RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

a few more from the last week, started off on a family break in cleethorpes where i had to leave early to work on thursday so i caught the train back to didcot from there, annoyingly when i got back to my hotel in oxford i was looking on ebay and ended up buying a new car from near scunthorpe so ended up catching the train all the way back there yesterday!

180 in cleethorpes

DSCF6644.jpg

153 off to barton on humber

DSCF6640.jpg

the next day it was a hinksey-bescot-hinksey job

a bit of a bluury shot of a 66 passing by

DSCF6654.jpg

and into bescot with the train where i had to fuel both the 70s

waiting to get n the fueller 

DSCF6656.jpg

being fuelled

DSCF6657.jpg

66007 on a liner

DSCF6658.jpg

70804, waiting its turn to come on for fuel

DSCF6660.jpg

DSCF6662.jpg

70802 being fuelled

DSCF6663.jpg

i left 802 in bescot for a job i'm just about to go out of the door for, l/e from bescot to mountsorrel then mountsorrel to oxford before driving back in a van to leicester into lodge so i can work the 70 back l/e to bescot tomorrow!!

• Like 11

hi Jim,

Who owns the refuelling points..........and how does payment etc get done by the different companies........I assume you dont have to pay with credit card, or get green shield stamps etc.,

Bob.

Ahh, but I've just heard there's now 20 in Colas' mitts, so have they upped the number because they've realised that they are utter beasts?! :yes:

Really looking forward to a lemon yellow/orange 'tug'!

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

The whole thing!

Its the traction motors that whine, the dynamic brake end sounds good when you use it, its such a powerful brake its almost like driving a unit at times!!

The scavenger fans make a good noise wheb they start up too, almost sounds like a chinook!!

Just one pic from today, 70802 (again!) on 6v46

D3997DDF-A28B-4DC5-A16B-906881A5DA26.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Dynamic brakes use the traction motors as a generator and it dumps the power through a resistor bank. The resistors need to be cooled and it's the fans that howl. Quite a noise when descending the 1:120 or so behind my house with 1800Te on the back.

(An electric loco/MU can have a regeneration brake where it puts power back into the OLE or 3rd rail).

I think the same resistors are used to do a static load test on a 70 - it doesn't need a separate load bank.

IIRC, Voyagers also have dynamic brakes and the resistor banks are on the roof, but they withstand a full load test.

Dynamic brakes are also sometimes referred to as rheostatic brakes.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

coming into Didcot this morning from the A34 and there was a Colas 70 to my left just swinging round the bend towards Oxford so I couldnt see which one. it was around 0945 if anyone knows which loco was on the front.

great pictures Jim

• RMweb Premium

Dynamic brakes use the traction motors as a generator and it dumps the power through a resistor bank. The resistors need to be cooled and it's the fans that howl. Quite a noise when descending the 1:120 or so behind my house with 1800Te on the back.

(An electric loco/MU can have a regeneration brake where it puts power back into the OLE or 3rd rail).

I think the same resistors are used to do a static load test on a 70 - it doesn't need a separate load bank.

IIRC, Voyagers also have dynamic brakes and the resistor banks are on the roof, but they withstand a full load test.

Dynamic brakes are also sometimes referred to as rheostatic brakes.

Cheers,

Mick

Its surprising just how much North American engineers (drivers) have to rely on dynamic brakes. Some of their grades are so many miles long and so severe that dynamics are an absolute must to get down the hill in one piece..

They will add many locomotives with dynamic brakes to descend a grade as they will to ascend it! Puts on a whole new perspective of train handling skill.

With many of these long 10'000 ton plus freights, if you relied on just air alone you would probably become a runaway very quickly as you you'd either run out of air or burn out all the brake shoes!

Wouldn't be the first time that's happened either. (Cajon Pass  wreck 1989)

• RMweb Gold

Its surprising just how much North American engineers (drivers) have to rely on dynamic brakes. Some of their grades are so many miles long and so severe that dynamics are an absolute must to get down the hill in one piece..

They will add many locomotives with dynamic brakes to descend a grade as they will to ascend it! Puts on a whole new perspective of train handling skill.

With many of these long 10'000 ton plus freights, if you relied on just air alone you would probably become a runaway very quickly as you you'd either run out of air or burn out all the brake shoes!

Wouldn't be the first time that's happened either. (Cajon Pass  wreck 1989)

It's one of the main areas of tuition on simulators for some roads before they let drivers anywhere near real locos out on the road.  the next most important area of training seems to be fuel economy.

• RMweb Premium

It's one of the main areas of tuition on simulators for some roads before they let drivers anywhere near real locos out on the road.  the next most important area of training seems to be fuel economy.

Indeed Mike. There's a lot more skill involved going down than up! Slack run in (derailment risk) and then slack run out which can break the train in two. Both will get your back side fired out the door on many if not all of the class 1 roads in the U.S. They call it bad train handling.

Anyway, ive derailed the thread topic slightly. Soz lads & lasses.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

some from today, a nice sunny day so lots of photographers about!!

started in leamington where i picked up 6M50 to bescot, today we went via hatton instead of coventry

DSCF6685.jpg

DSCF6686.jpg

park lane jn

DSCF6687.jpg

walsall, had to wait for this to cross my path, taken from the veranda again!!

DSCF6691.jpg

and into bescot where we picked up 70804 that i'd left there yesterday

A7C31C1B-89CB-4E63-8BE5-0877FA218BE1.jpg

DSCF6693.jpg

not the best shot coz of all the lineside equipment but just so you get an idea of how long the train is, 1500ft (409 metres)

DSCF6707.jpg

97302  came down the goods to be dropped into the virtual quarry

DSCF6692.jpg

then a bit later 97303 came along to join it, so i got the full set as 304 was parked on the down side too!!

DSCF6698.jpg

DSCF6704.jpg

thsi has been parked in bescot for a long time but i've only managed to photograph it for the first time today, the tank wagons were originally converted by my stepdads compamy (c.c.crump) in 1988 and the train was used for a short while before being laid up where it has just rusted away ever since!!

0BD9CA92-5567-4A06-85B7-60CFBD92C96E.jpg

2BFC22F5-D5D9-40FF-A10E-EB926BE92264.jpg

couple more random shots...

DSCF6702.jpg

DSCF6708.jpg

DSCF6710.jpg

and on to saltney where i got off to wait for a taxi home so i got some more shots there

the 70s head off to westbury

DSCF6712.jpg

66568 passes the old saltney box

DSCF6713.jpg

and the new signalling centre

DSCF6714.jpg

xc 170

DSCF6723.jpg

DSCF6724.jpg

day off tomorrow before heading down to hinksey in readyness to work a few engineers trains to southall via the chiltern mainline over the course of the weekend

• Like 14