"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Well, I can't compete with all this pop-up pub building! I am but a tortoise compared to Road Runner Downes! Such consistency and excellence...and speed!

However, I have three projects on the bench just now, one which I can't show at the moment because the customer hasn't seen it yet. The others..well, one is a row of buildings again...a half timbered mock-tudor roadhouse, a chip shop and hotel all in 2mm scale. They are not finished yet, but here are some in-progress shots and I will be writing the whole slugging match up on my blog soon.

post-18033-0-09920000-1425937356.jpg

post-18033-0-47034500-1425937395.jpg

The pub has been started again- mk.1 is above in the photo, because I wasn't happy with the bay windows, or the height compared with the buildings it had to sit next to. The next job on the bench, which has now progressed a bit further than this is a 4mm scale distribution depot for the blue era out of foamex and Will's vertical "steel" sheets:

post-18033-0-45580300-1425937654.jpg

The last thing is Kingsbridge Goods Shed which I will show once my customer has OK'd the images and the model!

cheers for now,

Iain

• Like 7

Iain, the mind boggles.

How on earth do you produce such quality work in such a tight scale ? I cant even see 2mm on a ruler let alone work in it !

You scrapped a building because you weren't happy with a bay.

Well I know what you mean where I have often gone to bed knowing full well that in the morning I will be scrapping a building that was bugging me the day before - like that thatched cottage where everyone couldn't see anything wrong with it while I couldn't find anything right !

Folks are always saying how fast I am but I have to be to make up lost time for all the crap that gets chucked in the bin !

Cheers.

Allan

Edited by allan downes

Still up at this time guys? And I thought I was the night owl!

Regards

Bill

Petra has a job to finish for tomorrow, so I am providing tea and encouragement...and doing a bit of modelmaking/struggling with bits of card that don't want to do anything :-)

cheers,

Iain

• Like 2

Iain, a tantalising glimpse... The 2mm buildings look brilliant - how did you do the stonework?

I like the look of the distribution shed.

I haven't used scribed foamex for some time, merely using it as a substrate, but I've a long-put-aside row of cottages waiting for an airing

Iain, a tantalising glimpse... The 2mm buildings look brilliant - how did you do the stonework?

I like the look of the distribution shed.

I haven't used scribed foamex for some time, merely using it as a substrate, but I've a long-put-aside row of cottages waiting for an airing

Hi Lee! The stonework is simply scribed foamex, with cameo cutter-cut quoins- try saying that after a couple of pints :-) Glad you like the embryonic distribution depot.

cheers,

Iain

Quote from previous post above "Aw thanks Lee!  Just seen your signal box...tasty!"

So....... How tasty is your signal box ? "

With apologies to Captain Kernow !  :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/NiTFNLjy8Uk"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stands well back !

Er..... Are there any sausages being served in there Allan ?

Sorry, I've hogged your site enough today, keep it going, tea and biscuits at midnight eh!

Cheers

Grahame

Er..... Are there any sausages being served in there Allan ?

Sorry, I've hogged your site enough today, keep it going, tea and biscuits at midnight eh!

Cheers

Grahame

Nope, no bangers Graham  can't afford 'em, it's just plain ol'  hard tack and gruel,  routine modelmakers fodder - why do you think Robinson's so thin ?

Hog the site as much as you want mate, that's what it's all about. Share and share alike so G, keep it comin' !

Cheers.

Allan.

Seeing as you mention it...

Allan, remember when I photoshopped your mill scene and you told me about mixing pva with green leaves?

Here is my effort to recreate ivy on my terraced house. Been waiting for a cast to dry and thought I would have a go!

First thing about this model I have really liked so thanks for the tip!

post-21051-0-76823900-1426033697_thumb.jpg

Pete

Edited by Peterkern23
  • Like 9

Allan, remember when I photoshopped your mill scene and you told me about mixing pva with green leaves?

Here is my effort to recreate ivy on my terraced house. Been waiting for a cast to dry and thought I would have a go!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Pete

Hi Pete,

Looks like I'm hogging this site a bit more! ( with Allan' s permission -see above)

Nice work again, can I ask the which "green leaves" you've used to get the ivy effect please ? Very effective !

Regards

Grahame

Nope, no bangers Graham  can't afford 'em, it's just plain ol'  hard tack and gruel,  routine modelmakers fodder - why do you think Robinson's so thin ?

Hog the site as much as you want mate, that's what it's all about. Share and share alike so G, keep it comin' !

Cheers.

Allan.

Not sure about your physique Allan, but if you make a figurine of yourself next the pub I could probably give you a better and informed answer LOL

Cheers for now,

Grahame

I have no idea to tell you the truth. They are just green 1mm wood chip scatter that I have in a Doritos jar.

I have drybrushed them with various greens and yellows for tonal variation. So I don't think the base colour matters really.

Edited by Peterkern23

• RMweb Gold

Amazing how effective those leaves are.  Great work Peter.  You appear to have put on some stems prior to applying the leaves which is a nice touch.

In the past I had a problem with the colour fading on woodchip scatter.  The mixing with PVA may well prevent that.

I don't know why you feel down about these houses.  They look good and I'm sure will be raised significantly once you finish detailing the windows.  I think you are being far too harsh on yourself.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Pete

Beautiful job, Pete. The ivy is wonderful...and all the little details that add believability like the flashing on the bay roofs, all studied and replicated from real life. Excellent work.

cheers,

Iain