farren’s workbench. Page 15 Going modern well mostly

farren

Cheers for that oz I'll pick some up over the week what would you suggest for lining any in the humbro rage as that's all you are getting

in leicester and would prefer not to have to make an order for just one tinlet of paint.

IIRC, the colour that you want from the Humbrol range is No.71. It may not look very yellow but it does work in the small scales. In that as most of the lines are over scale in the small scale  and if you use the correct colour it stands out to much.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

Hi horsetan it's sill red, but the camera dose not help it is darker.  The rest as about to be sprayed with red primer,.I have been practicing with the bow pen and will put up some pics if i ever get the lining right what ever happens i won't use fox transfers again don't like trying to lay one on top of another 

Hi horsetan it's sill red, but the camera dose not help it is darker.  The rest as about to be sprayed with red primer,.I have been practicing with the bow pen and will put up some pics if i ever get the lining right what ever happens i won't use fox transfers again don't like trying to lay one on top of another 

Hello,

I think it is your camera.It looks more like Ford Cardinal Red (Cortina IV))than Leyland Damask Red(Triumph Toledo/Maria etc)Very common colours in their day for the vehicle repair industry and both as different, next to each other.

trustytrev. :yes:

Edited by trustytrev

Hello all,

red is a bit of a bad colour with digital cameras in that it normally shows up as too red.

The same loco the first one with flash the second with out. 

post-8920-0-83654300-1376951406_thumb.jpg

post-8920-0-19588200-1376951365_thumb.jpg

Painted with red oxide primer and Rover Damask Red.

OzzyO.

• Like 5

The close-up shot emphasises to me just how undersized the cabside windows are

Hello all,

a while back Horsetan posted the above, but now Farren has posted some larger photos I see what he means, compare these two photos 

post-8920-0-99768900-1376990135.jpg post-8920-0-92176500-1376990253.jpg

It may help to make the windows look better if the inner frame was removed.

OzzyO.

.... now Farren has posted some larger photos I see what he means, compare these two photos 

attachicon.gifSAM_0271.JPG attachicon.gifCopy of Anne 8.jpg

It may help to make the windows look better if the inner frame was removed.

It would, but not quite far enough. Contrast with Tim's build of the Judith Edge "Princess" etches.

The same photo contrast above also shows errors in the relationship of the rear firebox join to the cab front - the giveaway is that the washout plug detail is not in line with the cabside windows. That's something else to beware of when using the ProScale etch - the back end of the firebox needs to be "pulled down" a bit.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

i have measured the window to the drawing it may in prove it a bit, but not much and that's only if I do not mess it up like I did with the British legion, the cab would have to be striped unsolder straighten out as it comes as a perfumed part to make sure it all lined up. not to mention where to start it dose not have a correct edge to start from the window are set to low they are to short, and the width is out too. the way round it could be to have  some new window eacthes made cut out the old ones and go from there may be try to pick up a spare cab  if one ever comes up one ebay. then again you are half way to having a new cab made that way. i did think of the comet cab, but I don't think its right for a princess.. 

• RMweb Gold

simplest way would be an over lay file all the detail of the cab have a thin over lay made how much is the question, no need to half destroy the cab, I think that may work. 

Edited by farren

• RMweb Gold

this my first attempt with a bow pen some bits need a touch up or a local repaint some wheel splashes and the cab but on a hole not too bad I think.

as for the windows I may have to live with them for now i don't wont to mess up a reasonable model by trying to put them right my self as for having some made the money might be better speant on getting other kits setting in my to do cupboard built. but it will be done at some point  

post-12485-0-53383700-1377274182_thumb.jpg

Edited by farren

Sorry mate, that just does not do it for me. Have a look at this photo,

post-8920-0-73712300-1377289617_thumb.jpg

The yellow line is too thick, on the real loco the yellow line is is only about 1/8" wide. Please see below, these dimensions are for a "Duchesses" but are approx. correct for the "Princesses" as well.

post-8920-0-02226600-1377290131_thumb.jpg

post-8920-0-44181400-1377290136_thumb.jpg

post-8920-0-34493500-1377290141_thumb.jpg

OzzyO

• RMweb Gold

hi OzzyO out of interest how thin can you get your lines? they are  under 0.5 mm the tender below the foot plate and the loco foot plate are about 0.25mm by eye, boiler bands need the black next too them which should make them batter along with the cylinders. but I am using a modern bow pen I bought new 10 ish years ago.and have only just dug it back out so have no experience if it's good or bad.

the tender has just had the Nitromors washed off ready for a respray the bow pen i would say  will do .2mm line by eye but no better   

Edited by farren

• RMweb Gold

the tender is back in red, but no black that will be added after the lining  I'll try the lining on that tomorrow and put some pics up what I was thinking is to line the edge of the cut out and the bottom edge of tender chassis   this will hopefully negate the need for the black next to it.  seems some models tend to have this any way and dose not look to bad in 4mm also help to keep it a clean edge. i'll do the same with the loco platform and cylinder lining, i had it to far from the ends on the cylinder covers the rest seems it was right just too rough and wide so the is also back in the Nitromors apart from the boiler which has just had some masking to thin down the lining. any tips on lining would by welcome 

i think this is the 4th pant job might even be the 5th on some parts but it dose look much better

Hello Farren,

that is looking a lot better. I forgot to answer one of your questions about my lining IIRC I got down to about 0.008" (0.02mm) that was with a bow pen that would now be about 40 year old. I gave up painting locos a good while back as it takes too long.

To save yourself some time the front of the cab is not lined that was always in red with no lining.

In B.R. days some of the tender backs were lined but some were not? It's also the same with the tender steps some had full lining and some only had it around the edge.

You will know this but please paint the firebox sides under the footplate black.

Starting to look very nice,

OzzyO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After multiple strips and re-paints I think I have it looking much better I've fitted the pipes under the cab they are supposed to be solider to the  Cartazzi frames but doing it that way they get in the way of the two screws which hold the cab and platform to the main frames so i solder them to a 2mm wide strip of brass this has a hole drilled in the middle so the cab is screws together then the pipes are just screw to the middle screw which is for the tender tow hope that make sense. the how thing needs a wash in warm water to remove any marks before the transfers and shed plats etc are added. 

post-12485-0-97468000-1379241809_thumb.jpg

post-12485-0-20023000-1379241831_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

after setting down and just looking at it with a critical eye I am still not happy with the front steps and the cab will need to be sorted out in the future as I am starting a 1st year of CAD design at collage this Tuesday that is one thing that will be sorted out i ve the drawings for the cab i just need the skills with cad now and the spare cash feeling a bit broke after paying £750 for the 1st year of the course so it will be a while before the cab is done, but that should give me time for more practice with the bow pen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

lining done transfers applied tender all finished pick up fitted tension hook fitted just needs varnish loco needs bang plat buffers cab detail fitting break gear pick ups and a dcc chip and the motion gear finished but its getting their.

post-12485-0-88198100-1380714842_thumb.jpg

post-12485-0-72636100-1380714868_thumb.jpg

post-12485-0-46358400-1380714915_thumb.jpg

Edited by farren
  • Like 1