Hornby Schools Class

robmcg

Hi Rob

Would it not be better if you stated a thread just for your photo shopped models?. 

Sorry they offend, I thought they were relevant to the subject.  Tons of my pics on 'Hornby Best Ever'.

The N15 pis and Schools pics now removed from this thread. I know they annoy a lot of modellers.

Have a good 2018

Sorry they offend, I thought they were relevant to the subject.  Tons of my pics on 'Hornby Best Ever'.

The N15 pis and Schools pics now removed from this thread. I know they annoy a lot of modellers.

Have a good 2018

Evidently, though Heaven knows why. I think they're rather good, Rob: don't give up!

Hi Rob

Would it not be better if you stated a thread just for your photo shopped models?. 

Even the weathering looks photo shopped.

The weathering is genuine.

The whole picture is edited.

I'm weary of the reaction of 'serious' modellers, there are many here in other threads who express strong and negative opinions. Andy Y tells me he has had to deal with many complaints when I have perhaps put too may pictures in threads I didn't start. I have stopped doing that except with an offer to remove them.

My railway modelling is all around the pleasure of buying, collecting, appreciating and photographing 00 steam-prototype RTR, and although my photo-editing is of no interest to many here, some of whom are outright damning and  somewhat hostile, I mention with some trepidation (because IMO it is irrelevant) that I cannot do any particularly tricky modelling because of serious multiple injuries from a motorbike crash 44 years ago when I was 23, I am wheelchair-bound or often bed-bound, T5 paraplegia, complications leave me with only one working hand, among other things, not least very serious head injuries. Through most of the 44 years since a high speed crash off a Triumph Daytona into trees I have been independent and fit. The photo editing is these days my great pleasure, I am a committed box-opener. I shouldn't have to make any excuse for that.

I have seen other contributors to this largely excellent forum suffer bullying and hostility because of their poor language or other skills, most I suspect leave never to return.

I repeat that the pics in this thread of N15 30452 and various Schools locos I thought were relevant to the thread, I haven't got a thick skin like some excellent people here.

I have major head injuries and have been thrice left under observation in hospital in a coma, not expected to live, so you would think that I ought not care about criticism of my computer art, but I do. 

Above all I want to share my love of excellent 00 models, and my love of actual railways..

Curiously, I have a Facebook page 'BR Steam Photos' where a couple of thousand people follow my art and have never in three years and over 2,000 pics received anything like the opprobrium dished out by a few particular prominent and talented people this forum. I have another page 'US Articulated Steam Locomotives' with over a thousand followers, again, nobody offers negative comment, they share a love of railways. 

I don't recall wanting to mention my paralysis and disability here before but I hope it adds a bit of perspective.

As my Compuserve boss from the late 90s used to say with great effect sometimes, (she is/was a successful law teacher at Rutgers),  "sigh".

I'm rambling and tired now, better leave it at that...

cheers and thanks to those who offer encouragement.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The weathering is genuine.

The whole picture is edited.

I'm weary of the reaction of 'serious' modellers, there are many here in other threads who express strong and negative opinions. Andy Y tells me he has had to deal with many complaints when I have perhaps put too may pictures in threads I didn't start. I have stopped doing that except with an offer to remove them.

My railway modelling is all around the pleasure of buying, collecting, appreciating and photographing 00 steam-prototype RTR, and although my photo-editing is of no interest to many here, some of whom are outright damning and  somewhat hostile, I mention with some trepidation (because IMO it is irrelevant) that I cannot do any particularly tricky modelling because of serious multiple injuries from a motorbike crash 44 years ago when I was 23, I am wheelchair-bound or often bed-bound, T5 paraplegia, complications leave me with only one working hand, among other things, not least very serious head injuries. Through most of the 44 years since a high speed crash off a Triumph Daytona into trees I have been independent and fit. The photo editing is these days my great pleasure, I am a committed box-opener. I shouldn't have to make any excuse for that.

