"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

We really need a 'double like' button for some of these masterpieces!!

Ian

I agree. Lovely dereliction Iain. Are the barrels scratch built or off the shelf items? I need a few bits and pieces to finish my signal box/lamp hut scene and was thinking of how to make some barrels.

I agree. Lovely dereliction Iain. Are the barrels scratch built or off the shelf items? I need a few bits and pieces to finish my signal box/lamp hut scene and was thinking of how to make some barrels.

Thanks, Lee. The barrels are from Ratio accessory pack 514, "Pallets, sacks and barrels", £3.45 from Rhuddlan Models (www.rhuddlanmodels.co.uk) but you might be able to get them cheaper from Gaugemaster or indeed, Ebay.

Slaters also do barrels but they come in two halves thus leaving a seam showing but a good coat of rust paint soon hides it.

Anyway, talking of rust, does anyone remember that rusting product that came in two bottles that when mixed, produced real rust - one bottle contained an iron paste, the other an oxidising agent (little more than battery acid!) that was absolutely brilliant and, because it was, it was taken off the market - it in its own way it's how car manufacturers work - if it's too reliable we won't sell any spares so make it as unreliable as possible - but in my experience, Henry Ford had this all sown up way back in Detroit with his Model T  - yes, I had one ! 

• Like 2

Well, it looks like this Thread has run its course, so with all thanks to Iain C R and all you that suffered our diatribe, as a parting shot, I leave you with this - a superquick castle that Iain tarted up for me !

post-18579-0-63827500-1368124827.jpg

• Like 5

Awww...I was just about to roll out that Union Pacific Mallet that I made out of Das and card... :(  Thanks, Allan, for showing all these wonderful models off and reminding us that you are still the guv'nor! Anyway at least now I dont have to worry about that bloomin' cathedral...

• Like 3

Thanks guys, if this thread has indeed run its course, it's been a blast - a real eye opener and a definite treat. I've enjoyed it immensely as a huge inspiration. I'm now off to go and roof my station! (no barrels as yet - my hand built idea hit a dead end...)

• Like 2

Awww...I was just about to roll out that Union Pacific Mallet that I made out of Das and card... :(  Thanks, Allan, for showing all these wonderful models off and reminding us that you are still the guv'nor! Anyway at least now I dont have to worry about that bloomin' cathedral...

I think we're ALL guvners Iain all in our own different ways, including the great Guys that helped make the Thread a great success - 4,500 hits can't be bad for two ol' has beens like us !

A huge big thanks to everybody.

Allan, the better half of the duelling duo!!!!

• Like 2

And finaly a few closing shots all thanks to Peter Leyland who took the trouble to Email me them for downloading.

Thanks Peter.

So, Pyruma and home made stone press days, and the very first photo's that Tony Wright took of my work - and of course, there's a story attatched - a clash of personalities that ended up as the greatest of friends !

post-18579-0-34079200-1368381115_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-78078500-1368381179_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-77785800-1368381227_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-50676000-1368381270_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Well the last time I saw Robison he was carrying a white sheet - dunno what he intended doing with it, although I've got a pretty good idea!

Picture of white sheet below v

v

v

Edited by allan downes

I'm up in the grim wastes of Aberdeen just now, beyond the wall. So you couldn't see the white sheet, Not that I waved it. 'Cause, your bl**dy cathedral don't scare me. well, OK, a bit. I am in awe of what you can do with a trade pack of  Superquick country churches and an Airfix  girder bridge kit. Anyway, any more of this cheek and I ought to tell you, I have located a nice photo of that windmill you made...and I'm not afraid to post it. :jester:  so watchit, mate!

I'm up in the grim wastes of Aberdeen just now, beyond the wall. So you couldn't see the white sheet, Not that I waved it. 'Cause, your bl**dy cathedral don't scare me. well, OK, a bit. I am in awe of what you can do with a trade pack of  Superquick country churches and an Airfix  girder bridge kit. Anyway, any more of this cheek and I ought to tell you, I have located a nice photo of that windmill you made...and I'm not afraid to post it. :jester:  so watchit, mate!

Dear  Allan.

I must state that the above post is absolutely nothing to do with me.I have no idea where he might have got the information from.

Well Iain me ol' mate, don't look like the thread's over yet so, are you ready to take up the glove again? - and I promise NO more bloody cathedrals!! unless you start hittin' me with that bloody Tetford again !!

Cbeers mate,so whataya got?!

Allan.

Well Iain me ol' mate, don't look like the thread's over yet so, are you ready to take up the glove again? - and I promise NO more bloody cathedrals!! unless you start hittin' me with that bloody Tetford again !!

Cbeers mate,so whataya got?!

Allan.

IainP told me to mention the windmill, he said it would throw you off the scent...but it didn't, did it?

I am currently encamped in a tundra-like waste fondly called Inverurie by the inhabitants, once home of the GNoSR's finest locomotives, when it wasn't snowing or raining horizontally in a force 12 breeze, (which here is considered fine weather, by the way.) I am doing some non-railway type modelling and am away from my home computer, so you have a brief respite from being completely blown out of the water until I return to Wales!! So, polish up your hanging buttresses and your Palladian windows, you're gonna need 'em, mate!! :training:

cheers,

Iain

Right Robinson, I await your return, you can't hide forever, Inverurie, Siberia, whatever but, and all due to my eternal generosity and sympathetic tendencies that I use sparingly whenever I meet a struggling adversory, I've put it to the Guys who are  in agreement that we should start off with windmills in which case, you win the first round.

So make the most of it....It's only one windmill, per persom, per post.

Cheers.

Allan.