Ebay And Paypal

d600

Hi im a new seller on ebay and made my first sell wait for it £1 :derisive: the buyer paid via paypal and they took 23p out of a £1 for there fees :cry: is that correct 23% seems bit high if thats the case dont think i will bother,and they have held the payment for 21 days dose it get worse lol.

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi im a new seller on ebay and made my first sell wait for it £1 :derisive: the buyer paid via paypal and they took 23p out of a £1 for there fees :cry: is that correct 23% seems bit high if thats the case dont think i will bother,and they have held the payment for 21 days dose it get worse lol.

cheers

To be honest and without checking I thought it was 10% from ebay and 4% from paypal.

E Bay charge listing fees and final value fees both payable by invoice if you are a registered verified user.

Paypal have a variety of schemes available to buyers which, I believe, the seller has to subsidise. The latest one is 14 days to pay which I use a lot on cheaper items and divert straight to credit card which I use for more expensive stuff. I think there is a flat fee for really low amounts. There certainly is on credit cards and debit cards.

I would imagine taht you have fallen foul of the double whammy of flat fee and payment after delivery.

The price is the price. If matey wants to play funny, then report him. His deal with PayPal is exactly that, nothing whatever to do with sellers.

Hi not sure what you mean ?

cheers

I think you misunderstand.

The price is the price. If matey wants to play funny, then report him. His deal with PayPal is exactly that, nothing whatever to do with sellers.

He has made his first sell for £1, the "wait for it" was just for effect, not meaning the buyer made him wait for payment.

Ebay is a bit expensive for the sellers so I use gumtree now.

cheers

If you sell anything for a £1 you wont make anything. Ebay charge 10% of the selling fee on the bid price not Bid and postage. Paypal charge 3% on both bid and postage price + 20p

Some sellers charge for packing as well as postage to off set some of the fees

• RMweb Gold

Hi not sure what you mean ?

cheers

I mean report the little scrote! The price "on the hammer" is what he must pay, plus whatever p&p charges you have quoted. There is no need to negotiate with him - if he wants to pay 1p less, or delay payment - report him, cancel the sale and start again.

Ian, I think you've grabbed hold of the wrong end of the jist here; the OP is complaining about PayPal, not the buyer - the buyer didn't do anything wrong in this case.

The OP sold something on ebay for £1, of which PayPal took a massive 23p in fees. To make it worse, PayPal are not paying him (the seller) for 21 days - I would guess that would be the time to confirm his address and other details as he's a new ebay member.

Paypal are a banking service. A commercial service has to charge a fee unless for some reason you think the world should be free. They have staff, overheads and returns on investments to pay.

I am not sure what if anything is sold for £1. (other than in Pound stores) Was this just an unfortunate bad listing that didn't attract buyers or was it really only worth £1. If the former then ebay provides an option to set a starting price, if the latter then what was the poijnt of listing it?

ebay don't really want these small value transaction items any more and are deliberately trying to price the them out along with the occasional and low volume private seller. They are more trouble than they are worth and probably are the cause of the majority of disputes that require handling (expensive manpower)

Ebay is a bit expensive for the sellers so I use gumtree now.

The problem is that I would guess that most buyers do not.

Some sellers charge for packing as well as postage to off set some of the fees

But this is against the ebay selling rules (excessive P&P charges) and also likely to loose you buyers and reasonable feedback scores. There is nothing much worse than a seller charging high prices for P&P and the item arriving second class in rubbish packing.

• RMweb Gold

Ian, I think you've grabbed hold of the wrong end of the jist here; the OP is complaining about PayPal, not the buyer - the buyer didn't do anything wrong in this case.

The OP sold something on ebay for £1, of which PayPal took a massive 23p in fees. To make it worse, PayPal are not paying him (the seller) for 21 days - I would guess that would be the time to confirm his address and other details as he's a new ebay member.

Sorry, syntactical ambiguity to me "the buyer paid via paypal and they took 23p out of a £1 for there fees" led me to believe the buyer had taken a chunk back. Point now understood!

ebay don't really want these small value transaction items any more and are deliberately trying to price the them out along with the occasional and low volume private seller. They are more trouble than they are worth and probably are the cause of the majority of disputes that require handling (expensive manpower)

As an occasional and low volume private seller, which I understood was the original reason ebay was founded, I would like to think that my sales are worthwhile to someone, either myself or my buyers. I dont cause any problems and each of my sales goes for £20-£30, sometimes more but in your view I shouldnt use ebay? What a load of ....... :stinker: 

but in your view I shouldnt use ebay? What a load of .......

NOT my view - as I also am an intermittent seller - it is the clear intention of ebay to encourage the high volume eshop seller. Having disputes from such sellers resolved by the seller's customer department means that ebay can sit back and provide their core service - the sales platform. There are also many of these larger sellers who offer inclusive postage or low rates. They see it as an extension to their business.

Unfortunately there are no real alternatives (none of the other ME2 sites seem to attract the number of buyers. and we all know that an auction really doesn't work unless it has at least two buyers.

The fee structure discriminates against the low volume, low price sale - we have to accept that because we sure are not going to influence ebay to change that policy. They may even say that they do enough by the occasional free listing days. So if your item sells for £1 and you are charged 23p then then the consolation is that you had 77p that you didn't have before you sold it.

ebay may well have been stated as a way to connect individual sellers with unwanted items to buyers who were prepared to pay something for them. But now it is a commercial entity that has to make money to pay its way (expensive servers, etc) The business model has evolved along with the many sellers who use it now to make a profit.

