Colas 56 - new body tooling for British built locos?

Steadfast

In the photos of the recent samples at Ally Pally on the N gauge Western thread, there's a Colas 56 in the corner of the shot. I've seen a comment about referring to the Dapol Facebook page, but not being a user, it's navigation is somewhat of a mystery to me and I can't find it.

So, question time, is it a new body moulding for the Doncaster and Crewe built locos? Great news if it is, and any further news or pictures any one picked up at Ally Pally?

Many thanks

jo

The main variation (besides build quality) was around the cabs, the Romanian (and early British) had cast cabs, the later build having fabricated steel cabs that were more angular.

Some links here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58157-Dapol-class-56-photo-review/?p=820385

Just noticed the second is an early build British one with the same cab.

Here's a link to a final style, fabricated cab

http://www.hondawanderer.com/56086_Kingham_1996.htm

Notice how the top of the yellow panel is straight, not curved and the whole cab looks more angular

HTH

jo

• RMweb Gold

Hi The variations on just 135 locos is a minefield for the unwary. With three locations building locos and several mods during build.

Happily to be corrected but the first batch built in Romania had an Aluminum cab parts which gave a more rounded roof dome, the buffer cowling like class47 and had round buffers, the quarter light window in cab had a rubber gromit surround,cab front lights were slightly recess and horn gril smaller flush front grill, headlamp had a rubber surround the main body feature was square mesh on side grill. 56001-030

The Doncaster built batch falls into the mire as 031 - 55 had only the top lip only on the cowl, no gromit on quarter light and finer mesh on bodyside, oval buffers?some were round?,headlamp in metal bezell fitting Other detrails per first batch. 56042 got unique bogies -similar to class 58.

batch 56-73 had no bufferbam cowling and steel cab sheeting - if you look you can see the roof oversails cab front window giving a small "eyebrow" effect.  

Batch 74 -65115 also Doncaster bult had a new protuding horn grill and lamps now surface mounted.

Crew built last 20, 56116-56135  to spec of batch  74-115.

Handrails - these also changed between batches  Cab front upto xx seem curved to clear headlamp later on flat across front  to my eye.  Cab side handrails on Batch one like 47 had slight recess for hand hold and level both sides of door , later batches guess 55 onwards had front rail extended close to body bottom, but many refitted to later standard.

collsion damage saw several locos 56004 ? or 006? gaining UK cabs. Quite late into day spare cabs exsisted at Glasgow works!

Have fun

Robert     

• RMweb Premium

The Doncaster built batch falls into the mire as 031 - 55 had only the top lip only on the cowl,

Nice summary although 56031/032 had the full buffer cowling, 56033 onwards were top lip only

EDIT - just noticed that forward cab side handrail is extended. And at some point in the build they were changed from round bar to flat bar

EDIT 2 - 5605 has a flat bar AND a round bar......... I think this combination was fitted 56058- 56069 with a quick bit of flickr searching.

I remember looking at 56 details when the Mainline model was originally released and recall some fun identifying handrail types - changes to handrail configuration didn't always tally with other more noticeable "batch" changes to bodywork.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Not forgetting the fun with cut front hadrails and square head lamps and the EWS no2 end cant rail grill/filter mods.

thanks for gen on First Doncaster 56s - I do not have to hand Martin Loaders fine profile books must go back and have a look!

Makes me feel sorry for Dapol Dave - treading the minefield with us all watching from safe ground !

I look forward to the Donny build locos...

Robert

What surprised me at Ally Pally was that no one was really interested in taking pics of any of the 5 i had on show there.

Large Logo Blue

Blue

EWS

Triple Grey

Colas

The colas one was incorrectly numbered for an accurate'ish front end as the headlight was a sealed beam type and the number portrayed doesnt have one. Luckily in the week up to the show 105 i think, was released in Colas with this headlight and thats the one we shall have as our model.

Pics are being taken for our in house club newsletter first then we will release them onto the website for all to see.

I like the Colas as it's nicely done, but the LLB looks great in my opinion, especially with the 'Bachmann Blue' on the side.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

The Colas one did look very smart.. I strongly suspect that one will be seen passing through Banbury when it is released!

I did intend taking pics but in the end just didn't get time to take very many of anything during the show.

Ian

Hi The variations on just 135 locos is a minefield for the unwary. With three locations building locos and several mods during build.

Happily to be corrected but the first batch built in Romania had an Aluminum cab parts which gave a more rounded roof dome, the buffer cowling like class47 and had round buffers, the quarter light window in cab had a rubber gromit surround,cab front lights were slightly recess and horn gril smaller flush front grill, headlamp had a rubber surround the main body feature was square mesh on side grill. 56001-030

The Doncaster built batch falls into the mire as 031 - 55 had only the top lip only on the cowl, no gromit on quarter light and finer mesh on bodyside, oval buffers?some were round?,headlamp in metal bezell fitting Other detrails per first batch. 56042 got unique bogies -similar to class 58.

batch 56-73 had no bufferbam cowling and steel cab sheeting - if you look you can see the roof oversails cab front window giving a small "eyebrow" effect.  

Batch 74 -65115 also Doncaster bult had a new protuding horn grill and lamps now surface mounted.

Crew built last 20, 56116-56135  to spec of batch  74-115.

Handrails - these also changed between batches  Cab front upto xx seem curved to clear headlamp later on flat across front  to my eye.  Cab side handrails on Batch one like 47 had slight recess for hand hold and level both sides of door , later batches guess 55 onwards had front rail extended close to body bottom, but many refitted to later standard.

collsion damage saw several locos 56004 ? or 006? gaining UK cabs. Quite late into day spare cabs exsisted at Glasgow works!

Have fun

Robert     

56004 had both cabs replaced. A nice easy one for Dapol, considering the new tool and the minefield of detail differences.

Carl

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gang

Rails of sheffield have listed :

2D-004-005  56089 in EW&S   ( D suffix also for DCC fitted for all four versions

2D-004-006  56070 BR blue 

2D-004-007  56090 Large logo Blue

2D-004-008 56056 construction centre.

No prices given just TBA .

Hope this helps 

Robert

Don't forget the unusual pair - 56073 and 56074, which both had a roof mounted warning beacon, above the cab.

There is a really good photo of 56074 with the beacon, here: http://www.class56.co.uk/picture/56074-yk-130380.jpg

They were like it when in BR Blue and I think it was to provide a visible warning light for a colliery somewhere, if I recall... Knottingley perhaps?

I expect Dave will not venture to doing these two... but I'm not sure there is a kit you can buy to make the modification?  Mind you it doesn't look that difficult :sarcastichand:

Cheers,

Ixion.

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget the unusual pair - 56073 and 56074, which both had a roof mounted warning beacon, above the cab.

There is a really good photo of 56074 with the beacon, here: http://www.class56.co.uk/picture/56074-yk-130380.jpg

They were like it when in BR Blue and I think it was to provide a visible warning light for a colliery somewhere, if I recall... Knottingley perhaps?

I expect Dave will not venture to doing these two... but I'm not sure there is a kit you can buy to make the modification?  Mind you it doesn't look that difficult :sarcastichand:

Cheers,

Ixion.

The light was to to warn people that the loco could be unmanned and under remote control during MGR unloading. 47373 was similarly fitted.

You may be thinking of Kellingley Colliery, not too far from Knottingley. 56074 was named after it.

Cheers,

Mick

Are there any pictures around of the Dapol Colas liveried 56? would loive to see it.

Also, are they, (you Mr Dave) planning on doing the most excellet looking Loadhaul model individually instead of as part of the set? Personally I will not be acquiring the set as I do not do digital.

Best wishes

Simon

Archived