"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Dear Iain

Thankyou for paying  for the champagne and caviar when we met in Aberdeen.It was lovely stuff and much appreciated.

PS. In reply to your PM.Yeah that'll be fine just stick the money in a brown envelope and pop it in the post.

Yeh, and haggis might fly!

• 4 weeks later...

On some of the black and white pictures it would be nice to see the colours for comparison, for really comparing the models you need colours. Rust, water, concrete,lighting effects got to be colour.Also prefer real models not magazine articles - because magazines have a habit of photoshopping.

That said. Gorgeous thread. There is a lot of GREAT work here. You are both exceptionally talented. But if I had to choose just the one pictures? It would be Robinson's little canal scene 4th picture in post 61, well lit, well photographed, well executed, and to be honest I am a sucker for water features. 

Thank you for sharing.

Guest jonte

On some of the black and white pictures it would be nice to see the colours for comparison, for really comparing the models you need colours. Rust, water, concrete,lighting effects got to be colour.Also prefer real models not magazine articles - because magazines have a habit of photoshopping.

That said. Gorgeous thread. There is a lot of GREAT work here. You are both exceptionally talented. But if I had to choose just the one pictures? It would be Robinson's little canal scene 4th picture in post 61, well lit, well photographed, well executed, and to be honest I am a sucker for water features. 

Thank you for sharing.

Ouch, Jaz!!!!!!!!

Incidentally, has anybody heard from either Downsey or Robbo recently?

Perhaps they've both passed away - after all, I'm reliably informed they were classmates of J.K. Keen, founder of The Model Railway Club  :D

I'll get me coat!!

Jonte

Why ouch?

I loved the work, check out the likes and craftsman lists. I just said I like colour pictures too for comparison.And I named my favourite.

The magazine reference? I buy a lot of magazines love them and expect them to be polished, I was referring to this comparison thread.

Theres no ouch.....

The rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated...just been very busy building models for commercial customers, a very demanding lot (only joking if you're reading this, dear lovely customers...)  Jaz, thanks for your very kind comments, I am really flattered.

Jonte...you are in so much trouble. :triniti: Well, of course not, but I've been wanting a chance to use that emoticon for ages!

cheers guys, will be back soon with more pics,

Iain

Guest jonte

The rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated...just been very busy building models for commercial customers, a very demanding lot (only joking if you're reading this, dear lovely customers...)  Jaz, thanks for your very kind comments, I am really flattered.

Jonte...you are in so much trouble. :triniti: Well, of course not, but I've been wanting a chance to use that emoticon for ages!

cheers guys, will be back soon with more pics,

Iain

Hi Iain, and good to hear from you again!!

Glad to hear also that you've been busy of late and business is as good as ever.

Btw, in my current location of Bolivia, might I add that I'm not in the least bit scared of your idle threats  :D

Welcome back,

Jonte

• Like 2

check out his blog, Jonte- there's a rather lovely Bagged Clay loading point going on at the moment. Jaz - I believe the magazine scans are the only record of these examples of Allan's wonderful work. 

Good to see you popping your head above the parapet, Iain!

Lee

check out his blog, Jonte- there's a rather lovely Bagged Clay loading point going on at the moment. Jaz - I believe the magazine scans are the only record of these examples of Allan's wonderful work. 

Good to see you popping your head above the parapet, Iain!

Lee

Thank you, Lee...I had to respond as Jonte had accused me of being as old as Methuselah and furthermore, dead. Now he's run off to Bolivia to escape my ire.

As everybody knows, I'm only dead from the neck up, due to all that botox.

cheers,

Iain

Holly Icon bashing batman

Andy needs to come up with a script for batch stamping like/craftsman  on a thread like this or I will and up with RSI.

to save my poor mouse clicker, please just accept one Mega Craftsman from me   :clapping:

Edited by Kal

Lack of action due to a week in Scotland - not a week of wanting to be in it, but a week trying to get out of it - all roads end miles up an unchartered glen and a wall of rock called a mountain.

Why does every road lead to Inverness and nowhere else ?

Over to you Iain.

Cheers.
Allan.

Edited by allan downes

While my speciality is falling in mud and wading in it underground, I haven't tried to depict it it veryoften. I made an estuary scene for Tetford Quay, though...apologies to Allan, but I will have to roll out a couple of shots.

post-18033-0-84752100-1371312187.jpg

post-18033-0-70387200-1371312053.jpg

post-18033-0-88810300-1371312108.jpg

Edited by Iain C Robinson

Here's one of more mud...it's against the light and not very good, but you can see that someone has chucked a bike in. The stone support once boasted an impressive Mike's models crane, but that was felled by my lovely missus while she was "weathering" the quay. I suppose that was a bit of weather with realistic structural damage!

post-18033-0-36290800-1371312803.jpg

My long-suffering friends won't be surprised to know that the "mud" here is Das clay, stippled and shaped, then covered with various flock types. I read somewhere that feathers, the type sold for craft applications, can make convincing seaweed...if I have to make another quay, I will try the idea out.

Edited by Iain C Robinson
  • Like 4

Very fine, Allan! I hadn't actually seen the large pic before. I like the doors of the tall building opening on to the water, like at Chester. It doesn't look like this water is your renowned PVA method, but stippled glass??

cheers pal,

Iain

struggling to keep up...

Very fine, Allan! I hadn't actually seen the large pic before. I like the doors of the tall building opening on to the water, like at Chester. It doesn't look like this water is your renowned PVA method, but stippled glass??

cheers pal,

Iain

struggling to keep up...

Actually Iain, it was my first ever attempt at stippled PVA and though it seemed to work well enough, the canal basin was to dark - should have been a dark murky green as opposed to matt black. 

If it looks anything like Chester, it's strictly. coincidental as I just invented the whole scene but those kind of loading doors were quite common.

"" struggling to keep up...""

You bet I am !!!

Cheers.

Allan.

Guest jonte

Great stuff, guys, and thanks for sharing.

Great to know that you're both still firmly in the land of the living although I just hope I've kept the receipt for that mass card I bought you both!!

Iain: may I ask how you achieved that 'organicky' weathered look to the corrugated shed roof on Tetford Quay, please?

Best wishes,

Jonte

Great stuff, guys, and thanks for sharing.

Great to know that you're both still firmly in the land of the living although I just hope I've kept the receipt for that mass card I bought you both!!

Iain: may I ask how you achieved that 'organicky' weathered look to the corrugated shed roof on Tetford Quay, please?

Best wishes,

Jonte

Hi Jonte,

as far as I can remember, I painted the roof first with an acrylic grey like Humbrol 27.  I then gave the roof a thin wash of rust colour, again acrylic, and let it dry. Then I splashed the roof sparingly with Mek Pak solvent and sprinkled weathering powders over this...rusty sienna colours mostly, with a little grey ash (ground up pastel). The roof was made from wills corrugated sheet, so the plastic solvent wrinkled the paint and slightly dissolved the plastic underneath in places. I blew the excess off to taste, and then gave it a light matt varnishing.

You can also sprinkle weathering powders directly to something you have just painted, to give it a really rusty look. Acrylic works well for this.

Hope that helps,

Iain