"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

• RMweb Gold

A single blade chucked in the recycling may get stuck in something else or in someone's finger or simply end up in landfill because it is too difficult to sort it from the bulk of the waste.  A pile of blades packed inside a suitable container that holds everything together will get picked out, probably automatically by a magnet, and recycled along with the rest of the ferrous metals.

On a similar topic, it was bugging me that our local recycling system didn't cater for aluminium foil, so I made a few phone calls and eventually established that although I could not put foil in the recycling bin (we have one wheelie bin for rubbish and one for recycling) I could collect it over a period of time and put it into a can bank.  So we now save all our milk bottle tops, foil wrappers and roasting foil, and when I have several can-sized balls of foil I put them into can bank the next time I pass one.  Dead simple and requires little effort.  (The reason it bugged me was that recycled aluminium uses 5% of the energy needed to make the stuff from scratch.)

With only a little thought, recycling is dead easy.

• Like 3

Iain how do you scribe stonework when working in 2mm scale? I tried yesterday onto foam board but trying to see scribed white lines on a bl***y white piece of board made my eyes pop out. And what do you scribe with? I used a sharp pointy thing ( technical term I think ) but my courses were nearly as wide as my stones. Maybe 2mm wasn't the wisest choice I could have made

Pete

Thanks very much to everyone who took the trouble to answer my little enquiry about scrap sharps. There is a facility at Boston Lodge for metals, but encouraged by you lot,  I phoned  the council again and got an actually intelligent person instead of the moron I spoke to last- and she said that Harlech "recycling facility" (tip) would take the blades if I spoke to someone rather than just chucking them in the metals skip. So problem solved! Thanks guys. :imsohappy:

cheers,

Iain

Edited by Iain C Robinson
  • Like 3

Iain how do you scribe stonework when working in 2mm scale? I tried yesterday onto foam board but trying to see scribed white lines on a bl***y white piece of board made my eyes pop out. And what do you scribe with? I used a sharp pointy thing ( technical term I think ) but my courses were nearly as wide as my stones. Maybe 2mm wasn't the wisest choice I could have made

Pete

Hi Pete,

I'm sorry that you are having trouble scribing...in that scale, it is not easy. I generally coat the board with a light wash of dark grey paint...black is useless, but grey helps you see where you are while scribing. It also depends on the stonework. Coursed style is relatively easy, but snecked is a swine and for that I actually draw the stonework on first, leaving a slight indentation, then I rub thinned paint into it so that I can tell when I've scribed it.  I use a massive magnifying light, too.  For actual scribing I use a small screwdriver that I have ground down with the dremel until it has a fine point, then blunted the point so that it is slighty rounded but still pointy, (technical terms again). Depending on the brand of Foamex that you are using, if the point is too sharp it will pull or drag the scribe mark into a tear...and the foamex is not that easy to sand down.  I know Lee Robinson, one of the leading exponents of Foamex, uses a specially ground dart, but anything pointy that fits your hand comfortably will do. I also have a set of dentist's probes which are handy...they were on sale from Boots a while ago although I get mine from my very nice compatriot at my local dental surgery. 

Putting a texture on the stones, I use a slightly smaller point, from a set of dividers that I have butchered until they are only half the instrument they were. Lee uses the knurled side of the dart in 4mm which is a clever idea...I have not tried that yet. I hope you get on well with the scribing and don't forget to post photos of your model on here, I would be very keen to see how you get on.

cheers,

Iain

Er.....have you modelled a flight case too Allan ? Most realistic in your third photograph, but I think it's being overshadowed by a model of a pub ! :)

More good stuff eh !

Grahame

Mothers day today (  another billion dollar rip off manufactured by greeting card moguls who drive Rolls Royces in tandum and live in several castles at once ) which meant hoards of kids most of whom I've never heard of let alone seen before so not much gone done today.

Cheers.

Allan

post-18579-0-21199000-1426441695_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-40771300-1426441708_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-00904600-1426441731_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-93721700-1426441741_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-27417500-1426441760_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-04927400-1426441778_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-06719800-1426441794_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-46962600-1426441820_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed this thread has reached 200 pages. Doesn't seem long it got to 100; the best and most interesting 200 pages I've read in a long time.

• Like 1

This last pub of yours Allan reminds me of one here in Tasmania. The Parattah Hotel (now private residence) in the central midlands. It's stands next to the old railway yards and I thought it was the station being so close to the main line tracks. I'm unable to upload a photo but here's the web address if you would like to view it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/parattahLove your work and this thread. cheers, Tex. PS The unloading crane is across from the pub.

Edited by Tassie Tex
  • Like 3

I put my blunted blades into a steel moneybox tin,clearly labelled SHARPS.

But what do you do when the tin is full ?

I'm one of those lucky people who don't get to the local doctor/ surgery / pharmacy / hospital very often. But all these have disposal Sharps containers.

Has anyone tried asking (nicely) if a modeller could use the facility to dispose of his/her used scalpels etc. ?

Edited by DonB

I'm one of hose lucky people who don't get to the local doctor/ surgery / pharmacy / hospital very often. But all these have disposal Sharps containers.

Has anyone tried asking (nicely) if a modeller could use the facility to dispose of his/her used scalpels etc. ?

That's a sound idea, but judging by the number of blades Iain has to dispose of they'd probably have to supply him with boxes on the National Health! :O :o :O

Regards

Bill

Here's a couple of photos of the work in progress with the 1930's 2mm scale roadhouse and the chippy next door. These are for Paul Churchill's N gauge Tormouth layout. I've still to put these on a base and there's an etched brass inn sign which has yet to arrive plus chimney pots.  Construction is a mix of foamex, styrene, card and of course, Cameo-cut windows and quoins. 

The Roadhouse is a rough copy of the "Boot" in Baldock, converted/scaled down for 2mm low relief, while the hotel is a copy of the Forth View Hotel in Aberlour. The chippy has a detailed interior.

cheers,

Iain

post-18033-0-71776700-1426529096.jpg

post-18033-0-94956100-1426529101.jpg

post-18033-0-28711100-1426529108.jpg

• Like 7

This last pub of yours Allan reminds me of one here in Tasmania. The Parattah Hotel (now private residence) in the central midlands. It's stands next to the old railway yards and I thought it was the station being so close to the main line tracks. I'm unable to upload a photo but here's the web address if you would like to view it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/parattahLove your work and this thread. cheers, Tex. PS The unloading crane is across from the pub.

Thanks for that Tex,might have a go at that.

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1

That's a sound idea, but judging by the number of blades Iain has to dispose of they'd probably have to supply him with boxes on the National Health! :O :o :O

Regards

Bill

I use a small thinners can and when full screw the lid on and it's safe to go in the recycling.

• Like 4