Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Jim, Like the Mediterranean sky in Hereford!

Cheers, Pete.

I know it was a lovely morning, shame i had my jumper and big rain coat on, its hard to judge what the day is going to be like when you get up at 03:00!

Hopefully it will be nice tomorrow too, got a bit of road refreshing to do to the seaside

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for hijacking Jim, but one of 60002 from my old friend Stephen taken a couple of days ago.

Tugging through Bradford on Avon by Invader1009, on Flickr

Nice pic but not quite up to the title tho' as the Class 60 is not only exhibiting tail lights but (unless SLW is in operation) is obviously on the back of the train

• Like 1

I know it was a lovely morning, shame i had my jumper and big rain coat on, its hard to judge what the day is going to be like when you get up at 03:00!

Hopefully it will be nice tomorrow too, got a bit of road refreshing to do to the seaside

I don’t believe that I’ve ever been in Hereford where it’s not been “overcast” or at least partly cloudy.  Look forward to more pics of your travels, Jim.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Nice pic but not quite up to the title tho' as the Class 60 is not only exhibiting tail lights but (unless SLW is in operation) is obviously on the back of the train

The posting on Flickr gives a few more details, it was actually running T&T with a 70.

Stephen retired some years ago and spends most of his time these days travelling  around by train. His photostream at https://www.flickr.com/photos/invader1009 is always worth a look for modern stuff. He posts every few days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh i do like to be beside the seaside

D8504509-9446-4407-94E5-428BB1747403.jpg

Phew - I thought you were going to have to suffer going to Blackpool...........

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

did a route refresh to llandudno today for a job next week conducting some OTP, not many pics as i was in the cab of various units but a few from llandudno

to start with the line between crewe and chester was shut so i decided to catch a train to manchester piccadilly and get the llandudno service from there, as it happened i pulled in at 11:48 and the next train was 11:50 so i thought i'd end up having an hour in manchester as i wouldnt make it from plat 7 to 14 in that time, thankfully the arriva unit was still in mayfield loop when i passed and by a pure stroke of luck the door i was stood at on the pendolino stopped rght by the steps so i ran up and got onto the platform as the unit pulled in!

quite useful going via manchester as it gave me a chance to refresh chat moss as ive not seen it since electrification, speeds have been increased along the route apart from a short section around astley boy

so that was that, stayed on to llandudno where it was raining when i got there

DSCF0973.jpg

the newly refurbished station certainly looks the part now, the metalwork all finished in maroon and cream

DSCF0974.jpg

signal gantry

DSCF0975.jpg

i then went to the box and had a chat with the signaller, even though i know the moves around llandudno i thought i'd go up and have a look as i never did it when i worked for arriva

the view from the box back to the station

DSCF0976.jpg

the old "taxi rank" in the middle of the platform is now shut to traffic and there is a new car park to the left of the platforms, they have knocked down a couple of derelict buildings on the station front too

DSCF0978.jpg

175101 departing for llandudno Jn

DSCF0979.jpg

ended up having a good chat to the signalman, was there at least 3 hours, watching him do all the bell codes, pulling off various signals, tightening the wires as it got warmer, of course i had lots of questions for him about the box which he duly answered, i think he quite enjoyed the company (well i hope he did anyway!) as i was genuinely interested in seeing the box operating, its surprising how busy it is on the sly, there may not be a train in the platfrom but there was always something going on, getting train clear from deganwy, accepting trains from there etc, he even had a scenario where one train was departing as another arrived so he had to pull off the "W" warning subsiduary signal on the outer home to warn the incoming unit to drop down to the inner home as the outgoing unit was on the single track lead

couple from the box with permission

DSCF0980.jpg

not too many white levers, note the 3 different types of cable tensioners behind the first lever 

DSCF0981.jpg

175 arriving into the station

DSCF0983.jpg

after that i then made my way out to "the junction" 

i can't believe how overgrown the station area is, in fact the whole coast route from chester is ttally different to the last time i did it, i really cant believe how the trees have taken over the whole line, some places such as shotton its almost like a tunnel, in fact prestatyn box is almost obscured by a tree, how the signaller can see anything from ther i don't know, to be honest i also cant believe how run down the whole line looks, a lot of the stations look really neglected apart from llandudno and prestatyn (which also has its new shopping centre dominating the skyline) but on the plus side it was nice to see the trains really busy with hoilday makers/day trippers, although i dont miss working the trains!

in that lot of trees there are actually sidings

DSCF0984.jpg

it just looks so run down though

DSCF0986.jpg

and yes there are sidings in there too, (and behind them a cinema, kfc and pizza hut)

DSCF0987.jpg

then my train came in from holyhead

DSCF0988.jpg

again i knew the driver si had a good chat on the way back to chester

DSCF0989.jpg

got off at chester for 1/2 hour and caught another 175 to warrington where i changed for a train back to crewe

932F3184-C5C1-4727-AFCF-4E0F38BA09AF.jpg

warrington

DSCF0991.jpg

DSCF0994.jpg

crossed all the running lines with no hi-viz!

