necessary to get them around curves.

Ah so. I should have made myself clearer. I was talking RTR chassis fitted with Romfords. 

Just get yourself a pair of spare rods for the current generation "Britannia" - they are jointed. Both the BR 7MT and 8P shared the same driving wheelbase, plus a number of other common parts, so do take a leaf out of the BR Standard book.

Mine seems to have developed an annoying squeak when going forwards. Doesn't do it in reverse and I've oiled everything I can think off. Starting to annoy me now. Going to have to attack it and whip the keeper plate off and see if I can see anything.

Quite possibly someone on the design clever team reasoned that IN THEORY with square axleboxes, one-piece coupling rods with fairly generous drillings for attachment to wheels , and a fair degree of slop in production tolerances, it would all work fine, look good, and cost 10% less... 

Archived