Signal box sounds

figworthy

• RMweb Premium

Inspired by a comment I saw somewhere else, is there a simple answer to this question ?

If I were sat near to the signal box at a sleepy branch line terminus, what sort of instrument noises would I be likely to hear ?  I assume that the sound of the messages being sent to the next box probably wouldn't be heard, but messages from the next box coming in would be.  If so what sort of codes would be likely to be coming in ?

thanks

Adrian

To replicate the various bell codes etc you will need a basic grasp of block working.

I found out by chance my ancent "Samsun" mobile phone can be used to generate resonable sigalbox sounds. For example Dial either 1 or 2  for the sound of a lever being pulled or put back. 7 represents a typical block bell sound, likewise 8 or 9. Mick.

• RMweb Gold

Typically, mostly block bells.

5-5-5 opening in the morning.

For each train, 1 to call attention and then 3-1 to ask line clear from box in rear.

Then 2 bells for entering section.

Then 1 call attention and then 3-1 to ask line clear from box in advance.

Then train arrives and leaves.

Call attention and then 2-1 to box in rear for out of section

And 2 beats to box in advance for entering section.

Later 2-1 from box in advance giving out of section.

At end of day, 7-5-5 to close.

And then occasional telephone bells.

• RMweb Gold

But of course some of the bellcode detail varied over the years and there were examples where 'slight liberties were taken with it.  At an intermediate 'box an a branch which might best remain nameless the most common sequence of bellcodes received when certain Signalmen were on duty was this -

1 beat on the bell to Call Attention

1 tap on the bell to acknowledge that.

The next signal received immediately afterwards was 2-1-3-1- 2 (which was of course three separate codes sent as a single signal), and back to the armchair.

Apart from the accurate answers above, you mean?

In my experience the block bells are the only sound that travels far from the signalbox: you can usually hear them a lot further from the box than the sound of the lever pulls, although you would hear those if you were next to the box. A sleepy terminus will probably only have one - maybe two if the next box could switch out, but you'd only hear one at once. If you were close enough to hear lever pulls, on a single line branch you also might here tokens being removed or replaced - on a key token instrument, a "double clunk" either immediately after the Line Clear For... signal, or a few seconds before 2-1.

I've stood outside and/or close to boxes and heard both the bells sounding, and the sound (dunk-dunk) of the bobby replying, as well as the levers being pulled off.

e.g. On a clear day, with little sound you could hear this at Radyr, more so at Abercynon with the box on the platform. The first box I ever sat outside - Waterhall Jct - allowed all to be heard, on a warm day with the windows open.

Sound chip someone ?

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Hardly a sleepy branch terminus but block bell sounds do carry and it was quite often the case that standing on the platform at Swindon (before the new Down platform was added) you could hear the block bells in Swindon panel.  Definite feeling of deja vu there.

Now the odd thing is that notwithstanding it being Swindon of the 1970s/80s/90s the sounds of the block bells and codes weren't much different from what woudl be heard at a sleepy branch terminus.  But o sounds of levers going over or twitching of signal wires alas.

• RMweb Premium

Typically, mostly block bells.

5-5-5 opening in the morning.

For each train, 1 to call attention and then 3-1 to ask line clear from box in rear.

Then 2 bells for entering section.

Then 1 call attention and then 3-1 to ask line clear from box in advance.

Then train arrives and leaves.

Call attention and then 2-1 to box in rear for out of section

And 2 beats to box in advance for entering section.

Later 2-1 from box in advance giving out of section.

At end of day, 7-5-5 to close.

And then occasional telephone bells.

Many thanks, just the sort of thing I was looking for.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

I've stood outside and/or close to boxes and heard both the bells sounding, and the sound (dunk-dunk) of the bobby replying, as well as the levers being pulled off.

e.g. On a clear day, with little sound you could hear this at Radyr, more so at Abercynon with the box on the platform. The first box I ever sat outside - Waterhall Jct - allowed all to be heard, on a warm day with the windows open.

Sound chip someone ?

Brian R

You could be a mind reader.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

3-1 being a stopping passenger or mixed train ;)

More codes here

http://www.signalbox.org/block/bells.shtml

Bell codes are the only thing that carried any distance, especially if the windows were open on a nice calm day. The phone occasionally ringing is about the only other thing unless a lever crashing back into the frame as a train arrives and the home signal is replaced. Then a few more crashes of levers as the loco runs round at various times as points or signals are put back into the frame, usually more noisy than pulling them off / out.

• RMweb Gold

I have been considering trying to fit a speaker inside both signal boxes on Holcombe Brook and Tottington with each signal box having it's own sound decoder. Not only will it add something new it will also help with communicating on the layout which is nearly 40' in length. I think I may now go ahead with the idea.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Heard on Peter Handford's "West fo Exeter" LP:  

Telephone rings.  "Meldon Junction.......   Meldon Junction!!?? ....... they ring an' they don' wan 'ee....."

So don't forget they occasional boxer phone call, even if the phones were playing up!

Back in the 1970s I had a portable cassette recorder and decided I would take it to Port Sunlight Siding to record the noises inside the box and some of the trains outside - I took it twice and each time there was a complete block failure, a certain Flyingsignalman then banned me from ever taking it into the box again.

Sadly the one tape I did make, which had the dulcet tones of FS shouting "Block failure between here and Rock Ferry, pass the starter at danger" above a burbling pair of 25s (and other such sounds) was lost many years ago.

I own several block instruments, BR, LNWR, and LYR so in theory I could reproduce the bell codes on different instruments (as per the prototype) - if a box had multiple instruments then the  bells should be different so they can be distinguished.

• RMweb Gold

if a box had multiple instruments then the bells should be different so they can be distinguished.

One you are probably aware of but useful for making one sound like different bells, just pop a peg on the edge or a duster lightly wedged under it and bingo different sounds for recording the other bells and realistic too ;)

• RMweb Gold

One you are probably aware of but useful for making one sound like different bells, just pop a peg on the edge or a duster lightly wedged under it and bingo different sounds for recording the other bells and realistic too ;)

I've seen all sorts, I used to flick the striker to make sure I'd heard the right one - but on more than one occasion a comical exchange ensued when (using Birkenhead block - no call attention) replying to a train on the wrong instrument, the next box replies and gives a line clear but you think they are offering you a train and answer and give a line clear - then realisation dawns and the needles are dropped and, in some boxes, the Welwyn release was wound - or having a wafty crank as it was termed.

• RMweb Gold

I've seen all sorts, I used to flick the striker to make sure I'd heard the right one - but on more than one occasion a comical exchange ensued when (using Birkenhead block - no call attention) replying to a train on the wrong instrument, the next box replies and gives a line clear but you think they are offering you a train and answer and give a line clear - then realisation dawns and the needles are dropped and, in some boxes, the Welwyn release was wound - or having a wafty crank as it was termed.

It used to be great fun doing 'box visits when your presence wasn't passed on as quickly as need might sometimes be.  This Signalman in the 'box you were visiting would send 'Call Attention' prior to giving 'Train Out of Section' and the block for the opposite line would flick over to 'Line Clear' (thus creating the opportunity for an amusing or serious conversation depending on one's mood - the serious version usually being 'How on earth didn't you know that I'm here?')

When you're sitting on Barnetby station, the first indication of action is the gentle twanging of the wire as a signal is pulled off.  You then look up to see which one it is to get in the right position for a phot.

Sutton Coldfield circa 1977, signals left off continuously, bobbies on the phone playing chess and offering and accepting the trains verbally, no sound at all.

Archived