I have seen other contributors to this largely excellent forum suffer bullying and hostility because of their poor language or other skills, most I suspect leave never to return.

I repeat that the pics in this thread of N15 30452 and various Schools locos I thought were relevant to the thread, I haven't got a thick skin like some excellent people here.

I have major head injuries and have been thrice left under observation in hospital in a coma, not expected to live, so you would think that I ought not care about criticism of my computer art, but I do. 

Above all I want to share my love of excellent 00 models, and my love of actual railways..

Curiously, I have a Facebook page 'BR Steam Photos' where a couple of thousand people follow my art and have never in three years and over 2,000 pics received anything like the opprobrium dished out by a few particular prominent and talented people this forum. I have another page 'US Articulated Steam Locomotives' with over a thousand followers, again, nobody offers negative comment, they share a love of railways. 

I don't recall wanting to mention my paralysis and disability here before but I hope it adds a bit of perspective.

As my Compuserve boss from the late 90s used to say with great effect sometimes, (she is/was a successful law teacher at Rutgers),  "sigh".

I'm rambling and tired now, better leave it at that...

cheers and thanks to those who offer encouragement.

Rob, your stuff is excellent.........please keep posting.

Mike

• Like 1

Why do people complain? The forum is full of superb models on unfinished layouts (or even just test tracks), models just taken out of their boxes (or not taken out), weathered models, ancient models, CADs and every variation we can think of. Everything is appreciated by some and not others. If people don’t like a posting, then they only have to ignore it. Rob does more than most to accommodate critics by confining himself mostly to certain threads.

What are we modelling? When it comes to steam, good surviving colour pictures are rare and good video even rarer. Go back farther and there is no colour at all. Why on earth not use models as starting points to re-create what used to be?

All the best for 2018, Rob!

I really don't see how anyone can object to your pictures.

Even if they don't like them - and I can't think why they wouldn't - then pass over and read the next bit that interests.

There are lots of things on RMweb I don't read as I don't particularly have an interest in the topic, but I wouldn't for a moment suggest they be banned.

A bit like people whingeing about something they consider dreadful on the TV but continuing to watch - change channel or press the "off" button!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 2

Interesting thread ![/b

Because it has two traction tyres in addition to a reasonable weight.

Anybody know if you can buy replacement plain driving wheels for the Hornby schools ( loco drive models). I have a couple of Schools locos and the traction tyres have come off on one of them and they will inevetably all rot one day.

Interesting thread !

Seperate cab ?

Yes the cab is seperate and yes if you know how to go about these things, the whole model can be taken down to its many seperate parts.  

Thanks - any tips on 'if you know how to go about these things'? I was planning on gentle pressure and some pressure with a craft knife in unseen areas. Any solvent that could be used to disolve glue on hidden areas to assist? or other tips? I also have a castle cab to swap...!

I think the question was how to remove Cab and smokebox.

It was actually ' are the cab/boiler/smokebox seperate parts? but 'how' is also useful, as per my comment in the line above...!

Interesting thread ![/b

Anybody know if you can buy replacement plain driving wheels for the Hornby schools ( loco drive models). I have a couple of Schools locos and the traction tyres have come off on one of them and they will inevetably all rot one day.

This is the path I intend to follow with my schools.... when I've sorted my cab/chimney issue... One of the best railway mod videos on youtube imho, even if scissors are somewhat abused!

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

Rob, your stuff is excellent.........please keep posting.

Mike

I love seeing Robs pictures, they are completely refreshing, to go further, i’m Surprised none of the model companies have commissioned you for some of their catalog work, or even a calendar.

Keep going, I, as I’m sure many others here, appreciate your efforts.

• Like 1

Interesting thread ![/b

L

Edited by 71000

• RMweb Premium

Rob, I'm sorry to see the negativity has arisen again - I wonder if the persons making those comments are, er, known in the context previously?  Some folk have pet hates - mine is folk who have pet hates and can't keep it to themselves.

