Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Ready for tiling.

This morning the curator of Immingham museum ( didn't even know they  had one)  called in and he was clutching the MR supplement with me in it and after asking me if I could walk on water and me telling him yes, there's two of us actually, he asked me if I would set up an exhibition in his museum that I didn't know he had so after demonstrating my walk on water trick where I immediately sank to the bottom of Immingham dock like a lead brick, I was given the plans of Grimsby Station to look at and quote for - and I'm supposed to be retired !

Anyway, I'm off to get a bit of walking on water practice in...

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-51385000-1399573796_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-59047000-1399573820_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-42387500-1399573832_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-03932200-1399573874_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The only two times I've been to Grimsby was a day release from College. My course got to go to the Birds Eye pea freezing facility, the other course got to go to Lyon, and then some time later, I stood at the bus station waiting for my dad to pick me up, he was stood in a different bus station waiting for me to arrive, all before mobile phones...

• Like 1

Grimsby was once a buzzing town, plenty of employment, the greatest fishing port in the world but now ?

It's a ghost town full of shops but no shoppers.

To many people Grimsby is a joke, but to many others it's their home. They helped to build it then stood by helpless in it's decline.

But the people still know how to smile, even though they've got very little left to smile about.

And I bet you thought you'd never hear a Londoner say that !

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1

"I was given the plans of Grimsby Station to look at and quote for - and I'm supposed to be retired !"

No problem Allan! Just offer to do the job for expense's together with the fact that a month in a secluded beachfront house in the Bahamas accompanied by Mrs. D would be a wonderful help in keeping your mind on the job in hand!

Regards

Bill

Having just written that why do I get the strange feeling that Allan will be posting the first pictures of the platforms and main station building sometime around Saturday?

As a Grimbarian ... Born and Bred I have to agree wholeheartedly with Allan when he says the town has declined over the years but on the whole we know how to laugh and smile at ourselves as well as laugh at others.

Grimsby train station would be a great model for you to make Allan and as that would probably only be a short afternoons work for you.

Maybe a model  of the town hall /municiple offices and the old Registry office building might keep you busy for an extra couple of hours. ???  Personally i would love to see these replicated in your own unbelievable way..

OK guys, got the pics at last, this is Hemyock built 8 years ago but I'm afraid the scanned pictures are rather grainy and I don't know why.

Anyway, it's got to be a welcome break from Tudor !

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-55831000-1399894694_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-23743900-1399894711_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-40279800-1399894730_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-85180700-1399894751_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-52668700-1399894859.jpgpost-18579-0-68404200-1399894924.jpgpost-18579-0-92306400-1399894990.jpgpost-18579-0-66033100-1399895047.jpgpost-18579-0-96705900-1399895089.jpgpost-18579-0-45096800-1399895220.jpg

post-18579-0-21887300-1399895185.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Allan,

the graininess might be because you didn't select 'Descreen' on your scanner (presuming it has that facility). 

I've lost count of the number of things I've scanned, then seeing the results thought, 'DOH!', forgot to set descreen! :fool:

Hi Allan,

the graininess might be because you didn't select 'Descreen' on your scanner (presuming it has that facility). 

I've lost count of the number of things I've scanned, then seeing the results thought, 'DOH!', forgot to set descreen! :fool:

Thanks for that Adams442T.

Well I managed to descreen then couldn't save the pics and lost them all.

So, I went back again and no matter what I tried, I couldn't descreen again so I'll just have to put up with grainy pictures - but, how come all previous pictures that I scanned never came out grainy ?

Boy, how I hate time wasting over complicated computers...

Cheers.

Allan.

"Boy, how I hate time wasting over complicated computers..."

No doubt the experts would tell us that computers are actually extremely simple and that it's us, the user, who makes it complicated!

I only wish those 'experts' were clever enough to tell the bl**dy computers that..........

Regards

Bill :O

Hi Bill,

Computers are full of tutorial nerds trying to out do each other  with computer speak at the expense of the every day users like us.

Each has twenty pages on how to perform a simple task that a five year old can do in five minutes and that  twenty pages will be even more confusing (and just as useless) than anyone else's twenty pages  ! 

