"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Hi Alan,

i do love that Chester ESq type building, superbe, I never get asked to do those :-(

cheers

Peter

You don't want to believe me - bloody hard way to earn a crust !

The client at the time wanted the ENTIRE Chester Rows but after that lot, I talked him out of it !

Cheers.

Allan.

Hi Alan,

looks brilliant, were they freelance or based on prototypes?

superbe

Peter

Well kind of half and half Peter.

What I normaly do, and if a faithfull reproduction isn't important to the client (after I've convniced  him that it isn't anyway !) is to build an interpretation from postcards or whatever (my golden rule: never go outside the workshop to build anything !) so what you see here is a blatant mix of Guildford, Chester, Tunbridge and pure invention, and pure invention is so much easier to build as you're not hung up whith what is where what isn't just cannot attract comparisons and thus hence, criticism ! 

Cheers.

Allan.

Edited by allan downes

That's an intresting model, what might it be?

It looks tasty

Peter

Thanks, Peter -

It's the offices for a foundry...I'm building the main part of the foundry as we speak. It's supposed to be an old established premises that has undergone extensive modernisation into the 1960's, so lots of filled in windows and doors to the rear elevation, which I'll post here when I've finished painting it.

cheers,

Iain

I like the underpinnings on those jettied upperworks...beautiful, Allan! I do like a good hanging buttress.

Picture frame moulding Iain, slice it up, or use it whole.

Cheers

Allan.

PS: pray tell me, what is a "Hanging Buttress" ?!

Picture frame moulding Iain, slice it up, or use it whole.

Cheers

Allan.

PS: pray tell me, what is a "Hanging Buttress" ?!

Ah, yes, I remember you mentioned picture framing a long time back...very clever. The hanging buttress...in my excitement at glimpsing this new direction that your modelling had taken I mixed up "flying buttress" with hanging something or other. I can only blame my subconscious.  I know that you are a master of the flying type, witness your ....bl@@dy cathedral....

Anyway, thanks for reminding me about the picture frames. I really thought I had managed a comeback after the business of the ecclesiastical structures, but you've done it again!

cheers,

Iain

I've delved deep into the archives, which I keep down an old slate mine high in the Ffestiniog hills... here's a couple of photos from an article in the August 1982 (!) Railway Modeller of a farm I built for Lionel Currie. Part of the farm was made from a master pattern that I had done for Malvern Models...they were going to cast it in resin and market it alongside the range of accessories I had made for them, except that they didn't. I wonder what happened to those... the re-used bit was of Fairford GWR, I wonder if you can spot it?

cheers,

Iain

post-18033-0-86330300-1367650306_thumb.jpg

post-18033-0-11892000-1367650327.jpg

post-18033-0-59130000-1367650351_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Note the "much use of wood dyes" in the caption...I wonder where I got that idea??

Same place you got all your other ideas from !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The Fairford bit" - would that be the building to the left of the farm gates ?

Anyway Iain, I really can't believe that Lionel Curry would actually want someone to build for him, I mean the man was a born Master....weird.

Brilliant modelling though as usual Iain, even if it was my idea !!!!!

Cheers.

Allan

Edited by allan downes

Ah, yes, I remember you mentioned picture framing a long time back...very clever. The hanging buttress...in my excitement at glimpsing this new direction that your modelling had taken I mixed up "flying buttress" with hanging something or other. I can only blame my subconscious.  I know that you are a master of the flying type, witness your ....bl@@dy cathedral....

Anyway, thanks for reminding me about the picture frames. I really thought I had managed a comeback after the business of the ecclesiastical structures, but you've done it again!

cheers,

Iain

bl@@dy  Robinson code folks meaning "I can't bloody beat that" !!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's strange how some things stick with you, and Iain's "A farm for all regions" RM article of August '82 part of which features above is one such - along with "Lineside Industry" (Feb '80) and "Logan's Stores" (Sept '80). I still have the pages from the Modeller, filed away in a slim ring binder of ideas and inspirations. I'd have been 10 and 12 when those articles appeared, they inspired me then, and still do now. And I've still not managed to achieve anything close that standard!

But thank you for the reminder, perhaps it's now time for me to revisit those yellowing pages, dig out the card and clay and finally have a go! 

• Like 1

It's strange how some things stick with you, and Iain's "A farm for all regions" RM article of August '82 part of which features above is one such - along with "Lineside Industry" (Feb '80) and "Logan's Stores" (Sept '80). I still have the pages from the Modeller, filed away in a slim ring binder of ideas and inspirations. I'd have been 10 and 12 when those articles appeared, they inspired me then, and still do now. And I've still not managed to achieve anything close that standard!

But thank you for the reminder, perhaps it's now time for me to revisit those yellowing pages, dig out the card and clay and finally have a go! 