Regardless - keep it up feller.  Your work is skilful and appreciated by many.

post-10195-0-53424100-1514919416_thumb.jpg

Thanks - any tips on 'if you know how to go about these things'? I was planning on gentle pressure and some pressure with a craft knife in unseen areas. Any solvent that could be used to disolve glue on hidden areas to assist? or other tips? I also have a castle cab to swap...!

It was actually ' are the cab/boiler/smokebox seperate parts? but 'how' is also useful, as per my comment in the line above...!

This is the path I intend to follow with my schools.... when I've sorted my cab/chimney issue... One of the best railway mod videos on youtube imho, even if scissors are somewhat abused!

I

Edited by 71000

Locos with traction tyres. Funny but only Britain seems to have problems with such locos...

Because of the history of traction tyres in the UK. Typically made in a soft compound which dirts up and has short life before rotting or stretching. Further issues: they are visibly conspicuous and plainly not metal and thus degrade the model's accuracy, limit the number of driven wheels with pick ups, if the mechanism design is not well laid out can reduce the pick up effectiveness of adjacent driven wheels; and since it is the driven wheels that are the most efficient at current collection this again is degradation of the model.

Personally I find that a well designed mechanism with weight in the right place does the job every time without traction tyres anyway, and both Bachmann and Hornby have demonstrated the ability to do away with traction tyres even on wheel arrangements like 4-4-0, with satisfactory traction from all metal tyres. (Unfortunately the Schools was designed before Hornby got this point.)

Now there are better traction tyre formulations. Rivarossi - now owned by Hornby - were using a high grade translucent traction tyre which is both near invisible and doesn't dirt up since the 1970s, and this tyre material is long lasting, like over forty years! While it isn't what I want, were Hornby to switch to this material it is likely that as UK customers saw its benefits objections to the traction tyre would dwindle rapidly. (There's no tyre spares sales to speak of in this product however.)

• Like 1

Indeed. I have just dug out my "Westminster" as there have been a few alterations to these models in the last few years. 

Once the chassis is removed, you will see by looking inside the boiler. That the boiler is actually a cast metal weight. The cab and running plates being plastic, are two further seperate parts. The cab is glued both to the rear of the boiler, and to the running plate underneath the cab.

Good Luck.  

Two further - you mentioned changes to the schools. Aside from loco-tender connection, anything else major. Is my current thinking of interchanging parts from a Green 'Brighton' (Sanda Kan) to Westminster (post SK) even possible?

If the boiler is metal (I knew this was the case on the T9, didn't realise Schools as well), am I correct in thinking the smokebox is plastic? Part of the running plate moulding?

Basically I am now thinking that swapping the Boiler AND Cab between running plates/smokeboxes might be less risky than removing the cab from boiler, and also eliminate any difference in pain finish between cab and boiler of two different model batches... (leaving only slight difference between cab and running plate).

Edited by G-BOAF

Because of the history of traction tyres in the UK. Typically made in a soft compound which dirts up and has short life before rotting or stretching. Further issues: they are visibly conspicuous and plainly not metal and thus degrade the model's accuracy, limit the number of driven wheels with pick ups, if the mechanism design is not well laid out can reduce the pick up effectiveness of adjacent driven wheels; and since it is the driven wheels that are the most efficient at current collection this again is degradation of the model.

Personally I find that a well designed mechanism with weight in the right place does the job every time without traction tyres anyway, and both Bachmann and Hornby have demonstrated the ability to do away with traction tyres even on wheel arrangements like 4-4-0, with satisfactory traction from all metal tyres. (Unfortunately the Schools was designed before Hornby got this point.)

Now there are better traction tyre formulations. Rivarossi - now owned by Hornby - were using a high grade translucent traction tyre which is both near invisible and doesn't dirt up since the 1970s, and this tyre material is long lasting, like over forty years! While it isn't what I want, were Hornby to switch to this material it is likely that as UK customers saw its benefits objections to the traction tyre would dwindle rapidly. (There's no tyre spares sales to speak of in this product however.)

I

Edited by 71000
  • Like 2