RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

40 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Strange thing is that I was underneath Shrewsbury station at the time that you arrived, Jim.  I was in the Park and Ride bus heading back to the out of town car park as you arrived - according to RTT which I had open on my phone at the time.  We've got to stop not quite meeting like this when you're round here!!!!

And hey, that was some late arrival today - about 50 down all the way.

50 minutes down to ensure he didn't bump into you on the platform, sounds like he timed it just right.  🤣

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

50 minutes down to ensure he didn't bump into you on the platform, sounds like he timed it just right.  🤣

That was today, we had another of our close encounters yesterday - that's five of them so far!!!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, big jim said:

same tomorrow 

So where do you stay overnight  Shrewsbury or Bromsgrove?  Im guessing that you don't brave the A49 from Crewe every time!

12 minutes ago, big jim said:

We have met once face to face though in carnforth many years back

Yes, I do recall that now

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 45156 said:

So where do you stay overnight  Shrewsbury or Bromsgrove?  Im guessing that you don't brave the A49 from Crewe every time!

I drive from crewe to Bromsgrove in the early hours (M6/M5) and then drive home from shrewsbury at the end, it’s not too bad except the M5 is closed at J2 so i had to divert via the A38 last night but it wasn’t too bad as I went a different direction to the main motorway traffic

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ray H said:

Is the new bridge one that will be slewed over as a replacement for the existing one?

No it’s on its permanent base now, dropped in place over the previous weekend I think, it’s only a couple of tracks wide compared to the existing 6 track wide bridge, I’ll have to have a look at the HS2 maps to see if I can figure it out

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, CazRail said:

I've been working around Dee Marsh on nights the past couple of weeks as picop, such a shame the amount of vegetation there. 

Is they yard still DB or is it GBRf now?

It’s certainly a jungle in the yard now, there were guys chopping it back in the neck toward shotwick last week, the yard itself is still DB  

3 hours ago, big jim said:

It’s certainly a jungle in the yard now, there were guys chopping it back in the neck toward shotwick last week, the yard itself is still DB  

I thought it was still DB. 

We were accessing through the sidings at Shotwick couple of nights last week, was surprised to see the ground position lights still working. Just a shame nothing's been in there for a good number of years now.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, dunwurken said:

Why try and send you on a five hour trip when a two hour one was available?

It’s an as required path that goes via routes that lots of drivers sign so it can be covered easier (even if it takes 3 drivers to do the route as a whole) whereas I sign the ‘unusual’ direct route via uttoxeter and derby to clay cross so can ask to do that instead 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

19 minutes ago, big jim said:

It’s an as required path that goes via routes that lots of drivers sign so it can be covered easier (even if it takes 3 drivers to do the route as a whole) whereas I sign the ‘unusual’ direct route via uttoxeter and derby to clay cross so can ask to do that instead 

Made me think of the old Spitting Image show, when Steve Davis was looking for a nickname and he came up with 'Interesting'

We've got an LE move to do 5 hours fuel, lets give it to 'Unusual', he'll use 2 hours.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

On 16/09/2023 at 23:43, big jim said:

No it’s on its permanent base now, dropped in place over the previous weekend I think, it’s only a couple of tracks wide compared to the existing 6 track wide bridge, I’ll have to have a look at the HS2 maps to see if I can figure it out

My understanding is that two tracks will be slewed over to make room for a viaduct support for the HS2 flyover into Curzon St. 

Even though the road underneath is closed, people still try their luck. The concrete blocks are harder to move than the cones that they replaced 😁

Andy 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, SM42 said:

My understanding is that two tracks will be slewed over to make room for a viaduct support for the HS2 flyover into Curzon St. 

Even though the road underneath is closed, people still try their luck. The concrete blocks are harder to move than the cones that they replaced 😁

Andy 

Since they put the blocks in I’ve had to dodge moped riders using pavement as a thoroughfare, surprised a car hasn’t given it a try yet! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, big jim said:

Since they put the blocks in I’ve had to dodge moped riders using pavement as a thoroughfare, surprised a car hasn’t given it a try yet! 

Only a matter of time in the wild west AKA Birmingham's road network 

Andy