Ruston & Hornsby 165DE

A few photo`s of the Kingdom of Fife Railway Preservation Society`s Ruston & Hornsby 165 DE

post-11150-0-53649900-1365029571_thumb.jpg

the loco originated from RNAD Crombie ( Royal Navy Arnaments Depot ) and was transferred to Rosyth Dockyard, kindly donated to the society by Babcock, it is unusual as it is both flameproof & explosionproof ( longer than most R & H 165`s )

The exhaust passed through a water tank and the exhaust stack was filled with wire wool - to prevent any sparks, a visitor on our open day informed us that the holes in the buffers were for mounting wooden discs - to prevent any posibility of sparks when shunting - something we were unaware of.

post-11150-0-64781400-1365030613_thumb.jpg

The engine is now back in full running order, the air tanks had been removed for inpection by the insurance company, and are now re-fitted the front cover has still to be bolted back down, Painting of the loco is still work in progress.

a visitor on our open day informed us that the holes in the buffers were for mounting wooden discs - to prevent any posibility of sparks when shunting - something we were unaware of.

Those holes are in the buffers on just about every standard gauge Ruston so they weren't made especially for that purpose. They're simply where the larger buffer heads bolt through.

Do you think they really did use them to mount wooden discs? I'd have thought there was more chance of the wheels against the rails, or the couplings making sparks than the buffers. After all, the buffer heads usually have a coating of grease that would prevent sparks and, if this was deemed a spark risk, did they place wood between each and every wagon?

Some loco buffers did have a thick 'composite woven fibre' looking face pad bolted on - think I've seen them on an ex BP refinery Hudswell Clarke residing in a yard not far away.  I may be able to get a photo soon.

Normally required Paul where pressurised vessels are concerned....

On preserved diesel locomotives which are not to be certified for mainline running it is in fact an issue of contention.

NOT to say that is isn't good practice of course! :no:

See here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/128/made 

PART I PRESSURE SYSTEMS EXCEPTED FROM ALL REGULATIONS

"pressure system which forms part of any braking, control or suspension system of a wheeled, tracked or rail mounted vehicle. "

Paul A. 

Having owned a shunter or two and a ex mainline loco in the past all I can say its down to the railway and what their insurance company wants. A example given to me was, if a dual brake 03 was parked in a platform full of enthusiasts at a diesel event and a tank went bang, how long would everbody be in court for afterwards for injury claims and how long would the railway be closed for.

I questioned the high cost involved in the inspection / testing of the locomotive air tanks, like other members assumed this was a statutory requirement for passenger carrying locomotives and I am concerned that this might not be the case. The money expended on this is the equivalent to 3 years of the S & T budget at the KFRPS - that is the reason we have no signals errected on the line - someone else spent the money, perhaps on something that was not required. Makes turning up tommorow a little bit harder.

• RMweb Premium

I think (not certain) that the public liability insurance would require any pressure vessels on the railway to be certified before the public could be admitted to the premises, I don't think it matters whether or not they pay.

I questioned the high cost involved in the inspection / testing of the locomotive air tanks, like other members assumed this was a statutory requirement for passenger carrying locomotives and I am concerned that this might not be the case. The money expended on this is the equivalent to 3 years of the S & T budget at the KFRPS - that is the reason we have no signals errected on the line - someone else spent the money, perhaps on something that was not required. Makes turning up tommorow a little bit harder.

A lot of attention should be paid to pressure relief valves (safety values) and the air receiver areas of the 165, as the system is not dual. I.E. if the safety valve sticks this will result in the rapid dumping of air, and a loss of air braking completely. 

On an unrelated note, HMRI do not look kindly upon dummy signals, so my advice would be not to install these until you can be assured to get the signalling system working quick-sharpish. 

Feel free to PM me if you need to discuss anything I've brought up further. 

Paul A. 

Are you sure this is a DE (Diesel Electric) only it looks like a 165DM (Diesel Mechanical) with the jackshaft drive from the gearbox under the cab, DE's don't have this as the traction motor drives directly onto the axle.

Asked around and she's a DM, and she looks like one that was at Brechin I have been told

Link to pic. http://bestieboy.smugmug.com/Trains/Industrial-Diesel-2/i-Lqkf3jf/0/O/421700%20Ruston%20Hornsby%200-4-0DM%20Caledonian%20Railway.jpg

A lot of attention should be paid to pressure relief valves (safety values) and the air receiver areas of the 165, as the system is not dual. I.E. if the safety valve sticks this will result in the rapid dumping of air, and a loss of air braking completely. 

On an unrelated note, HMRI do not look kindly upon dummy signals, so my advice would be not to install these until you can be assured to get the signalling system working quick-sharpish. 

Feel free to PM me if you need to discuss anything I've brought up further. 

Paul A. 

• RMweb Premium

I think he means if you install the signals without control gear they would be regarded as dummy ie non working signals. It would be better to install the posts and not the arms until you are ready to finish the job.

I think he means if you install the signals without control gear they would be regarded as dummy ie non working signals. It would be better to install the posts and not the arms until you are ready to finish the job.

Exactly this

Paul A.

• 1 month later...

post-17823-0-63262600-1368817107.jpgpost-17823-0-10059900-1368817112.jpg

Some loco buffers did have a thick 'composite woven fibre' looking face pad bolted on - think I've seen them on an ex BP refinery Hudswell Clarke residing in a yard not far away.  I may be able to get a photo soon.

Well that took a while!  :agree:  Note the copper rivets (well ok - bent nails)

• 5 months later...

HI All,

Correct title for this loco is 165 DSG. I assumed the 'G' was for Gas works? Its fitted with a number of safety devices, those already mentioned above, plus non-sparking Ferodo brake blocks, Basic direct dynamo driven flame-proof electrics, no battery or charging circuit, Domestic hot water radiators in the cab, in place of the electric driven fan type, special valves in the air inlet manifold that prevent the engine running away uncontrolled if driven in to a flamable atmosphere, and last but not least, no built in 6PS starter compressor, as the magneto spark was considered an ignition risk. These variants were usually started by an electric driven 300 psi compressor locoated in the engine shed and hopefully within a safe area. I'm one of the owners of the 165 at Brechin and currently trying to get it back in to running order.

Ian

HI All,

Correct title for this loco is 165 DSG. I assumed the 'G' was for Gas works?

Rustons, especially with their narrow gauge range for use in mines, would add a U for Underground or a G for flameproofed engines (the G presumably being  G for gassy (coal) mines) to the classification.

The U types would be fitted with an exhaust conditioner but G types would also have flametraps on the inlet and exhaust. Any electric lighting fitted would also be of approved type for use in gassy mines.

This loco would have the same type of equipment so that's why it's a DSG.

As a former owner of a number (at one time 6) industrial diesels, the comment about air receivers and testing are correct, but if this is a air start Ruston the 300psi starting air bottle is not exempt and needs statutory inspection, most railways do like to see other receivers tested for assurance, and they are only inspected every two years under SEP.

The flame proof 165DSG I am aware of are electric start as the electrical system can be flame proofed with Buxton certificated equipment where as a 6PS petrol compressor could not be.

• 1 month later...

Archived