RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Trainshed Terry said:

I feel a argument starting

I disagree, Colchester PSB is better looking as it is made of brick.  Carlisle looks like a warehouse. 

Terry

At least the signallers at both locations can still look out of the windows and see trains, something that's becoming a thing of the past as signalling is increasingly carried out from R.O.Cs.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, big jim said:

bescot 

IMG_7381.HEIC

Definitely a ‘when the real thing looks like a model’ pic !

Nice use of static grass at the front, but the yard lamp has got wrong colour LED’s fitted, and that backscene lacks effort…..

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

On 12/09/2022 at 18:58, Dunsignalling said:

At least the signallers at both locations can still look out of the windows and see trains, something that's becoming a thing of the past as signalling is increasingly carried out from R.O.Cs.

John

Why is that a problem?

With train detection and TCB, signallers shouldn’t need to look out of the window to operate trains safely.

Simon

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Last night was a wrexham to Liverpool light loco, the Avanti train to wrexham was cancelled so I went to shotton and met my loco there 

changing ends in dee marsh 

IMG_7392.HEIC

Into Tuebrook

IMG_7393.HEIC

Parked up with a pair of 60s

IMG_7396.HEIC

FullSizeRender(559).jpg

then it was down to hams hall for a train back to bescot 

IMG_7399.HEIC

and into bescot 

IMG_7400.HEIC

as I’ve done that that morning my job today is cancelled as I can’t catch it time wise so I’ve got a day off, back in tomorrow with Mountsorrel and Preston amongst the places I’ll be going! 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Why is that a problem?

With train detection and TCB, signallers shouldn’t need to look out of the window to operate trains safely.

Simon

In technical terms, none at all, but it introduces a physical separation and perhaps in time, a psychological one, between different parts of the railway and the people who work within them, that doesn't exist in an on-system PSB or an old-fashioned manual box. 

There's a potential danger of the job becoming too remote from the "sharp end" as we gradually develop generations of signallers who don't get to observe at first hand the realities of moving and stopping large heavy vehicles dependent on the metal-to-metal interaction of wheel on rail.  

Taking it to an extreme (but entirely logical) conclusion, the activities carried out in ROCs could even be offshored, but that would present even greater challenges to maintaining a properly interconnected workforce that can operate with real cohesion. 

There are also security considerations; the more physically remote the operating floor is from what it operates, the greater the vulnerability of the links between the two become to foes (of whatever kind) intent on disruption.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Why is that a problem?

Simon

Ask that question again after Crewe SS North has been in Manchester ROC for a few months . . .

:-)

Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

There's a potential danger of the job becoming too remote from the "sharp end" as we gradually develop generations of signallers who don't get to observe at first hand the realities of moving and stopping large heavy vehicles dependent on the metal-to-metal interaction of wheel on rail.  

4 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Ask that question again after Crewe SS North has been in Manchester ROC for a few months . . .

:-)

Paul.

prime example is an ‘operational incident’ i had the other week during degraded working, a simple red light from an adjacent box could have prevented it from happening, not saying the signaller in the ROC couldn’t have prevented it either but the delay in communication was the difference between preventing damage and actually causing it! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Yeah my wife’s up there this weekend, I was hoping to get up too but unfortunately I’ve got a stupid 6 hour job job Sunday night, typically my job tonight ends with a mossend bound train that I get off at Preston on otherwise I’d have stayed on to Carlisle and come over 

Gethin enjoys the scooter weekend and Loves dancing to the northern soul they play there, you’ll probably spot him shaking his tail feather at some point over the weekend 

4 hours ago, big jim said:

I had a good run right through to Alsager where I was put in the loop as, in the words of rhe signaller ‘we don’t run anything early in crewe’, sat there for 45 minutes, departure time came and went so I rang him only to discover there was a points failure stopping me getting out of the loop, s+t finally turned up and changed a fuse and I ended up leaving there almost an hour late! 

Tried this business of holding trains to time once, more bloody stressful than pulling off and keep them moving regardless 🙃 

Edited by Gareth 73
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Depends which signaller is on normally, some just want you gone, others won’t have you away, officially your supposed to wait for time as any delays caused to other trains by you running early would go down to the signaller 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/09/2022 at 03:58, big jim said:

had a good run right through to Alsager where I was put in the loop as, in the words of rhe signaller ‘we don’t run anything early in crewe’, sat there for 45 minutes,

In my younger days on the railway we used to call the northern approach to Crewe " Stop'em'all Junction"

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

In my younger days on the railway we used to call the northern approach to Crewe " Stop'em'all Junction"

That was also the name for the west endvpanel st the old Leeds PSB, there was a notice with stopem all junction on the small panel at Hunslet by the old wagon works after Wakefield Road closed.

Jamie