And that's the problem with computers - all the programming is left in the hands of fresh out of college american nerds who's heads are crammed full of utter useless crap that could land a space ship on mars but not one of them could change a tap washer !!

I need therapy after trying to come to terms with my bloody  Cannon Scanner and its over complicated and unescessary instructions ...

Cheers.

Allan.

Just read the booklet that came with Model Rail. Fantastic read with some great pictures.

Models, guitars and cars. What ever next, will this man ever retire?

I can only assume as a Mercedes Benz lover Allan is avidly watching this years F1 season while modelling. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Allan

I'm very excited about the build a Tudor building competition, so much so that I've bought a wooden kit to get me started in the medium. It's 1" to 1' scale. It looks like a shake the box style of kit, and it seems to come with everything I need (I know, a beginners kit, but you have to start somewhere). Anyway, it'll come together to form a Swedish prototype with a brown/black livery. Weathering will take place at a later date and will probably be ongoing.

Anyway, must get on, I'm literally working in my drawers...

post-14192-0-57344400-1399916803_thumb.jpg

Just read the booklet that came with Model Rail. Fantastic read with some great pictures.

Models, guitars and cars. What ever next, will this man ever retire?

I can only assume as a Mercedes Benz lover Allan is avidly watching this years F1 season while modelling.

I too have just read the booklet at a friends house and it's a fascinating insight about the man who is Mr.Modeller !

So, having been inspired I thought I'd give it a go on a test piece.

post-20303-0-21308100-1399920033_thumb.jpg

As they say " Anything you can do, have a go yourself !"

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2

Hi Allan

I'm very excited about the build a Tudor building competition, so much so that I've bought a wooden kit to get me started in the medium. It's 1" to 1' scale. It looks like a shake the box style of kit, and it seems to come with everything I need (I know, a beginners kit, but you have to start somewhere). Anyway, it'll come together to form a Swedish prototype with a brown/black livery. Weathering will take place at a later date and will probably be ongoing.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I bought an IKEA bookcase recently JCL - most definitely ex MFI !

Cheers.

Allan

And what's wrong with my garden hedge and carport roof may I ask ?

.Folk travel hundreds of miles just to look at them, some even bring a pic-nic and make a day of it while others make a long weekend of it photographing both, going for long walks around Immingham docks  then go home and sell the pictures to ITV..

Check both out here, signed copies available.

Cheers.

Backdrop Of Distinction - And me.

attachicon.gifROOF AND HEDGE 002.JPGattachicon.gifROOF AND HEDGE 003.JPG

The big hedge looks like it was modelled on Half Dome in the Yosemite. The rest look like Allan just likes a nicely trimmed bush.

I know. Hat, jacket ...............

I bought an IKEA bookcase recently JCL - most definitely ex MFI !

Cheers.

Allan

If you've got the tele on try Channel 5 DIY Disasters !

Think I'll stick to modelling, seems much easier!?!

Thank you for the like Allan :)

P.S. Having now retired from the world of real work I'm always looking to save a few bob! The colour dye used for my test piece was about half that of the Colron dye, bought from Wilkinsons store. Seems to do the job just as well.

Edited by bgman

Hi Allan

I'm very excited about the build a Tudor building competition, so much so that I've bought a wooden kit to get me starteI would return this to the sender d in the medium. It's 1" to 1' scale. It looks like a shake the box style of kit, and it seems to come with everything I need (I know, a beginners kit, but you have to start somewhere). Anyway, it'll come together to form a Swedish prototype with a brown/black livery. Weathering will take place at a later date and will probably be ongoing.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I would return anything from this manufacturer as unfit for purpose.

OK guys, got the pics at last, this is Hemyock built 8 years ago but I'm afraid the scanned pictures are rather grainy and I don't know why.

Anyway, it's got to be a welcome break from Tudor !

Cheers.

Allan.

That's a nice surprise coming across that today Allan, I never knew you had made a version of Hemyock but then again I don't think I was doing or reading any modelling around that time.

I bet it took you a lot less time than mine is taking me. It looks very good.

Thanks for posting 

Jim

Hi Allan

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And you know it won't fit together as per the instructions, I always use a 'broad range ' of language when building such things!