DSCF0995.jpg

DSCF0999.jpg

and thats me til monday, layout day tomorrow 

edit: question for you all...

the signalman (stephen) was told that llandudno had the last remaining signal gantry with semaphores still in use, can anyone think of any more?

i can think of one (that i'll not reveal yet to see if anyone comes up with it) that when i mentioned it to him he agreed that it was another example, however is this the last LMS semaphore gantry?

Edited by big jim
  • Like 17

did a route refresh to llandudno today for a job next week conducting some OTP, not many pics as i was in the cab of various units but a few from llandudno

to start with the line between crewe and chester was shut so i decided to catch a train to manchester piccadilly and get the llandudno service from there, as it happened i pulled in at 11:48 and the next train was 11:50 so i thought i'd end up having an hour in manchester as i wouldnt make it from plat 7 to 14 in that time, thankfully the arriva unit was still in mayfield loop when i passed and by a pure stroke of luck the door i was stood at on the pendolino stopped rght by the steps so i ran up and got onto the platform as the unit pulled in!

Question - when doing route refreshes, do you just roll up to the train you want and hop in the cab, or do you have to make some kind of arrangement in advance?

PS still enjoying this thread, fascinating to see what railway operations are like from the "inside".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is the answer to your questen above (post 2461) Shrewsbury?

Kind regards

Ian

It wasn't the one i wss thinking of but that is another example, the one at the north end of the station, although it does have colour lights and semaphores on it now

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice pics Jim - glad to see the Pratt truss gantry still survives at Llandudno, it's now 23 years since I went there specifically to take pics of it and I suspect there probably isn't another one still in use on the national network although SE might know of one.  The gantry at Salop is an interesting one as well - it's to the final standard Reading 'large gantry' design and I think it was the only one of its type to ever have semaphore signals on it.  I'm not sure if there are any others left on former WR territory but if there are they have a very limited future with electrification coming up fast and they were quite uncommon anyway  (the one in Sonning Cutting went at Easter).

And yes - your firm will pay for Footplate Passes, I can recall back in the '90s negotiating contracts for them for the operator I worked for and I think I was probably one of the first people to do so - so I got a good price ;).  I just had a look at my final Footplate Pass, quite something as it reads 'All stations Railtrack, Paris and Brussels', so it outshines one from an earlier job which was 'All Stations Western Region Penetrating Routes ER SR MR AR' - which basically meant I could go anywhere accompanying a WR Driver, even on to the Anglia Region (which had a fairly short life).  All my yesterdays  :senile: 

where are the right hand set of signals on the gantry for?

The platform line on the other side - i.e. to the right of the photograher.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The platform line on the other side - i.e. to the right of the photograher.

thanks, replaced by the 2 stand alone signals on that side that you can see in my pics, the reason i asked is you would have thought they would have angled those 2 signals toward platform 3 as in that picture they certainly don't look like they are for that line

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim, in the picture of the box interior and the panel itself, any idea what the "hands off" picture of the lever frame is all about??

Edited by Gary H

Hi Jim, in the picture of the box interior and the panel itself, any idea what the "hands off" picture of the lever frame is all about??

I wonder if it's to remind certain signallers to wrap a piece of cloth around the lever before taking hold of it? This seems to be universal practice amongst signallers who've 'come up though the grades', but new recruits might be unaware. I don't know why this practice is so widespread; on the one occasion I pulled off a lever without one (on the Great Cockrow), I got an electric shock, but I'm sure all signal-boxes don't have this feature.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if it's to remind certain signallers to wrap a piece of cloth around the lever before taking hold of it? This seems to be universal practice amongst signallers who've 'come up though the grades', but new recruits might be unaware. I don't know why this practice is so widespread; on the one occasion I pulled off a lever without one (on the Great Cockrow), I got an electric shock, but I'm sure all signal-boxes don't have this feature.

I did think of that, Brian and I suspect you are right!!

Nothing worse than rusty looking levers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It says "You must not place a stop signal to danger until the last vehicle has passed clear unless during an emergency"   If that helps....

Can you read that?? :O

My eyes arnt that good! :no: