farren’s workbench. Page 15 Going modern well mostly

farren

• RMweb Gold

I thought I would start my next project  it is princess was that a groan I hard there... its ok this one is a princess coronation. I will be using the Hornby main chassis and may be the tender chassis too unsure on that the other bits will be the Hornby body with comets body kit to convert it to a Ivatt example and the comet tender. this might technically be a RTR bash but I have put here as a the tender is a full kit and also the two princess can be shown together when finished well that my excurse any way. Iain (92220) has given me suggestions on the tender as to it being built with pin point bearings or even maybe using part of the Hornby tender chassis this would give me extra pick ups. photos hopefully will follow when the pc plays ball all the library's have just stop working since windows 9 up grade. I have most the bits now just the comet bogie plus bogie wheels, and name plates etc.        

Edited by farren

• RMweb Gold

Have been looking on flicker and have noticed that 46257 had electric lights fitted I would like to fit the model with working electric lights if anyone sells them. Had a look on express models but can't find any on their website. Any ideas welcome. Also might give a smoke unit a go to. With this model

Have been looking on flicker and have noticed that 46257 had electric lights fitted I would like to fit the model with working electric lights if anyone sells them. Had a look on express models but can't find any on their website. Any ideas welcome. Also might give a smoke unit a go to. With this model

Don't forget that these electric lights were a lot dimmer than the ones on locos now. The steam loco lights were only about the same as a paraffin light with a smaller lens.

Hi farren

Both 46256 and 46257 had electric lights fitted for a while, but they carried oil lamps as well in case of (reasonably regular?) failure. The electric lights were removed at some point. I'm away at the moment so can't check the dates, but it was before 1960, if that makes any difference.

Looking forward to your build!

Iain

I didn't know the Princesses had Cartazzi frames. You learn something new every day.....

They don't. They have a bissel truck between/under the rear splayed out frames. Cartazzi axle boxes have lateral (albeit on a radius, movement in the horn guides in fixed frames to allow the rear axle to move sideways on curves. LNER pacifics and V2s had this arrangement.

• RMweb Gold

They don't. They have a bissel truck between/under the rear splayed out frames. Cartazzi axle boxes have lateral (albeit on a radius, movement in the horn guides in fixed frames to allow the rear axle to move sideways on curves. LNER pacifics and V2s had this arrangement.

so  Bissel moves only side to side. but Cartazzi can move side to side with a twisting as well? dose any one have a picture of the real things please?   

• RMweb Gold

as for the model that's all going to plain.... Not my plain mind you! :O  opened the comet box lots of nice bits built the rear truck, had a look at the tender today its the right tender body and sub chassis but the outer chassis is for the standard tender(keep that for one of the princess etches) so a new one needs to be ordered. opened the box with the Hornby chassis all there and working but its of a red loco! never mind went to get the body out of the box I thought it was in and out came a....a Hornby chassis loco+tender for a blue one hum no body :dontknow: . not a good day modelling. still have not worked out how to do the lights yet :scratchhead:    

• RMweb Gold

a quit update here's a pic of the Hornby truck next to the comet the Hornby one dose look very narrow next to comet

post-12485-0-61244900-1385380687_thumb.jpg

some pics of the tender parts ready to be cleaned up before soldering I was just going to use comets tender base to make sure ever thing was in the right place

post-12485-0-99389200-1385380737_thumb.jpg

then I put the comet base next to the Hornby chassis and found there is about 2mm defence between them  in width  

post-12485-0-07891100-1385380772_thumb.jpg

so should I try and remove the lip on the Hornby tender or stay with not using the comet tender base

post-12485-0-69474800-1385380809_thumb.jpg

Edited by farren
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

any know for sure if the tenders for the ivatts had lamp irons on the back and if so where they the same as other tenders of the class. the kit dose not come with any and I can't find a photo on the net. 