• RMweb Gold

As an occasional and low volume private seller, which I understood was the original reason ebay was founded, I would like to think that my sales are worthwhile to someone, either myself or my buyers. I dont cause any problems and each of my sales goes for £20-£30, sometimes more but in your view I shouldnt use ebay? What a load of ....... :stinker: 

Like every other 'net enterprise - as distinct from blogs, informative sites and most forums - ebay was founded to make money, that's all. It has evolved in light of experience. You are still at liberty to sell on ebay, but it isn't the bargain for sellers or buyers it once was. I have never attempted to sell, but have over 300 purchases to my name, some nearly £1k. I still find it useful, as you do, but the margins for sellers are not always what they once were, as the disappointed OP discovered.

Had a strange one the other day. Won a sewing machine on ebay (in unknown working condition) for 99p. Naturally being a 'collect only' item I expected to pay on collection, turned up and the sellers mum refused payment ( guess figuring 99p was just not worth worrying about)...

Mum didn't tell Son.. Son chased me for payment via paypal (as he'd expected me to do)....

Ultimately he apologised (probably after speaking to mum) but I am stunned he expected paypal payment for a collection item!!!

• RMweb Premium

If you're selling model railways list them to end on a Sunday evening. Offer international postage (there are losts of us abroard, we can't find suff locally and generally have more pocket money!)

Unfortunately as a new seller buyers will be shy!

Don't give up as every journey starts with single steps.

NOT my view - as I also am an intermittent seller - it is the clear intention of ebay to encourage the high volume eshop seller. Having disputes from such sellers resolved by the seller's customer department means that ebay can sit back and provide their core service - the sales platform. There are also many of these larger sellers who offer inclusive postage or low rates. They see it as an extension to their business.

Unfortunately there are no real alternatives (none of the other ME2 sites seem to attract the number of buyers. and we all know that an auction really doesn't work unless it has at least two buyers.

The fee structure discriminates against the low volume, low price sale - we have to accept that because we sure are not going to influence ebay to change that policy. They may even say that they do enough by the occasional free listing days. So if your item sells for £1 and you are charged 23p then then the consolation is that you had 77p that you didn't have before you sold it.

ebay may well have been stated as a way to connect individual sellers with unwanted items to buyers who were prepared to pay something for them. But now it is a commercial entity that has to make money to pay its way (expensive servers, etc) The business model has evolved along with the many sellers who use it now to make a profit.

Sorry kenton, i misunderstood your original comment.

Like every other 'net enterprise - as distinct from blogs, informative sites and most forums - ebay was founded to make money, that's all. It has evolved in light of experience. You are still at liberty to sell on ebay, but it isn't the bargain for sellers or buyers it once was. I have never attempted to sell, but have over 300 purchases to my name, some nearly £1k. I still find it useful, as you do, but the margins for sellers are not always what they once were, as the disappointed OP discovered.

I do a lot of buying on ebay but only sell a few items...in fact I think I messed up today, I listed something with a buy it now price of £20 expecting to struggle to get it, it was snapped up by a dealer within 5 mins of listing! Doh!!

Ive also managed to buy small detailing items,i.e. loading gauge,gwr nameboard posts etc for £1 which to me are a bargain, but I wouldnt like to sell anything for a pound, it's just not worth it, so I'm a bit hypocritical.

Guest Mikado

What is your point?

But this is against the ebay selling rules (excessive P&P charges) and also likely to loose you buyers and reasonable feedback scores. There is nothing much worse than a seller charging high prices for P&P and the item arriving second class in rubbish packing.

Kenton

In part I agree with your answer, but Ebay does allow for packing costs (not excessive) to be levied, and lets face it if the buyer doses not like the postage price, then dont bid. When sellers are charging a lot for postage I just lower my masimum bid, if the total price is within what I think the item is worth to me then I am happy.

Badly packaged parcells are un-acceptable, whether they are in new or reycycled packaging. I have no problen paying for packaging costs even if some of the materials are reycycled. In fact some items used to protect are not only ingenious but come in very handy (Ferro Roche boxes for example)afterwards.

Most items I recieve do not past muster with the Royal Mail's instructions, 2" of packing in all directions around the item. That means the box must be 4" longer, wider and deeper than the item, unless you make your own box it is doubtfull you will get the size you require to protect the item to Royal Mail's satisfaction.

This is part of a message I recieved yesterday "arrived today beautifully packed". I have found a source of quite stout card, which has been used but is just the job to protect the item from normal Royal Mail's handling and can easily be made into a custom made package, I still have to buy tape, brown paper, bubble-wrap etc and not forgetting transport to the Post Office. But I do agree with with your comment on badly used second hand packing.

Sorry kenton, i misunderstood your original comment.

My apologies. Sometimes I've acute clarity of thought which somehow appears as utter drivel when it appears in print. Even reading it back to myself it instantly translates back to into the same intended message, but when read by others seems to have an entirely different life of its own.

I think it is also a common feature of forum posts that although we read the entire message we only respond to a part of it, sometimes focusing on that part to the exclusion of the rest or context intended. I certainly know that is a fault of mine all too often.

Archived