ROD 2-8-0s

Simple question, does anybody do an accessory pack that would allow me to convert a Bachmann 04 into the ROD version, ie Westinghouse pump and associated gubbins, two re-railing jacks, and continental buffers.

A source of suitable transfers would also be helpful as I don't much fancy lettering and numbering by hand.

Can't help with the rest (though I'd be interested if you can locate sources) but I did send Gary at 247 Developments a drawing to help him produce number plates some time ago. I still seem to be the only person wanting some, though. You might encourage him....

....does anybody do an accessory pack that would allow me to convert a Bachmann 04 into the ROD version, ie Westinghouse pump and associated gubbins, two re-railing jacks, and continental buffers.

There is no pack as such. At present you have to buy the bits separately from the likes of 247 Developments and Markits. As far as I know, nobody admits to producing the Continental-type buffer stocks, so you're on your own there.

I would recommend that you use the "GW"-liveried Bachmann O4 as your starting point, because this has the correct footplate to start with (the LNE/BR-liveried versions have a flared-out section over the cylinders which is too long)

Thanks for that both; 247 it is and I'll have to live with the buffer shanks.

I hadn't realised there was that flare in the Great Central build footplate not carried over to the RODs but I think I'll have to live with it as I'm already in possession of the loco and don't much fancy major surgery

.... I'll have to live with the buffer shanks......

It occurs to me that the German firm Weinert does produce some exquisite Continental buffers, but they are 3.5mm scale, not 4mm. They are obtainable via Three-Point-Five, the only UK stockist / retailer of Weinert products.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if anyone here is interested but the 13  ROD's in Australia had brackets for a Westinghouse air pump although the air pumps and associated 'gubbins' was never fitted as the coal trains they hauled were all 'non air' (handbrake only) A cast metal number plate adorned the cabsides (GWR style) and the buffer barrels were fluted. The buffer heads themselves (round front and back) had round holes in the center. The whistle was on the cab roof. The smokebox door handle was the round wheel type similar to the Bachmann 'Super D' They had an electric headlight fitted below the smokebox door and powered by a battery.

I don't think Bachmann has done one in HO scale or even thought about it.

Hello,

Further to faulcon1's comments, here is an image of ex-Richmond Vale Railway No.23, in Broadmedow locomotive depot, NSW, awaiting transfer to a museum in 1974.

You can clearly see the ex-ROD European style buffers, the smokebox dart, safety chains and the whistle on the roof.

The Westinghouse brake pump used to be on the side of the smokebox, where the extra piece of handrail is drooping. The foundations for the mounting brackets are still in place.

I'm sorry about the colour - my old slides are not what they used to be!

Regards,

Rob

post-17793-0-81677000-1374015104_thumb.jpg

No.23 apparently lies dismantled at Richmond Vale Railway Museum. Seems that there was a scheme to overhaul it, but it fell by the wayside after being dismantled. God only knows what will happen to it now. Same goes for surviving sisters no.s 20 and 24 at Dorrigo.

Further to Robs post, I was able to take some photos last year up at Dorrigo of #20 and #24, includind a few detail shots (camera phone I'm afraid) and the only remaining North British ROD:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/2280-dorrigo-steam-railway-and-museum/

#23 is certainly dismantled at the RVR. Her boiler in 2011 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d/ROD_23_Boiler.jpg, and some shots of her dismantled in 2003

(none are mine). #24 is rumoured to have a good boiler, but I don't know how true this is.

Also, discussing Dorrigo and the RODs with a mate the other day, he told me that one of the RODs bought by J&A Brown (and never conclusivly proved to be one of the Dorrigo lot) was the engine used to convey (name slipped my mind, will add here when remembered) to the 1918 Armistice in France. If anyone knows that engine's ROD or builders #, I'd love to hear it.

RCTS vol.6B states that the Armistice engine was ROD 1615 which became Brown's no.21. This apparently was the engine which hauled the train conveying Marshal Foch to the signing ceremony.

No.21 was cut up due to its poor condition, and no.23 was saved instead. At one point it assumed no.21's identity, but only temporarily.

Dorrigo looks like it will need millions of dollars to develop its potential. At the moment it mostly looks like a giant scrapyard, and you have to wonder if any of the engines that have stood on site for so many years will ever work again. At least they don't suffer much from metal theft.

Archived