Thank you, Adrian! I've had a good look at your blog...Mortimore's yard is rather good to say the least...I will enjoy further exploring the excellent Westonmouth chronicles at liesure.

I'm immensely flattered that you saved my articles all this time, and that my work was inspiration in some small way. And you are well up to my standard if not miles better.   The lineside industry article...I have been asked to do that model again for three separate customers, yet I have to confess I just made it up as I went along. This klind of thing is a very pleasant antidote to the more stressful architects and industrial modelmaking that I also do, where there is no room for character or idiosyncracy. Thank goodness for railway modelling!

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1

Same place you got all your other ideas from !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The Fairford bit" - would that be the building to the left of the farm gates ?

Anyway Iain, I really can't believe that Lionel Curry would actually want someone to build for him, I mean the man was a born Master....weird.

Brilliant modelling though as usual Iain, even if it was my idea !!!!!

Cheers.

Allan

Well, Allan, you are so much older more experienced than me, you can't blame me for using good ideas :angel:

Yes, that is the Fairford bit...I was deeply disappointed when they didn't produce the model.

I agree, I don't know why Lionel commissioned me to build for him. He was a great customer in terms of letting me get away with building whatever I fancied. Where are you, Lionel? Come and tell Allan you did commission those models!!

cheers,

Iain

Well, Allan, you are so much older more experienced than me, you can't blame me for using good ideas :angel:

Yes, that is the Fairford bit...I was deeply disappointed when they didn't produce the model.

I agree, I don't know why Lionel commissioned me to build for him. He was a great customer in terms of letting me get away with building whatever I fancied. Where are you, Lionel? Come and tell Allan you did commission those models!!

cheers,

Iain

Weirder still Iain, is that he was commissioning you to build for him at about the same time as I was 'tuitioning' him - maybe he thought you were cheaper than me but - and NO! not because of  what you're thinking either !!!!

Cheers

Allan.

I am sure I would have been a little cheaper lol as I hadn't finished my "apprenticeship" and at that point my work wasn't up on a par with you (if it ever has been!). Strange story, that one. I had several other clients after Lionel's last commission but none of them had ambitions to be a modelmaker like our Mr Currie.

One customer was a musician who had played with folk like Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis, and was doing session work for Elton John among others...great fun ...another was a retired army brigadier who had a gigantic "OO" system based on the Highland railway in a huge barn behind the house. That kept me going for a few years...I remember assembling and painting literally hundreds of private owner wagons for him, then many structures, none of which I have photographs of...very frustrating! His wife would appear outside the back door and ring a hand  bell when it was time for tea. Lovely folk.

Back to my current model, which I will show once the clay has dried...just had a classic Robinson botch-up when I remembered that I was going to run a narrow gauge track into the building...almost too late, but with the help of the Dremel I managed to dig a trench for the trackwork!! Doh!

cheers,

Iain

• Like 2

Dear Allan & Iain.

I humbly prostrate myself in your God like presence.This thread is an awesome display of modelling genius,not to mention humour.At this point I suppose I should say I've found it inspiring,but I think it has only depressed me.I propose to retire to my cellar and live as a recluse,until I can produce something half as good as what you two do.

I,m just going to my cellar now,I may be gone sometime.

• Like 4

Dear Allan & Iain.

I humbly prostrate myself in your God like presence.This thread is an awesome display of modelling genius,not to mention humour.At this point I suppose I should say I've found it inspiring,but I think it has only depressed me.I propose to retire to my cellar and live as a recluse,until I can produce something half as good as what you two do.

Hey Iainp,

There's no need to go that far, hiding yourself away in a cellar, but I know a modeller who ,amongst other things best not discussed here, that does it all the time and burries himself down the nearest hole  when the going gets tough, and only surfaces when he thinks I'm not around !!

Cheers.

Allan

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 3

Dear Allan & Iain.

Iain, please don't go to the cellar. I can assure you that although my models look reasonably presentable in the photos, they are the result of a haphazard and sometimes fantastical construction sequence where more mistakes are made than anything else...it's a wonder anything comes out properly.  As for Allan, well, he actually commissions me to make his models then knocks them about a bit so that they don't look quite as good. Sometimes he will have a go himself with bits of Airfix kits or Superquick...it sometimes comes out quite well... :jester:

• Like 1

Iain, please don't go to the cellar. I can assure you that although my models look reasonably presentable in the photos, they are the result of a haphazard and sometimes fantastical construction sequence where more mistakes are made than anything else...it's a wonder anything comes out properly.  As for Allan, well, he actually commissions me to make his models then knocks them about a bit so that they don't look quite as good. Sometimes he will have a go himself with bits of Airfix kits or Superquick...it sometimes comes out quite well... :jester:

Oh sxxt, rumbled by a bloody Scotsman!!!