• RMweb Gold

the tender has had it coat of green and will show some pics tomorrow it has a couple of high spots which when dry I'll rub down and re-do. I thought I would do the lining by hand on this one too must be mad, have ordered a couple lining pens 0.4 and 0.1 width. just wondering as its green what's the best Humbrol paint to use I have the paint I used on the 46208 but am unsure if it would work as well with green?.

Edited by farren

• RMweb Gold

the tender is just about finished  the black needs tidying in the photo which was done after the pic due to bad light could not take one latter. Limning and transfers still to do after looking on the net it seems I won't have to worry about any lining on the back of the tender. I like the comet pony truck goes together very easy and following the instructions have replaced the loco tender tow bar which has had no affect on the running quality's of the loco body next but will have to wait as out of glue at the moment.  well I wait for that I think I'll finish of British Legend.

post-12485-0-17259500-1386240826_thumb.jpg

post-12485-0-40227300-1386240848_thumb.jpg

post-12485-0-21652200-1386240867_thumb.jpg

Edited by farren

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been quite on this topic for some time two reasons parts. for some parts are needed to finish off the royal which will be ordered in the next few weeks. And solford as been sitting in the back of the cupboard needing a paint strip. Now done and has been sprayed with railmatch 300 BR loco green and black looks much better. The steam generator for the light as been ditched. So the id may change to sir William stanier. Pics may follow in better light tomorrow. The lining will be next I keep thinking of getting it done by someone who knows what their doing but I dare not ask the price so probably end up going for HMRS transfers.

• RMweb Gold

I was just touching up some black on the tender when I decided to go and drop the thing. It hit the floor on its front left steps. Oh bu99er and other words to that effect. Have managed to stringent the steps out but. I want say what else has happened I'll just put a picture up and see if what I think is bad is that noticeable to you. And weather to throw in the rag a buy a new one.

post-12485-0-71861500-1436370907.jpg

post-12485-0-25520000-1436370938.jpg

• RMweb Gold

There's been two folds coursed by soldering the side to the bottom of the frame and the coal base. Which I was going to live with and just put it down to experience. The drop made tham look worse. But it put a bigger dent between them and couple more to boot. Anyway it's too late now I put a brass brush fitted to a mini drill to the side and done some filling and sanding. More to do tomorrow. The rivets have taken a battering. Ps I had started this before I saw your post peter so not deliberately ignoring you.

Hi Keith the body is pretty much as Hornby made it, I just hadn't put it on correct. But keep those eyes peeled just in case I do drop a clanger

• RMweb Gold

Yet another bad day. After getting the tender much better I saw a little bit I thought I could improve with a bit more sanding I must have put to much pressure on it. It now as a line most of the way up the side. Following the coal plate. So I have resigned my self to buying a new one and be done.

So I then thought to do the engine by putting some klear on it so I could then line it maybe tomorrow. But no its gone milky and rough and look like $#@t.

Anybody know why this may have happened and can it be put right? :(

I have now got two of my coaches out to do tomorrow. I wonder what can go wrong with that plan.

Pic of train to show what's gone wrong.

post-12485-0-64260100-1436475823.jpg

So I then thought to do the engine by putting some klear on it so I could then line it maybe tomorrow. But no its gone milky and rough and look like $#@t.

Anybody know why this may have happened and can it be put right? :(

I had a similar problem, probably due to moisture trapped in the varnish and blooming. First try a hair drier. If that doesn't work try brushing some thinners onto the affected area. That did it for me. (Or you can have a heavily weathered loco............)

Good luck!

• RMweb Gold

Cheers for that David I'll give the thinners ago in the morning. I will have to give the hair dryer a miss as I don't fancy my chances getting the misses one.

• Like 1

Cheers for that David I'll give the thinners ago in the morning. I will have to give the hair dryer a miss as I don't fancy my chances getting the misses one.

Tell her you're getting in touch with your hidden feminine!

Or maybe not..................

• RMweb Gold

thinking of renaming this topic to "one step forward TWO steps backwards"

beginning of the week i had a loco & tender which needed striping. know i have a loco being striptd & no tender!

i did try the thinners which worked a little too well  the rivet detail started to lose all its paint. never mind was worth a try.