Colas 56 - new body tooling for British built locos?

Steadfast

Hi people,

I took an interest in the 56 and am pleased to say I took a few photos too - please see below.

I gather from Dapol Dave that the Colas one is to be a Dapol production run (i.e. not a commission).

Hope the photos help answer your queries :)

Dapol Colas Rail Freight at Ally Pall - 56094 Front View:

post-6532-0-65911200-1365978446_thumb.jpg

Dapol Colas Rail Freight at Ally Pall - 56094 Side View:

post-6532-0-91829600-1365978462_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Ixion.

That does look nice, will have to get a pre order in, the front end differences look well catered for.

I notice the cab side windows are still the earlier style though, and its hard to tell from that angle, but does the yellow panel have a straight or curved top? For the fabricated cab 56s it should be straight across, like a shelf, with the windows angled up above this

I'm still getting one whatever...:-)

jo

Not sure if its just me but the lettering looks too high compared to the grill.

The top of the 'c' in "COLAS RAIL FREIGHT" should level with the bottom of the grill. It could also be to heavy a typeface as the letters seem a bit thick.

If you look at this picture and compare it with one of the ones above

http://www.ap86316.railpic.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=113&pid=1883#top_display_media

Hopefully either I have got it wrong or it can be looked at.

Probably wont stop me having one even if it is slightly off!

Alistair

• RMweb Premium

Hi

As I wish to model 56035 in around 1981 which one would make the more suitable base?

From what I can see this loco has the smaller horn grill like the earlier Romanian built locos but was actually built at Doncaster. So would I be better off buying a later one and changing the horn grill?

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul

56035 was a bit of a mix of styles! Early type cab, but "joined" later cab windows, partial buffer beam cowling, round buffers, early cab grille, equal length handrails, grommeted headlight and recessed markers.

I would probably  go for a Romanian example and change the cabside windows, buffer beam cowling and handrails (check the handrails though as 035 certainly received the unequal length handrails of a Romanian at some point!). Sounds a lot, but easier than sorting out the cab type, cab grille and recessed markers.

It really is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other by the look of it!

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

The Colas livery looks good. The LL blue in the background looks interesting too!

Shame about the Romanian style cab windows, the BREL builds had a one piece aluminium framed windows, so quite different in appearance, similar to a Class 47. The cab front looks about right for a later BREL build with no buffer beam skirt.

No doubt I'll also be buying one, and ideal one of each, as I do like my 56s. Just need the timber wagons or covered steel wagons used from Boston docks to Washwood Heath to go with it . . . . 

Now a Dutch Civil Engineer one would be nice, but they are all batch 1 Doncaster builds . . . .

• 11 months later...

This arriving in the shops has caught me out, I was expecting it to be months, like every other model I have my eye on and now I've spent all my pennies!

Hopefully they won't all sell out before I've saved up my pocket money!

This arriving in the shops has caught me out, I was expecting it to be months, like every other model I have my eye on and now I've spent all my pennies!

Hopefully they won't all sell out before I've saved up my pocket money!

Well Dapol did say it was on the boat 6 weeks ago :P Seems like their facebook page is more upto date than their website :D

• RMweb Gold

Hi 56090 a lovely looking model. Livery whilst not quite right is certainly a good job. Some thought on "rightness" of cantrail orange line and "090" on the front - some had this number esp the Tyne area ones but 090 perhaps not. The orange line might have been on some but again I cannot find a photo but Dapol Dave when he did the artwork sign offs may have a picture on file that I do not. I think the weight /boldness of number is a bit big compared to transfers available the type face is pretty good.

As with all the 56s I have had a good runner. I am sure latest mags will have pictures.

It needs a load of weathering and 36 MGRs to two about to do it true justice.

Robert     

• RMweb Gold

with regards to the orange cantrail stripe for 56090, this photo on the RPA, would suggest it had one in LLB?

http://www.railphotoarchive.org/rpc_zoom.php?img=1715020127000

*edit*- but perhaps only round the cab roof?

Can't see an obvious one along the body side, unless it became invisible under layers of grime

Archived