Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

ZTC 611 UPDATED CONTROLLER!

Just had a thought, it happens at times.

Its what Graham said yesterday about the colour of the 611 and it being green to differentiate between the 511 and the 611.

If we send in our 511's to be upgraded, even the 505, will they come back green ?

And ... as far as displaying the status of F9 to F28 goes, what do other systems with small screens (eg NCE Powercab, Gaugemaster, Digitrax, Lenz) do ?

On the Powercab there's a button (expn) that cycles the display between the lower and higher functions.

Ray.

Except that you need a flag or symbol to show you if you're looking at F0-F14 or F14-F28.

On Combe Martin's point about the 335 occupancy detection feedback, there is feedback, and there is feedback, it all depends on the device to which you're feeding back the information. As I understand the 335 manual, the 335 is a very simple device that monitors the DCC current flowing through it. No current flowing = unoccupied: Current flowing, i.e. being drawn by a decoder or a resistor between an insulated wheelset, =occupied. The 335 uses that to complete an internal circuit so that a light or LED connected to the output will be illuminated. The light could be in a traditional external track plan diagram. Or you could use it to operate a relay. The relay could be used to switch in diodes into a track feed to produce an asymmetric DCC signal to make the loco brake. That's all the feedback it gives you. But that doesn't matter as the 511, and so it would seem, the 611, have no way to receive that information, and even it they did, could do nothing with it.

If you want to use it in conjunction with PC control there is no data output. You would need to connect to the 355's output ports another device that can pass that information back to a PC. Even then it cannot tell you which loco is being detected as it doesn't have Railcom. You would have to use RFID or something similar and a reader to pass that back to your PC.

More sophisticated occupancy detectors do have a data bus output that can pass the information back to the DCC master controller and the controller can then pass that on to your PC through its PC interface. If the detector includes Railcom that can also include the identity of the loco. Some DCC controllers can then use that information to trigger routes automatically. e,g, goods locos always go into the loop whilst passenger trains get routed into the station platform.

Thanks for that info TTG - I guess one of the key questions in January (apart from the issue of reflecting what functions are active on the 611) will be as to whether the larger screen, whenever it is developed, will be done so as an add-on to the 611, or whether some serious money will have to be paid to convert the 611 in addition to buying the larger screen. I know he will have no idea of costs yet, but what is his design strategy - a bolt-on or an upgrade? Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I've spoken to Graham today and asked about this.

When you operate a function the function number will be shown on the display, so if you press 2 then 8, number 28 will be shown on the display.

to operate function 1 you would press 0, 1 and again number 1 will be shown on the display.

The MUCH larger touch screen is at least a year away, and will basically replace the screen that's there, if you want to!!!

There is no need to fit the bigger touch screen if you don't want to.

The main PCB and software is already set to accept the new touch screen once it gets developed.

There are two USB ports on this, type A and type B

One is for plugging in the USB stick to update the firmware, the other is to connect it to the PC.

Well, I'm suitably impressed and I have given lots of negative feedback over the years on the ZTC controller.

Perhaps not on the controller but the way it was being sold and the price even with it's known issues.

I've always wanted one as it is a great 'driving' desk, but when it was £500 plus the power supply it was way too much.

Graham has had the faith to invest and resurrect it and bring it up to date.

Unfortunately he is starting way back due to other owners not improving it, but I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and support him!

As such I've put my deposit down for one of the first batch due at the end of January!

Yes still a bit expensive, but there's just something about it that I like!

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction
  • Like 2

Your comment about it having 2 USB ports, one Type A for the memory stick for firmware upgrades, and one Type B for connection to a PC, is most revealing. If any firmware updates are going to be distributed via a USB memory stick, that suggests to me that they will be paid for upgrades as it would be easier , simpler, and cheaper for Taunton to distribute them via the internet so the owner could load them from their PC. Of course the Type A socket could also be used to connect other devices that use USB.

Edited by GoingUnderground

• RMweb Gold

Graham did say, upgrades would be sent by email for you to copy onto a USB stick and upgrade yourself.

For any people NOT having access to emails, etc then they can send out a USB stick with the upgrade already loaded on it.

Cheers

Ian

A memory stick transfer is essential for many of us - my layout is in a barn and the WiFi doesn't get that far. Many people have their layouts in lofts, sheds or garages where the signal would be poor. Much easier to take a memory stick to the unit, than unplug the unit and carry it back/down into the house!

Andi,

I agree with you. It's not hard or difficult, and is likely to be a very infrequent event anyway. However, the memory stick method may be the most pragmatic way to let users who are not comfortable with computers install the updates at home, and not a way to charge for them as I thought.

No, but I would rather not carry £500-worth of gear up and down a ladder more than I really have to!

I did drop mine out of the loft hatch and then it went down a flight of stairs, didn't hurt the controller at all but it did put a dent in the plaster at the bottom! - On the whole though, not to be recommended.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I spoke with Graham for a while at the O Gauge Bristol show yesterday and was told to expect a release at the end of the month of the 611.

He has suffered a few delays recently due to communication problems with his programmers and the supply of some hardware. But it seems all is well now and the end of the month should see the announcement of the release of the 611.