"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Allan,

Lovely roof detail there on the shed roof.  You have captured the atmosphere well...... :jester:

Pleased you noticed, I coppied the Robinson method - take photo's of the real thing, and tell everyone it's a model !

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Allan,

Lovely roof detail there on the shed roof.  You have captured the atmosphere well...... :jester:

He has indeed - but if you produced a model looking like that, with the contrasting colours in the cladding, everyone would say it was wrong!

• Like 2

He has indeed - but if you produced a model looking like that, with the contrasting colours in the cladding, everyone would say it was wrong!

Not if Robinson built it, he's been getting away with it for longer than I have !

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

My latest scratchbuilt loco - YEAH, RIGHT DOWNES !

attachicon.gif186.JPG

Allan, you've gone wrong! I told you not to paint that prairie in Malachite green...and those P4 wheels will never accept that Triang super 4 track of yours! I have to say that I do like those etched brass roof supports, though... :yes: .

OK Allan, here's an update of a model I am actually building for myself for a change, in between other projects. I have still got loads more work to do on it, but after these scratchbuilt locos of yours I thought I had better do something! ...I'll be putting up the constructional notes so far on my blog later today.

post-18033-0-12392500-1367759202_thumb.jpg

I think I will have a lower structure to the left here...or finish the wall in peeling plasterwork, so for the moment, it is bare Das.

post-18033-0-03354600-1367759294_thumb.jpg

The rear yard area. A pattern store will be placed against the wall to the right.

post-18033-0-30870400-1367759391_thumb.jpg

A view of the long wall enclosing the foundry yard.

Hope you like them,

cheers,

Iain

• Like 11

It's sunday Robinson, why aren't you down a hole somewhere instead of giving me a hard time with models like that ?!

Anyway, s'pose I'll have to say it, even if it chokes me - brilliant ! - there, I've said it....

• Like 1

I've just been looking through my picture files again Iain and I'm fast running out of ideas, so if you don't want me to hit you with that cathedral again, ease back bro, you have been warned !

Jeeze, why did I ever start this Thread....bxxxxy Tetford....

• Like 1

Just couldn't resist this one Iain, just don't let Petra see it, it might give you ideas !

attachicon.gif172.JPG

I like the underpinnings on those jettied upperworks...beautiful, Allan! I do like a good hanging buttress.

PS: pray tell me, what is a "Hanging Buttress" ?!

The hanging buttress...in my excitement at glimpsing this new direction that your modelling had taken I mixed up "flying buttress" with hanging something or other. I can only blame my subconscious.  I know that you are a master of the flying type, witness your ....bl@@dy cathedral....

In OED: hanging buttress n. 'a buttress supported upon a corbel, and not standing solid on the foundation' (Webster 1864).

They are generally regarded as a decorative feature. I note that it is not included in the Wikipedia article on buttresses, and am minded to add it, with links to Iain's use of the term and the picture of Allan's model. Plus, of course an internal link to the Wikipedia page on Innuendo. 

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1

It's sunday Robinson, why aren't you down a hole somewhere instead of giving me a hard time with models like that ?!

Anyway, s'pose I'll have to say it, even if it chokes me - brilliant ! - there, I've said it....

We were planning to go down a mine but my partner in crime has to work this weekend...and she's not too happy about it. Your post about the loco made her laugh, though!

We were planning to go down a mine but my partner in crime has to work this weekend...and she's not too happy about it. Your post about the loco made her laugh, though!

Strange you should say that Iain, my partner's always laughing at not so much what you say, but at your models!

Seriously though, it's becoming a bit worrying because she asked me if I had ever met you and I  told her that I've spent the last 40 years trying not to, and when she asked me if you were handsome I had to lie and say yes. 

No, she loves you really Iain, we all do!

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1

Strange you should say that Iain, my partner's always laughing at not so much what you say, but at your models!

Seriously though, it's becoming a bit worrying because she asked me if I had ever met you and I  told her that I've spent the last 40 years trying not to, and when she asked me if you were handsome I had to lie and say yes. 

No, she loves you really Iain, we all do!

Cheers.

Allan.

Cues music.."We've been together for forty years...." 

let's see, I saw your first article in 1977, was it? So it's coming up to that soon. When are you going to tell her that the all-year tan you boast of is actually Colron Jacobean oak??

Thanks for lying anyway, I have an image to keep up. Thats's why we spend so much time underground, where Petra doesn't have to see my face  :scared:

cheers,

Iain

Yes, structure building can get fraught at times, especially when trying to outdo that Downes. I don't think I have put Darvill's yard up here, have I? Here it is...

post-18033-0-89259500-1367783103.jpg

And here's a wheelwright's workshop built at around the same time, 1979/80/

post-18033-0-00086800-1367783171.jpg

• Like 7

OK Allan, here's an update of a model I am actually building for myself for a change, in between other projects. I have still got loads more work to do on it, but after these scratchbuilt locos of yours I thought I had better do something! ...I'll be putting up the constructional notes so far on my blog later today.

attachicon.gifWeylands 1.jpg

I think I will have a lower structure to the left here...or finish the wall in peeling plasterwork, so for the moment, it is bare Das.

attachicon.gifWeylands 3.jpg

The rear yard area. A pattern store will be placed against the wall to the right.

attachicon.gifWeylands 6.jpg

A view of the long wall enclosing the foundry yard.

Hope you like them,

cheers,

Iain

I think i'm going to have kittens. This must be the sexiest model I've ever seen ;)

• Like 1

Talking of handsome Iain, Lionel was  the whole nine yards, every womans dream  ( even my late wife's ! ) - six foot plus, muscular, a profile to die for, but wanted to cut cardboard into little bits for the rest of his life when he could have ended up in Hollywood - with us!

Cheeres

Allan.

BTW, brill B&W models, such atmosphere, you learnt well, too damn well !!

Edited by allan downes