Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

where are the right hand set of signals on the gantry for?

As Mike says, the platform to the right, which now has the two straight posts. There used to be another road starting in front of the box which led into the next island platform.

Mike may also be right about the Pratt truss gantry. There are very few semaphore gantries about now, another being at Hellifield, but that is a straight girder.

Llandudno is a shadow of its former self. The roof used to extend along that big brick wall. There was a goods yard behind platform 1 and about 10 sidings opposite the box which fed the gas works branch. Beyond the box there were about 10 carriage sidings on the Down side, at the south end of which there was a turntable and some basic facilities for locos arriving during peak traffic.

Edit for typos 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

I did think of that, Brian and I suspect you are right!!

Nothing worse than rusty looking levers.

It is to do with not replacing a signal to danger too early, i must admit though when i saw it i thought it was to do with using a cloth on the levers until i read the small print

Signalengineer: hellifield was the one that i thought of but the llandudno signaller was unsure if it was in fact mounted into the embankment on one side rather than 2 uprights

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Signalengineer: hellifield was the one that i thought of but the llandudno signaller was unsure if it was in fact mounted into the embankment on one side rather than 2 uprights

Hellifield has a normal leg on the platform side and a short leg on the bank side above the retaining wall.

• RMweb Gold

It is to do with not replacing a signal to danger too early, i must admit though when i saw it i thought it was to do with using a cloth on the levers until i read the small print

Signalengineer: hellifield was the one that i thought of but the llandudno signaller was unsure if it was in fact mounted into the embankment on one side rather than 2 uprigh

Hellifield has a normal leg on the platform side and a short leg on the bank side above the retaining wall.

And hopefully this photo taken on 21st April 2015 helps too.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

As Mike says, the platform to the right, which now has the two straight posts. There used to be another road starting in front of the box which led into the next island platform.

Mike may also be right about the Pratt truss gantry. There are very few semaphore gantries about now, another being at Hellifield, but that is a straight girder.

Llandudno is a shadow of its former self. The roof used to extend along that big brick wall. There was a goods yard behind platform 1 and about 10 sidings opposite the box which fed the gas works branch. Beyond the box there were about 10 carriage sidings on the Down side, at the south end of which there was a turntable and some basic facilities for locos arriving during peak traffic.

Edit for typos 

Llandudno ca 1978

post-6662-0-34678600-1438550815_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

That yellow shunt disc signal appears so small for drivers - probably not helped by being painted what appears to be black with only a single yellow band....even worse if the sun was shining in your eyes! I'm sure the older red/white version stands out more by miles.

Just as well I'm not driving as could still be sitting there now having not noticed it change!

• RMweb Gold

Jim whats the top speed and your average on the journey with he tamper?

60 mph

Jim,

Are the DVT a bit strange to travel in? I mean, the way I imagine it fells like your sat in a loco, but without the noise of the engine?

Kind regards

Ian

it doesn't feel that odd really, the important thing to remember when driving one is to open up and shut the power slowly do stop the loco doesnt kick you

• RMweb Gold

That yellow shunt disc signal appears so small for drivers - probably not helped by being painted what appears to be black with only a single yellow band....even worse if the sun was shining in your eyes! I'm sure the older red/white version stands out more by miles.

Just as well I'm not driving as could still be sitting there now having not noticed it change!

A red/white one has a different meaning though.

A red/white one has a different meaning though.

Was originally a Red/White disc, but changed when the Loco Depot was built by the old goods shed. see photo below.

post-7146-0-51395800-1438816381_thumb.jpg

The Black/Yellow disc seemed to be a WR thing as they where usually White/Yellow discs elsewhere. There are still two of the Black/Yellow ones at either end of Abergavenny goods yard, one at the exit to the stone terminal siding at Moreton on Lugg and one on the center road siding at Worcester Shrub Hill.

Paul J.

• Like 3

Thinking further is another one at Weston Super Mare on the Tamper siding at the Bristol end, and another one at Bridgwater on the CEGB headshunt.

I'll try and get some pictures this afternoon of the Bristol area ones, I'm not down Weston/Bridgwater way until next week.

Great Western

I can vaugely remember them changing one of the discs at Abergavenny over from yellow stripe on a white disc to yellow on a black disc. I think it is just to make them stand out more as a yellow stripe on a white ground does not really stand out, especially if the yellow has started to fade.